Author Topic: Your parents and the furry fandom.  (Read 13076 times)

Offline Teal

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 3
  • Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
    • FurAffinity - lupus99
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Re: Your parents and the furry fandom.
« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2016, 02:28:48 am »
I personally don't really feel like I need to tell my mum and dad. I am 17, and they kind of just accept that I am independent and mature enough to do what I want. I think that if I were younger, I might need to tell them in order to have someone to go to cons with but I can probably go myself soon anyway. Both my parents are open minded, especially my mum so I don't think they would be too bothered even if I did tell them. Again, being furry for me is just an interest and I don't feel the need to tell them every genre of music I like or what I like doing with my friends etc. 
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Scar

• SC72
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 0
  • Two sides of SC72, this fandom revived the 2nd
    • DeviantArt - scarclaw72
    • FurAffinity - scarclaw72
    • TheLastWarriorSC72
  • Fursona Species: Cat
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2016, 12:01:34 pm »
one reason I told my parents is because I know that it can be impossible to hide things forever (especially with my parents) but I knew if it ever did come up when I was hiding it, that it would be much harder explaining furry fandom to them (because they are people who have been fed misinformation) when they were mad at me.  They would likely think I was into the more adult aspects (which is not why I am involved honestly) if they knew I was hiding it from them.  It would have been much harder to convince them, as they would likely not believe me.  This is just one example of my list of reasons.

And also to those people who just say "Don't treat it like a big deal because it not" well we know it's not a big deal but we are kind of being forced to make it one.  The reason we had to treat it like a big deal is because we have to accept many adults (and others) have eaten the stereotypes and exaggeration the media has represented us with in the past.  We don't want to make it a big deal it's just if we don't treat if carefully Then people's lives can turn horrible just because of a misunderstanding.  Trust us if we could treat it like it is no big deal, many people would not need to hide their furryness.
I'm  here for the art style, the creativity, and most of all the community.  There have always two sides of SC72, and this fandom gave me a reason to bring out the second, more hidden version that is outside of The Warrior Story.  -TLW SC72

Offline M1chl0

• dead af m8s
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 8
    • DeviantArt - M1chl0d
    • FurAffinity - michl0
    • Twitter - M1chl0d
  • Fursona Species: River Otter.
« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2016, 01:06:22 pm »
Honestly, although this is the kind of thing i wouldn't talk about, my parents really don't mind, and they actually are supporting my work into it. As a matter of fact, i even bothered to introduced my furry drawings to other members of my family, and they genuinely enjoyed my work.

I actually even got my mom interested into fursuits at somepoint (first time i introduced her, i was worried at first she would react to dodgy stuff), to the point she got hours looking through about fursuits making (she was into clothes/sew-working before this, so i guess it makes sense)
So shocked when i saw her reaction to it, then again, i probably shouldn't have.  :lol:

Probably just random luck, i guess. Feel sorry for others who do have stricter parents. :/ I guess it depends where or whom you live with.

>inb4 preachy af i hope i'm not
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:19:01 pm by M1chl0 »
  • Pride Flag - pansexual

"dont let ur dreams be memes" -- some crazy man.

I draw things sometimes! :) ~
 ~ >>> FA | DA <<< ~

Offline Tappie

• Psychology & Sociology Reasearcher.
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 18
  • Who Am I?
  • Fursona Species: Manokit
« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2016, 02:39:05 pm »
"WTF is that? A naked man with a dog head? Do you want us send you to insane asylum?"
And "the most rude parent" title goes to :
My Dad!! Everyone give him applause
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Four Legendary Hunters are here.
To defend innocents, and Seize all villain.

Offline Scar

• SC72
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 0
  • Two sides of SC72, this fandom revived the 2nd
    • DeviantArt - scarclaw72
    • FurAffinity - scarclaw72
    • TheLastWarriorSC72
« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2016, 08:02:25 pm »
Honestly, although this is the kind of thing i wouldn't talk about, my parents really don't mind, and they actually are supporting my work into it. As a matter of fact, i even bothered to introduced my furry drawings to other members of my family, and they genuinely enjoyed my work.

I actually even got my mom interested into fursuits at somepoint (first time i introduced her, i was worried at first she would react to dodgy stuff), to the point she got hours looking through about fursuits making (she was into clothes/sew-working before this, so i guess it makes sense)
So shocked when i saw her reaction to it, then again, i probably shouldn't have.  :lol:

Probably just random luck, i guess. Feel sorry for others who do have stricter parents. :/ I guess it depends where or whom you live with.

Mine are a little bit stricter (then again maybe not because I'm still very new to the fandom, so maybe they'll get used to it eventually) but still very open compared to other people
I'm  here for the art style, the creativity, and most of all the community.  There have always two sides of SC72, and this fandom gave me a reason to bring out the second, more hidden version that is outside of The Warrior Story.  -TLW SC72

Offline M1chl0

• dead af m8s
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 8
    • DeviantArt - M1chl0d
    • FurAffinity - michl0
    • Twitter - M1chl0d
  • Fursona Species: River Otter.
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2016, 10:48:33 pm »

Mine are a little bit stricter (then again maybe not because I'm still very new to the fandom, so maybe they'll get used to it eventually) but still very open compared to other people
Yeah, it really depends. Some parents will think its weird/odd then get used to it later. Some, not really. Some others will find it sickening because of the parts that are weird, some others will have no problems about it. It always depends on them, or how they learn about it. Whatever it is, people will always find it weird/be judging at first. Nothing is wrong being different.  :lol:

Then again, i know nothing, so im probably not someone to say.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:53:40 pm by M1chl0 »
  • Pride Flag - pansexual

"dont let ur dreams be memes" -- some crazy man.

I draw things sometimes! :) ~
 ~ >>> FA | DA <<< ~

Offline TheSecondRachel

• Manatee Queen
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 58
  • Icon by Nagi <3
    • DeviantArt - TheSecondRachel
« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2016, 09:26:22 am »
My mom knows about fursuits apparently omg

She doesn't see anything wrong with it- I'm happy to have accepting parents ^^'
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Offline ☆Sugar☆

• We are the exiled ones
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 166
  • The lost daughters and sons of Cybertron
    • DeviantArt - SugarLonghorn
    • Twitter - NoNotExactly
  • Fursona Species: Longhorn
« Reply #167 on: November 04, 2016, 10:12:51 am »
My parents never cared. But it's mostly because they never found out about the negative things in the fandom, and I intend to make sure they never do. They just thinks it's weird, but they don't care, and I'm fine with that.
Now my brothers, that's a different story...
  • Flag - xmaslight
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers

"Everyone assumes that if you make jokes, you're happy. Why? Why is that?" ~Swerve
please pet cow~art tumblr~other tumblr~deviantart

Offline AlfieTheWolf

• Red Level
  • Candies: 1
  • Loves bones and being petted :D
    • FurAffinity - EJDaBoss
  • Fursona Species: Moss Wolf
« Reply #168 on: November 04, 2016, 02:59:32 pm »
My parents found out by looking through my snapchat. Fortunately my mom let me draw furries and stuff like that, but she doesn't like me talking online but I do it anyway. I'm not sure about my dad, but I don't think he is on either side of the situation. I really hope in the future I can go to cons and that they will support it, ^^
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: His, He, Him

Offline Felesmic

• Felesmic
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 17
  • If I look dead try poking my discord or something.
    • FurAffinity - Felesmic
    • Twitter - Felesmic
  • Fursona Species: Silly Foxy
« Reply #169 on: November 05, 2016, 07:00:23 am »
I believe my parents know about me being a furry considering I made a fursuit head and lots of anthro art on my walls (like all of my wall space is covered in sketches) I also done believe they care as in a bad way. They support me but a little too much xP
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: They/Them/Theirs or He/Him/His
Some gay fox boi - signing off!

Offline Marke

• Kinda Shady Timber Wolf
  • Red Level
  • Feel free to add me on Steam
    • DeviantArt - xMoonShade
    • FurAffinity - Solfinity
  • Fursona Species: Timber Wolf
« Reply #170 on: November 14, 2016, 02:42:26 am »
Not ever going to attempt to try and explain it to my parents ever again. Things already went bad enough with my mum. When I tried explaining it to her shes like "ooooh, so you like anime?" I had no choice but to reply with yes. Never telling her, never.
Lets keep it that way

Offline ..Momo..

• Candies: 2
    • DeviantArt - momoisgay
  • Fursona Species: Dog
« Reply #171 on: November 18, 2016, 11:11:09 pm »
I haven't come out to my mum yet but she does know someone that's a furry that she's friends with.  :fox-;):
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay

Offline thunderdrago2003

• Candies: 2
  • A shy Clydeorb Dragon
  • Fursona Species: Clydeorb Dragon
« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2017, 08:58:32 pm »
My parents don't want me to be a furry  :sad-fox:
I want to talk about furry related stuff. I did say to someone at school that I was a furry one time, and they told everyone. Then, they tried to make fun of me. I got mad at this point. I'm pretty much a "hidden furry".
A dragon that can't fly (me) is now currently in a good mood

Offline radio

• found dead in miami
  • Forum Elder
  • Candies: 749
  • Fursona Species: Ram
« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2017, 10:30:05 pm »
My parents don't give a shit honestly
I just draw animals and stuff
They don't want me to become a starving artist though. They like my art but they don't want me to major in art. That's their only problem.
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
  • Award - Graphic Artist
:shrimp: :shrimp: :shrimp: :shrimp: :shrimp:

Offline Kolju

• Green Level
  • Candies: 55
    • DeviantArt - PrinceDeathDefying
    • FurAffinity - gotebloke
    • Twitter - gotebloke
  • Fursona Species: Ashfurn
« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2017, 08:50:48 pm »
My parents kind of introduced me in a way, actually...

The first time I heard of furries was from a book called "Draw Furries" that they bought me for Christmas which had an introduction explaining the fandom in the front of it. My cousin suggested it to them because she's a furry and knew that I liked animals.

My dad often jokes he would get a fursuit if I designed him a character, but once he sees the prices he's going to change his mind.
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
{ Toyhouse | Thiscrush | Pet Me | Avatar Credit }

Offline The not scary Dave

• INFP Personality~
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 64
  • [icon by a friend named Shaidz on dA]
    • DeviantArt - Adadave
    • Twitter - @AdadaveE
  • Fursona Species: A Fox with a werid mind
« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2017, 12:19:59 am »
My parents really have little idea what the fandom is and are very misinformed about it tbh but then again with how me and my parents are I've tended to get nervous telling them about stuff and end up figuring what they want to hear and make up a story around that that's really half-truth half-Iwantyoutoleavemealoneit'sbeen2hoursomg...

My parents know I draw my fursona and anthropomorphic animals. Heck my dad's even slightly jealous I can draw stuff. My mom pays little attention to it and is just like "k. That's cool."
A bit before I showed my parents my sketchbook though I was going through a phase of depression because I'd been currious as to what my religion was hiding and was pretty hurt/angry over what I found and more importantly what I'd do with myself after learning it all. (so, an existential and "purposefullness" crisis...). And when my parents found out I had a plan for killing myself they asked me why I wanted to kill myself and in a panic I talked about how I was doubting my faith and how I'd heard stuff on a forum making fun of mormons called Deviantart. (that's the story they heard... :P)
So they said that I shouldn't be on such a forum and to get off of it.

And thus my chornic lying to my parents to make sure they heard and thought about me what they wanted began.

I still feel guilt that I've used my parent's religion to manipulate them into thinking everything's OK with me and I'm a perfect mormon child... I'll have to explain it all to them in a paper so I don't get nervious and start making up more stuff...
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - homoflexible
  • Pronouns: He/His/Him They/them

Reality is the things that, no matter how hard you try, won't cease to exist.
Plz don't be werid XP -> http://www.thiscrush.com/~adadave

Online Setta Batzantium

• Queen of the Caves
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 7
  • Trapped in the cavern of my mind.
    • FurAffinity - SettaBatzantium
  • Fursona Species: Bat
« Reply #176 on: February 11, 2017, 08:51:52 am »
Nope. And I don't really think they will, just because either it's not worth telling them (Hey, mom, dad, your already weird and fandomy daughter has also picked up this new fandom) or it's weird enough that my dad would disapprove (D'yall mind if I wear a tail? And maybe some bat wings?)

My dad's pretty culturally up to date, since his entire job is counseling young knuckleheaded airmen. So he probably knows "What Furries Are" according to normal media or whatever severe oddball has walked into his office.

My mom would like the artwork. And she likes the artwork I do. She would think y'all are weird.

Then again, I think y'all are weird. The difference is that it's a compliment if it comes from yours truly.
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

INTP | 5w4 | TCK | PK | Military Kid
Addicted to lists | Dragonkin | Amphitherekin | Two Tulpas, one named Pi and one called B

Offline FunFurMechanic

• Red Level
  • In Search For Friends
  • Fursona Species: Yellow Husky
« Reply #177 on: February 11, 2017, 06:22:41 pm »
Not ever telling them

Offline Raven Foxx

• yip
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 32
  • rawr
    • DeviantArt - Ravenhoof
    • FurAffinity - Raven-Foxx
    • Weasyl - RavenFoxx
  • Fursona Species: Droxen
« Reply #178 on: February 12, 2017, 06:37:38 am »
My mom used to hate the fandom due to the CSI scandal, but after I introduced her to fursuit crafting, she accepts it!
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - genderfluid
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: They/Them/Their or She/Her/Hers

Offline SpudShark

• "The Sketchy Spud-Scoffing Shark Dude"
    • DeviantArt - SpudShark
    • FurAffinity - SpudShark
    • Twitter - SpudShark
  • Fursona Species: Shark
« Reply #179 on: February 12, 2017, 07:32:57 pm »
I think the whole taboo about it is pretty damn grim.
I've been telling people that I drew my friend's sonas and they start to get a little unnerved.

I haven't told my parents. My dad wouldn't take it casually and my mom would be very caught up in the rumours floating about. It's honestly a grim fate that the fandom, which encourages group identity (through fursonas and the like), is something that has to be hidden at times, or from certain people.