Author Topic: Dark Souls, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Praise the Sun  (Read 392 times)

Offline Renegade-Sandwich

• WHENS MAHVEL?
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 20
  • Dedotated Wam
    • FurAffinity - Renegade-Sandwich
  • Fursona Species: Gryphon العنقاء
Dark Souls is, without a doubt, the best game i have ever played its has everything you could ever want: extensive lore, great feeling combat, an interesting online aspect, challenge, a great community, and pixels. Ill cover the challenge, combat, lore and online aspect to give a good impression of what the game is.

Every time i talk to someone who has never played Dark Souls they say something along the lines of "isn't that game supposed to be unbeatable?". Dark souls is known to be a hard game but the difficulty of it is blown way out of proportion, to the point where some may refuse to even try it. While, yes, the game is challenging, it is to as hard as some make it out to be. So long as you remain patient and learn the enemies,you wont have too much of a problem. It has got the right amount of challenge to keep you on your feet, but not so much as to make you want to hunt down the games creators and make them pay for what they have done. Ultimately its high challenge comes with the satisfaction of overcoming that challenge.

The combat system of Dark Souls is among the best ever created IMO. It is a easy to learn but difficult to master system where reflexes and skill are necessary (Your gear and ability to learn long combos wont help you here). Mastering the combat system really comes down to learning roll and parry timing, but these two things lead to a high skill ceiling and a wide range of customization to fit your play style. Even after hundreds of hours into the game i'm still learning new things about the system that change the way I play.

The lore of Dark Souls is what makes it truly special to me. The first time through you may feel as if there is no story at all but if you look deeper you will find a long history of the world and its characters. There are hidden stories all around you, you just have to look. The game wont hold your hand when it comes to the lore (it takes some digging) but that is what makes it special. It takes full advantage of the potential of game storytelling leaving it up to the player to find it out on his/her own. Though even if you don't take the time to dig into the story the community is a great source of dark souls lore. I would recommend these videos if you wanted greater insight into the story: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4825DBA198EBE9B9 his whole channel is the greatest dark souls channel if you ask me.

Lastly comes the online aspect. Dark Souls has a unique online system in that players are always connected to a server with each other. Under certain conditions players can invade one another's world and deul. Players can also assist each other in boss fights and leave messages around the world for other players to find. The online community is still active to this day; however, due to the shoddy port, the PC version has some connectivity issues (these issues may or may not be solved for you if you follow this guide http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2959611).

Now don't get me wrong dark souls has some issues so ill sum those up for you quickly: Connection issues (as stated above), hackers can be a huge problem and can ruin the online experience for some, no extensive tutorial leads to some serious confusion for early players, people still run around with full giants set and mask of father (a cheap build, but not as viable anymore), some frame rate drops in certain areas for console players, bad PC port.These issues are unmistakable but don't detract from the overall experience.

TL;DR: Game is great, some issues but overall it cannot be missed. This game receives a score of 2pi/tau

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 04:03:16 pm by Renegade-Sandwich »