Author Topic: Your parents and the furry fandom.  (Read 13752 times)

Offline Fozz Poloski

• FT's official Polomage
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 55
  • Icon Coloured By Mystic
    • Twitter - https://twitter.com/Fozzy_Guy_YT
    • In Development...
  • Fursona Species: Huskint-Mint Themed Husky | Polo Husky
Re: Your parents and the furry fandom.
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2015, 08:20:36 pm »
Major confrontation recently. My bro saw my art and found out I am a furry. Unfortunatly it all hit the fan as he is quite against the fandom and started explaining to my parents that a furry is someone who's "life is ruled by constantly stairing at animals all day long" and how we're all "fat, social outcasts and have lisps." He's now got my parents worried, that's how bad it is!  :sad-fox:
However I now need to show them how wrong they are. It's really sad and disappointing to see how arrogant people are and slow to actually be understanding and to listen.
I feel sorry for you, idk what my parents will think, I'm kinda glad I don't have any siblings to worry about (my only one is part of the fandom too) But still, my sympathy is with you all the way mate... :fox-:):
  • Flag - mincepie
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/Polo/It/They/Them
***May the polos be ever in your flavour***
If u ever want to talk I'm nearly always on Skype --> fozz.the.husky :lol-fox:
When you're trying to count and this happens...

Gaming Channel , Vlogging Channel , Furry Channel , Twitch Channel

Offline Mury

• We're damaged, badly damaged,
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 24
  • But that does not make us wise.
    • DeviantArt - peroxideprinces
    • My blog
  • Fursona Species: Angel Dragon
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2015, 11:58:09 am »
I've probably posted here before, but probably not about my parents:
My mom doesn't really know, but she'll realize sooner or later... After all, she's buying my fursuit supplies :fox-;): Not sure how she'd react, although she is one of those people who's fine with socially controversial things until it affects her life somehow.
My mom's boyfriend, on the other hand thinks that:
1. All furries are zoophiles
2. All furries have sex in fursuits
3. All furries believe they are actually animals
As you can see, I'm not going to tell him anytime soon.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
DeviantArtTumblr
Take your tears, put 'em on ice,
Cause I swear, I'd burn the city down to show you the light

If I don't reply to you or take a very long time to do so, don't take it personally! I'm bad with words and people and socializing, so, uh, I don't really talk much when I don't feel like I need to. I'm really sorry!

Offline SovietBear

• Glory to Russia!
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 7
  • Glory to the Motherland!
  • Fursona Species: Bear
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2015, 01:36:45 am »
I never told my parents, but I don't think they have the slightest idea of what a furry is.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His etc.
Thanks to Mystic for making this icon for me!

Offline Sharkbait★

• gay purple sparkleshark
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 119
  • bee bop to the top
    • DeviantArt - sharkdivus
    • FurAffinity - Shark-Bait
  • Fursona Species: Bull shark
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2015, 01:42:58 am »
my mom actually went with me to a furry convention lol and then helped me pay for a fursuit
my dad thinks it's weird
so does my mom but
they respect me and my hobbies
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline SovietBear

• Glory to Russia!
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 7
  • Glory to the Motherland!
  • Fursona Species: Bear
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2015, 01:45:55 am »
my mom actually went with me to a furry convention lol and then helped me pay for a fursuit
my dad thinks it's weird
so does my mom but
they respect me and my hobbies
Nothing is weird, everyone just has a different aspect of normality. That is why one thing that is normal to 99 people is weird to the remaining 1. So while your parents think it is "weird", it is just not in their perspective as normal.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His etc.
Thanks to Mystic for making this icon for me!

Offline Fozz Poloski

• FT's official Polomage
  • Green Level
    • In Development...
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2015, 05:55:57 pm »
I think... I'm gunna go for it... I think I'm gunna tell my mum that I'm a furry :3
Wish me luck! :fox-:P: :fox-;):
  • Flag - mincepie

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 301
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2015, 06:20:31 pm »
I think... I'm gunna go for it... I think I'm gunna tell my mum that I'm a furry :3
Good luck! ^^
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline Cadmus

• if life ain't just a joke...
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 154
  • ...then why am I laughing?
  • Fursona Species: angel dragon
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2015, 06:23:49 pm »
Good luck! ^^
go for it! ^^
               >
              U
  • Pronouns: her, hers, she etc
icon is by awkward rage
pondering if it's safe to eat the pringles since 2000

chibis by nagi

Offline Lambda Lumis

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 19
  • There's nothing worse than wasted opportunity.
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2015, 06:50:25 pm »
Hope it goes well!!!   :lol-fox:   :D
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Fozz Poloski

• FT's official Polomage
  • Green Level
    • In Development...
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2015, 08:14:17 pm »
Thanks everyone... I'm going to have to do it tomorrow though because my mum went to bed... There has actually been several occasions this week where I've been sooooo close to telling her but I think it's time she found out :3
Maybe I'll have to record it on my phone....
  • Flag - mincepie

Offline Fozz Poloski

• FT's official Polomage
  • Green Level
    • In Development...
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2015, 12:23:07 pm »
I started telling my mum and then left her with a video... I'm secretly recording it... :fox-:P: :fox-:P:
  • Flag - mincepie

Offline Lambda Lumis

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 19
  • There's nothing worse than wasted opportunity.
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2015, 12:25:58 pm »
I started telling my mum and then left her with a video... I'm secretly recording it... :fox-:P: :fox-:P:

What video? Was it the furry documentary?

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 301
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2015, 12:31:24 pm »

It was obviously this vid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz3Mi_OZYno what else could it be? :fox-:P:
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline Fozz Poloski

• FT's official Polomage
  • Green Level
    • In Development...
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2015, 12:31:48 pm »

No... It's Majira Strawberry's video
It went much better than I thought... At first she sorta joked about it and then she seemed ok with it...
Now to tell her about making a fursuit :fox-:P:

It was obviously this vid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz3Mi_OZYno what else could it be? :fox-:P:
plzno
  • Flag - mincepie

Offline Alastair

• You're here today, no future fears...
  • Cookies: 155
  • ...this day will last a thousand years.
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2015, 02:14:50 pm »
My parents, especially my dad, think that furries are cool. They like the fursuits, and my mom even helped me make a pair of handpaws. And we're going to make feetpaws next year. :fox-:):

I might be going to Anthrocon next year too!
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt gold

Avatar by okayyourgrace on Chicken Smoothie, signature image by Niluna on Chicken Smoothie.

Offline North Winds

• Pony
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 67
  • function North() {
    • DeviantArt - NorthWindsMLP
    • Twitter - @MLP_NorthWinds
  • Fursona Species: Pony
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2015, 01:40:50 am »
I think Im the only one in my family who knows what a furry is. My parents have been giving me materials to make a fursuit, I dont think they have any idea of what Im doing.
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pronouns: He/him/his
You can censor us, but you can't take away our freedoms!

Offline Raccoaster

• A second-hand goods enthusiast
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 72
  • Raccoaster is kill
  • Fursona Species: Raccoon
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2015, 03:13:42 am »
Eh, if they ask I'll tell them, If not, I wont. They haven't asked so far.
Coaster element of the forever :p

Skyrush's stengel dive! The most intense element I have ever experienced that combines unbelievable laterals with thigh crushing airtime. Insane is an understatement.
RIDE POV LINK(Element at 0:41)

Offline Teriksa

• SCP-055
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 14
  • Observe this wild folf.
    • DeviantArt - mageofcatswri
    • FurAffinity - Teriksa_Sunwhit
  • Fursona Species: Folf
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2016, 09:37:17 am »
I have collected my favorite quotes below. I have inserted my reactions (without quotation marks) directly below each quote. The quotes have been trimmed. The reason why they are non-attributed is because I have no idea of how to make a 'multiquote' and include more than one quotation in my post.

"I never was all "HEY GUESS WHAT?! I'MA FURRY!". I'm weird and odd to begin with so when I made a fursuit and started drawing furries my parents and family were more like, "Oh, Ash is being Ash""

Oh my god, this is awesome! That your parents are actual parents who are like 'meh, that's our child just being himself/herself'... <3

"My parents will find out once my partial gets home in the mail."

The idea of you ordering a partial fursuit without your parents knowing about the fandom or that you ordered it is really funny to me... :3

"Eh. He'll probably find out eventually. There are many times that I told him I was a furry, but he always thought I was joking because of the way I said it. He'll probably believe me once I get a fursuit, if I ever do get one."

I liked this one because of how it shows that people are ready to believe something is a joke if they aren't comfortable with it or if they think that it's 'weird'. (He might not be uncomfortable with it, but he probably wouldn't expect you to be into it, hence the 'weird'. :p)

"They're fine with me liking and drawing anthropomorphic animals and stuff but they think me wanting to wear my fursuit or tail is weird and don't let me do so outside the house. I told them the definition of a furry and that I was one but I don't think they get it. :I"

Damn! But... at least you have a tail and a fursuit, right? I have a non-custom fox head (totally not my style) and two tails (again, not my style). My parents would probably kill me (not literally) if I wore them to school.

"I told my mother, but not my father about my involvement in te fandom. What's more, she even offered to drive me to the next convention XD she says she's an ocelot"

Awh! When I told my mom and dad, my mom tried to get into it, too. She was trying to find her own fursona, and I was like, no, get away, this is my thing. Shoo shoo.

"When I told my mother she asked if she could be a unicorn!"

Did you tell her that she can be anything she wants to be if she puts her mind to it? :3

". . .  .but my dad was cool with it and come to find out he was a secret fur himself since he was around my age at the time when i told everyone (around 14 years old) personaly ive been a fur since i was only 9 my older sis introduced me then i found out a few of her and my friends were as well"

I've been a furry since I read 'Warriors' when I was, like, eight. Although... I wasn't aware that there were anthropomorphic things (aside from, like, lucario, on whom I crushed SEVERELY; I WAS SO OBSESSED WITH HIM. SERIOUSLY. HE WAS MY FIRST CRUSH x3) until I was... twelve? And I accidentally came across them while looking up how-to-draw wolves or something. I liked what they were and fell in love ;3

"If any of you decide to tell your parents, show them the true side of the fandom first, and DO NOT let them Google it. My parents seem to think what's said on the internet is true, despite telling them that they shouldn't turn to that to look for information."

Yes! I told my parents about it when I was fourteen or fifteen. They were totally cool with it! My dad started calling me wolf-boy or something, and my mom started trying to get into the fandom. Sadly, though, all of that went down the drain when my mom looked images up and started saying some really insulting things about furries.

"My mom and my brother know, and they don't really care at all. But my dad, he has seen basically anything but good about the fandom. He watched THAT CSI episode and he has seen yiff before. And I already have a bad relationship (ex. He's Conservative and i'm a Liberal) and saying i'm a furry would make him extremely angry and say stuff like "You're not a furry!", which he did the exact same thing when he did when I came out as a Homosexual."

My parents have never said that I am not a furry, but they did have that exact reaction when I told them that I was gay. My mom literally cried for three days and my dad is still in denial over it. In fact, it's been over a year since I told them, and I still can't openly talk about how I recently had my heart completely shattered and that's the reason why my grades have dropped; I brought it up with my mom and she basically called me a lying traitor, among other things. My dad has this issue where he's incredibly compulsive and impulsive (when he first thought that I was gay when I was about twelve because of my internet history, he said he was okay with it if I was, but he needed to know, and I told him that I wasn't because I didn't know if I was or not :p shame on me; I could have avoided a lot of drama) and this means that he'll make a decision without thinking it through. He commonly decides that ANYTHING that disagrees with his opinion is 'liberal' and 'brainwashing America's youth.' The sad part is that he's actually incredibly intelligent (in terms of raw powers of analysis, he is past genius-level).

"So a week later I tell my mom I'm a furry. She legit dies of laughter. So she immediately texts my older bro to tell him and he texts me the next day "Are you really a furry?". So I say "Yes" and then we talk about it he asks me about my fursona and he says don't do anything weird also it turns out one of his employees is a furry. "

Omg, I love this one! I can just see you tentatively broach the subject with her after she's made that comment about furries being people who dress up in fursuits (trimmed out of the quote) and her just being like :O :O :O THAT'S AWESOME! And I think that's adorable <3 and I'm getting sick and I might vomit/cry because it's cute.

"Peh. Considering my mom just LOVES to take everything she doesn't know, blow them out of proportion, and in worst case scenario...
Y-yeah... I do not think it best for me to tell her yet..."

Same here with my mother, though she does try to understand me and put up with my oddities. (I mean, seriously, I restrain myself but I have a host of 'strange' things about me that she puts up with, like my synesthesia, 'autistic episodes', selective OCD, and homosexuality. She doesn't bring them up, but she's, I guess, tolerant of them. Bear in mind that those things that I mentioned are not actual disorders; I don't legitimately consider myself to have OCD or autism or ADHD or whatever, but I do get these weird behavioral patterns on the occasion. I do, however, have synesthesia. My mother, whenever I tell her that something is 'too bright and noisy' often doesn't want to hear it (despite the fact that I am definitely overly sensitive to lights and noises, and they can cause me physical pain if left unregulated.))

"My dad finds it amusing, and my mom loves my art and the concept, but when I actually said the word furry, she started giggling and telling me to use protection   Not quite where I was going when I told her"

While that might not have been where you were trying to go when you told her about it, at least she has a healthy view of sexuality and an acceptance for whatever you do when it comes to that sort of thing, right?

Okay, so those were my favourite quotes.

As for my story, if you hadn't pieced it together from the above commentary on the quotes, I told my parents that I was a furry when I was fourteen. They were, at first, really supportive of it. But after about a month, my mom looked it up in images and heard some really nasty things and, without consulting with me on how I felt about the fandom (I don't really care too much for that sort of artwork. I mean, um, on the occasion, sure. I do enjoy the literature, though, but I'm not gonna admit to enjoying that sort of stuff to my mother x3) she just goes ahead and decides that furries are horrible people and that furries made me gay and that they have orgies and stuff... and it's really really really incredibly stupid of her, but that's what she believes to this day. I'm not really sure about what my dad believes. We don't get along anymore. We always disagree about the stupidest shit (like photosynthesis concerning the splitting apart of H2O to create O2 and 2H+. He said that that model was 'liberal' because '...the liberals don't want CO2 to create oxygen because it wouldn't support the global warming theory that they've come up with.') Like I mentioned above, he has LITERALLY genius-level powers of analysis, so I don't understand how he can believe these things. (By 'powers of analysis', I'm talking about IQ; he has an IQ of 156 on that scale where 150 is 'genius level'.)

PS: Fozz, whatever happened? Did it go well??? <3
> Observations intensify.

Offline Big Boss

• This fire inside me won't burn out again!
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 71
  • Big. Bloody. Boss
  • Fursona Species: Big Boss
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2016, 10:00:04 am »
I think I may or may not have told my mother already? I dunno? Um, Maybe?
I do know what her reaction to the Furry fandom is though. She doesn't care. At all. I could literally live in fursuits if I wanted and the only issue would be that I don't wash them enough to justify how often I wear them. Which is kinda the problem with me and almost always wearing cosplay of some sort or another actually. Hmm.

Offline flurrin

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 130
  • sushi dog
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2016, 10:42:42 am »
Major confrontation recently. My bro saw my art and found out I am a furry. Unfortunatly it all hit the fan as he is quite against the fandom and started explaining to my parents that a furry is someone who's "life is ruled by constantly stairing at animals all day long" and how we're all "fat, social outcasts and have lisps." He's now got my parents worried, that's how bad it is!  :sad-fox:
However I now need to show them how wrong they are. It's really sad and disappointing to see how arrogant people are and slow to actually be understanding and to listen.
I feel sorry for you, idk what my parents will think, I'm kinda glad I don't have any siblings to worry about (my only one is part of the fandom too) But still, my sympathy is with you all the way mate... :fox-:):
I think the same argument can be used for "normal people", who "stare at humans all day long" lol
  • Flag - britain
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any
profile pic by ShopePapilloma