Author Topic: It just boring me to death  (Read 1234 times)

Offline JackTail

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 8
  • Fursona Species: Dog?
It just boring me to death
« on: March 08, 2013, 08:11:49 am »
I am currently studding at college doing a IT diploma.

Problem is I am bored to death with it.

I can do it blind folded but all we do is write and write and write.

Though I love computers I don't want to be sat at a desk 9 to 5 helping idiots turn their computers on and off for the rest of my life.

What I really want to do is travel the world making documentaries and films on my own as a freelancer.

Just don't know what to do with myself. Carry on twitching thumbs for 10 hours 3 times a week for another year and a half to end up with some qualifications that probably mean bugger all in the future because even grad students can only just get a job at a fast food restaurant... Or just go out there and film something?

Just need some advise.

Offline Future

• Plays by the basics
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 2
    • FurAffinity - future4
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Re: It just boring me to death
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 03:25:24 am »
Honestly, if I were you, I'd try to ditch the IT major if possible. One of the worst things you can do is have a really boring job that you're stuck with forever. I can see how that could be a problem as you said, with the IT job and such, but personally I believe you should live life to the fullest. So yeah, go after your dream of being a film maker, even if it is a little rough at first.  :blush-fox:

Offline Subzero

• JB17
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 71
    • FurAffinity - szsubzero01
    • Twitter - SubzeroCheetah
  • Fursona Species: Cheetah
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 05:08:49 pm »
Whatever you do, make sure you have a plan for what you're doing. Like Remus said you really don't want a boring job, but with that said don't do something that will screw yourself. If you make a big move and it doesn't go the way to want it, then you shouldn't do it. However, if you know what you're doing and you're confident you can make it work, then I would go for it. I have no idea what it's like to be a filmmaker so I can't give any real advice for that.

If possible, try to juggle both your education and filming at the same time. See what you can make work with filming, and if it starts becoming something big for you, then you can follow that. If not, then you have a fallback and you would roll the dice with your studies and try to manuver a way into a good job. That's the best I can give, hopefully I was some help :/.

Offline Dakota Ikiru

• Sock's Favorite Child
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 20
  • Best Forum Lurker 2015
    • DeviantArt - cante42
    • Twitter - @dakninelives
  • Fursona Species: Arctic Fox
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 02:05:07 am »
I'd try to do filmmaking on the side until it really works out. Just don't make a "Manos: The Hands of Fate" hehe
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
OPEN THE DOOR
GET ON THE FLOOR
EVERYBODY WALK THE DINOSAUR

Offline Midnight

• Hakuna Matata - No worries.
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 20
  • When pigs fly!
  • Fursona Species: Wolf Thingy.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 02:09:26 am »
If you were to do film-making, you would want to study for that instead. As of now, your studying for my dream job :3 Sitting around telling people how to do easy things.

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 213
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 02:59:59 pm »

What I really want to do is travel the world making documentaries and films on my own as a freelancer.

Just don't know what to do with myself. Carry on twitching thumbs for 10 hours 3 times a week for another year and a half to end up with some qualifications that probably mean bugger all in the future because even grad students can only just get a job at a fast food restaurant... Or just go out there and film something?

Just need some advise.

I have an uncle who started off as a gaffer in the film trade and worked his way to the top. His qualifications are his hard-earned experience, though never achieved a single degree at uni or was a college boy. In Africa he filmed wild life working with Sir David Attenborough. He said how very difficult and highly competitive making documentaries really is. Crucially - selling them - is something else. Being a freelancer is extremely trying, and the only way to earn a crust is to have a second job. (He also said how flipping bl$$dy difficult Attenborough was to work with, haha). But anyway, my unc is getting on for retirement now, has "been there, done that" most of his life.

Frankly, I think you ought to drop this IT diploma as soon as possible as its obviously soul destroying. What other education options you have, I really don't know. But if you want to get some good groundwork experience, how about you consider VSO? http://www.vsointernational.org/ And take your film camera with you?

Offline Oscar Silver

• Life's a ball
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 7
  • Have you seen my ball?
  • Fursona Species: Dog: Golden Labrador!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 04:13:32 pm »
You could get the degree first then spend a few years on the boring job. Then when your financially stable or if the job Just isn't working out try to do some of the filming stuff. Just a suggestion :fox-:):
Life only feels short because its full of fun!

Steam: Rolling Stoner

if your wondering where my avatar went the artist said I can't use it anymore

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 213
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 07:41:06 pm »
Or how about just taking a gap year? Get away from your environment, travel a bit, clear your head and think about what you'd really like to do.