Author Topic: Your parents and the furry fandom.  (Read 12972 times)

Offline Herb

• ✧・゚:*✧・゚:* \(◕‿◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 27
  • Neato Furino
    • FurAffinity - fascinocat
  • Fursona Species: White Chikadee
Re: Your parents and the furry fandom.
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2013, 06:53:07 am »
I know I've posted here before and what not but I thought I'd share my recent talk with my mom about it. X3
We were sitting on the couch, me browsing Ft and her playing some weird game on her phone. I started thinking about fursuits and mentioned (after much hesitation whether I should do so or not) that I might buy one eventually when I get enough money. She seemed really cool about it, and even supportive. And when I talked about wanting to go out a run around town with the others, she laughed and said she thought it would be really cool to see that.

This whole time I thought she would be weirded out by me in a suit, but after talking more about it, she seems pretty excited. 
“She loves the serene brutality of the ocean, loves the electric power she felt with each breath of wet, briny air.” -Holly Black, Tithe.

(add me if you wanna, just tell me you're from FT. :> )

Offline Morris Archeltum

• Idle wanderer and watcher of clouds
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 1
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2013, 10:47:18 pm »
Telling my parents is one of the last things I ever plan on doing. My family knows of the furry fandom and has a very bad idea of it...you know...the usual stereotype that we all dress up in fursuits and screw each other in a giant animalistic orgy. Family and extended family make fun of the fandom if the subject ever comes up, which isn't often, but when it does it gets really hard to be around them when they do. Of course, they're understanding people, and if I sat them down and told them what it actually was, I think they'd understand, but I don't plan on crossing that road unless I have to because it could create some very unnecessary drama.

And really...what motivation do I have for telling them? Will it make my life any easier, or make it any less awkward to talk about the subject with them...of course not. It's not a subject we would talk about even if they did know, and i don't have a fursuit in my closet that needs explaining (yet), so...yeah, not going to happen any time soon.
OCD TEST
does                              it                                       bother      you                          that     the               text    doesn't    line                                     up

Offline JackTail

• Red Level
  • Candies: 8
  • Fursona Species: Dog?
Re:
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2013, 08:04:10 pm »
Last month I told my mum I wanted to take a day trip out to a convention, Confuzzled.

At the time she did not know anything about it.

Last week I was asked by a friend to come for the whole weekend as she wanted someone to go with her.

So I got a free bed in her room in return for helping her over the week end.

I told my mum about it and she did not like the idea of me staying in a room with another person that "I met online" and even more that my friend is a girl...
Though I would normally agree with her about things like this my friend has been very nice to me, I also have a ticket that I can go back home at any time if something did go wrong.

She felt the need to check out what Confuzzled is and that did not go down very well.

From looking at it she found that the organizer of the event is just scamming "young people" into spending a lot of money to get drunk and have parties in other people's bedrooms.
Well that is her interpretation of what goes on... Though I am sure it does go on a small amount I don't intend to be apart of it.

She then came out saying that there are some people at this event dressing as animals and that it is all weirdos.

This was all being argued while driving home from getting picked up.

I wanted to tell her about the fandom but she would not let me even have a word in.

So over the last week I have got it down to "I don't want you to go" instead of "You are not going".

I am 18 so she can't stop me.

Problem is she organised to see a family member during the same weekend. This could easily be rearranged to another weekend but she wont.
She also said before she investigated the Confuzzled website that she would be happy to drive me to the event for a day while she went into the near city to go shopping.

So she is not that bothered on seeing her family friend if she offered this. No?

I guess she is just being selfish. She has always done this and prioritized herself over everyone.

So I will try one more time tomorrow over email, I hope I can change her mind. Currently lost faith in her due to the fact she said shit about something she is speculating about. Feel ill about it.

So out of this I can say that using email is a lot better than trying to talk directly to your parents. If you are able to use it, it is a lot better than talking directly to them in some cases.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:05:42 pm by JackTail »

Offline Nazia

• Red Level
  • Candies: 3
  • Itami / Suki's mate <3
    • DeviantArt - ToxicwolfX5
    • FurAffinity - Nazia
    • LiveJournal - toxicwolfx5
  • Fursona Species: white tiger/wolf
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 02:05:04 pm »
i told my mom in the car a long time ago and at first when i said "hey mom can i tell u something?" her reaction was almost swerve off of the road and yell at me "WHO DID YOU GET PREGNANT?!?!" me staring blankly at her  . . . . . . . . "ummm   . . . .no one? i was just going to say im a furry?". . . .  she never really wants much to do with me so she really doesnt even care . . .  .but my dad was cool with it and come to find out he was a secret fur himself since he was around my age at the time when i told everyone (around 14 years old) personaly ive been a fur since i was only 9 my older sis introduced me then i found out a few of her and my friends were as well
youre finishing lines have been said your script ends here you role in my play is no more .....but as with any romance play your place has been replaced bringing in fesher talent and bringing new blood to the cast body i am both the main character and director and you meirly and extra you are no longer needed you are dismissed ....after all she is a much better actor than you and she did not try to rewrite my play beneath my nose and keep it secret she meirly sugests this is hers and mine graveyard and moon sceen you had your chance but your acting just wasnt to par..... until death .....so long......Au revoir

Offline Vincent

• This deer has an insatiable appetite...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 150
  • ... For cookies >~<
    • DeviantArt - aspinonthings
    • FurAffinity - Vincent-the-deer
  • Fursona Species: Deer
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 03:13:41 pm »
I'm not really sure what's gotten into my parents recently, but since my last post on this thread, they seem to want to completely remove me from furries because "it's perverse and furries have deep-seated issues."

I'm not even supposed to be on here. My Dad whitelisted my internet to a very select number of sites, but I managed to disable the filter.

If any of you decide to tell your parents, show them the true side of the fandom first, and DO NOT let them Google it. My parents seem to think what's said on the internet is true, despite telling them that they shouldn't turn to that to look for information.

I'm not sure how long this filter is going to stay down. If it gets back up, I may be able to disable it, but no guarantees. So, I might leave yet again, but forever this time.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Never stop fighting anything, even if you are outnumbered.
-Banner by Xantera-

Offline Ayala

• Red Level
  • Candies: 11
    • DeviantArt - AyalaDeer
    • FurAffinity - AyalaDeer
    • LiveJournal - xayalax
    • Twitter - Ayaladeer
    • Weasyl - Ayala
    • Character References
  • Fursona Species: White-Tailed Deer
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2013, 08:48:45 pm »
My father isn't quite sure about the fandom, he did take me to a furry convention and I think he had a lot of  fun there seeing all the fursuits and dealers (he's an amazing photographer and he got ALOT of good shots of some suits!) . But anyway he still doesn't know much about it still, but I think later on that he'll understand it better by going to more conventions with me.  My mom isn't quite as a accepting as my father, I keep telling her that fursuiting is like a different form of cosplay, and I think it doesn't make it so weird to them if I put it that way. Anyway, They both"try" to accept me for who I am, and I really appreciate it.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: Female

Offline shadow the woleopard

• I was once a dead man
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 12
  • Fursona Species: woleopard
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2013, 02:06:22 pm »
my parents don't know about the fandom I've thought about telling them but even if they except it my life will probably go unchanged but then there's the more likely outcome where they think I'm a freak and get all my tech taken away so for me just keeping quite about the fandom around them is best.
I stood apposed to God Himself and yet He pardoned me.

Offline Oscar Silver

• Life's a ball
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 7
  • Have you seen my ball?
  • Fursona Species: Dog: Golden Labrador!
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2013, 04:34:56 pm »
Nobody I know in real life knows of it, and even on the internet I usually don't talk about it much except with closer online friends who also are furries or are ok with the fandom. I've got absolutely no idea how my parents might react, as there's nothing about me or how I act that really even hints at it so it would just sort of come out of the blue.

You pretty much took the words off my keyboard (it's an expression i'm not saying you copied me) apart from the fact that I love animals
Life only feels short because its full of fun!

Steam: Rolling Stoner

if your wondering where my avatar went the artist said I can't use it anymore

Offline SweetDoggo

• shiba inu king
  • Red Level
    • Twitter - @SweetDoggo
  • Fursona Species: Shiba Inu
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2015, 05:33:22 pm »
My mom and my brother know, and they don't really care at all. But my dad, he has seen basically anything but good about the fandom. He watched THAT CSI episode and he has seen yiff before. And I already have a bad relationship (ex. He's Conservative and i'm a Liberal) and saying i'm a furry would make him extremely angry and say stuff like "You're not a furry!", which he did the exact same thing when he did when I came out as a Homosexual.
  • Pride Flag - gay
bark bark

Offline Kettz

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 145
  • ech
    • DeviantArt - ViolentJade
    • FurAffinity - Kettz
  • Fursona Species: Border Collie
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2015, 06:43:26 pm »
Mine are just downright uninterested in things I do sometimes. Sometimes they'll ask me what I'm looking at/talking to. I explained to my mom that it was some artistic thing I like. She thought it was cool. My dad doesn't really care. Its just when I told my sister I was a furry, she automatically assumed I like screwing animals. Then she walked up to my dad and showed him the Furry Force(Jezz thanks sis, for having our dad assume I'm into it as a fetish. Even though I'm not). My dad laughed at it, then gave me a odd look. He never talked about it since with me. I pretty much keep it to myself. I have no reason to even mention it to them.

Offline ReptilianFluff

• Ob
  • Red Level
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Fursona Species: Nile Crocodile
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2015, 07:11:14 pm »
My mom couldn't care less, and supports me doing what I enjoy so long as it's not a danger to myself or others. My dad, on the other hand, has no idea that I am a furry. He would probably find it odd and perhaps even think it something worth making fun of.
"Crocodiles are easy. They try to kill and eat you. People are harder. Sometimes they pretend to be your friend first." - Steve Irwin
Profile picture courtesy of cuddlyshark

Offline Serana

• Local Vampire Queen
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 247
    • DeviantArt - WolfGodess12
    • FurAffinity - SnowFeline
    • Twitter - SnowFelineArts
    • Weasyl - SnowFeline
  • Fursona Species: Vampiric Cougar
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2015, 07:23:15 pm »
Both my parents don't care. Once in awhile my dad will ask me stuff and say he's heard people say the fandom about sex and bestiality. I'm 19 and been in the fandom for awhile so I'm honest about the sexual stuff now. I tell him I'm not into that stuff and he should know that but I really don't care.
Both my parents have supported my art habits including supplies for my first fursuit(fabric provided by my aunt), so they don't care I'm a furry. My moms only gripe is me going to cons and meets by myself, not because of stereotypes though she's just paronoid and overprotective :/
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

AKA Nagi, feel free to call me whatever.
Proud Otherkin and slightly ashamed Fictionkin
Don't take things I say very seriously, I tend to joke around.

|FurAffinity / ToyHou.se / Tumblr / ThisCrush|

Offline Kaneo

• Attack For Lacrosse (Profile pic by Shiragi)
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 14
  • When Life Gives You Lemons...Make It Awesome
    • Twitter - @Kaneo_Malamute
  • Fursona Species: Alaskan Malamute
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2015, 07:24:03 pm »
Somewhere I already gave my story about it but I will tell it again. My mom out of the blue while watching A Christmas Story you know the one where the kid wants a red ryder bb gun. Anyways there is a scene where Ralphie comes in wearing a bunny suit and my mom says "Did you know that some people like to dress up like that, they are called furries". I could not even handle this so I left the living room dying of laughter. So I come back when I can contain myself and finish the movie with her. So after the movie I asked my mom how she knew about furries well it turns out she luckily watched the one televised documentary in support of furries.

So a week later I tell my mom I'm a furry. She legit dies of laughter. So she immediately texts my older bro to tell him and he texts me the next day "Are you really a furry?". So I say "Yes" and then we talk about it he asks me about my fursona and he says don't do anything weird also it turns out one of his employees is a furry. 

So now me being a furry is a running joke with my older brother me and my mom!

Offline Rewind

• << X <<
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 31
  • << X <<
    • DeviantArt - DemonicFurr
    • FurAffinity - DemonicFurr
    • Weasyl - DemonicFurr
  • Fursona Species: Arctic Fox
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2015, 07:24:56 pm »
My parents don't know about me being a furry, nor do they even know about the fandom to my knowledge. I have no reason to tell them because it's a hobby, so it's not a huge deal or anything. I'm sure they'll find out in the future and if/when they do I'm sure my mom and stepdad won't really care, whereas my dad and stepmom would probably be weirded out by it.

I don't really care how they take it. Whatever their thoughts are, I'm sure they won't make a huge fuss over it, plus it's not like they could do anything about it anyway :fox-:P:

As far as they're concerned at the moment, they just know that I like to draw cartoon animals, hehe
  • Pronouns: They/Them/Their
<< Previously known as Koyu! << Icon made by yours truly << Signature base by BronzeHalo! <<

Offline Raccoaster

• A second-hand goods enthusiast
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 71
  • Raccoaster is kill
  • Fursona Species: Raccoon
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2015, 08:46:20 pm »
Blissfully unaware, though they probably wouldn't care if they did know.
Coaster element of the forever :p

Skyrush's stengel dive! The most intense element I have ever experienced that combines unbelievable laterals with thigh crushing airtime. Insane is an understatement.
RIDE POV LINK(Element at 0:41)

Offline Oliver, Frosty Dragonboye

• Incandescent Dragon, 60 Watts
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 117
  • Need someone to talk to? PM me!
  • Fursona Species: Furred Dragon
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2015, 12:19:29 am »
Mine don't like it. at all. Apparently it equals bestiality or something to them, and it's just " weird " I don't think they know of this site at least, because I've successfully feigned being an "ex-furry" to them for a while @~@ really stupid and I still don't understand it.

* Shamelessly ranting about this again *

Offline Cam

• Photographer, car nut, gamer, con goer and professional turn off and on againer
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 55
    • FurAffinity - animosus5
  • Fursona Species: Snowleopard
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2015, 01:20:18 am »
I know I started the thread.

Mum is still cool with it. Put some fursuiting pictures in my 18th Birthday photo album slideshow which was pretty neat, as well as she absolutely loves the art that I get and post on Facebook!

Add me on telegram @Animosus

I'm from Perth, Western Australia but travel interstate frequently

Offline ___

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 43
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2015, 01:27:45 am »
Peh. Considering my mom just LOVES to take everything she doesn't know, blow them out of proportion, and in worst case scenario...
Y-yeah... I do not think it best for me to tell her yet...

Offline Voltz

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 306
  • Fursona Species: -
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2015, 01:29:53 am »
My mom knows about it more than my dad and she seems fine with it. Though she warned me that there are a lot of creepos and such to watch out for, and she isn't really a fan of the adult side of the fandom, which is understandable
  • Pronouns: -

Offline Molon Labe

• Y'know, I've been wanting to say this a long time now, SCREW YOU IT'S MERRY CHRISTMAS!
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 24
    • FurAffinity - texasinfidel
  • Fursona Species: Alligator
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2015, 02:20:42 am »
I'm probably never going to tell my parents directly. Most likely they don't know what a furry is although we've seen folks in fursuits via AFV and occasionally Wal-Mart. The problem is, all of my family including myself are Conservative Christians so more than likely they're going to find out about the fandom eventually and when they do I'm worried they'll find out about the majority of atheist, liberal, and LGBT demographics. All of which go against how I was raised. I know for sure they'd whoop my ass if they thought I was atheist. Should I tell them directly if they ask or should I leave the occasional hint that I'm a fur? At most they might think I'm becoming a liberal and completely disown me. Any advice on what I should do?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 02:25:38 am by Molon Labe & Czar Noveske »
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
A SOLDIER'S SPIRIT IS FOREVER IN MY HEART
THE LOVE OF MY COUNTRY WILL NEVER DEPART
SO IF EVER MY COUNTRY SHOULD CALL UPON ME
I WILL GIVE MY LIFE TO KEEP US ALL FREE