Author Topic: Your parents and the furry fandom.  (Read 13753 times)

Offline Cam

• Photographer, car nut, gamer, con goer and professional turn off and on againer
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 55
    • FurAffinity - animosus5
  • Fursona Species: Snowleopard
Your parents and the furry fandom.
« on: March 20, 2013, 09:59:46 am »
So, what do your parents think of you being a furry? Do they know? Do they even know about the Fandom?

I best post what mine think.

My Dad doesn't think much of it, other than I am his child that is into different and interesting things. There isn't much to say there.

My Mum, well she loves the fandom and me being a furry. She knows how happy it makes myself, as well as loves the artwork and quite a lot of the people in it. Her opinion on the whole thing is that it is something that people enjoy, whatever they enjoy is up to them. As long as it doesn't harm anyone.

She has offered to pay around $200 for a wall poster, of my fursona. I am yet to take up on that offer as I would have no idea what to get on it.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:06:09 am by Animosus »
Add me on telegram @Animosus

I'm from Perth, Western Australia but travel interstate frequently

Offline Gaz

• The Mobile
  • Board Moderator
  • Cookies: 288
  • FT's Unofficial Disc Jockey
    • Twitter - @GlitterLiquor
    • Song I listen to far too much
Re: Your parents and the furry fandom.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 10:12:21 am »
I have not told my parents, but I do think they have a slight idea that I may be one, that or they think I'm oddly obsessed with animals  :fox-:P:

I have been working up on a way to tell them but I'm not exactly sure how to do that, I don't just want to barge in and randomly tell them "Mom! Dad! I'm a furry and I really want to go to a convention and look at the artwork and I need money for commissions!" So on and so fourth, Etcetera, Etcetera.

I want it to come off naturally and not awkward in any way at all.

And if I do tell them I think that they will understand and not make a big deal about it, they are very nice people and they accept pretty much anyone or anything!

So long story short, they don't know yet!  :fox-:P:

Ahhh well my mom knows now...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:09:01 pm by Gaz (Josh) »
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
Feel free to contact me with questions, concerns,
or if you just want to talk.

Offline Cam

• Photographer, car nut, gamer, con goer and professional turn off and on againer
  • Green Level
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 10:15:22 am »
I have not told my parents, but I do think they have a slight idea that I may be one, that or they think I'm oddly obsessed with animals  :fox-:P:

I have been working up on a way to tell them but I'm not exactly sure how to do that, I don't just want to barge in and randomly tell them "Mom! Dad! I'm a furry and I really want to go to a convention and look at the artwork and I need money for commissions!" So on and so fourth, Etcetera, Etcetera.

I want it to come off naturally and not awkward in any way at all.

And if I do tell them I think that they will understand and not make a big deal about it, they are very nice people and they accept pretty much anyone or anything!

So long story short, they don't know yet!  :fox-:P:

You really shouldn't think of it as "Coming out". After all it is just a hobby of yours. That is the way I have always seen it at least.

Offline Herb

• ✧・゚:*✧・゚:* \(◕‿◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 27
  • Neato Furino
    • FurAffinity - fascinocat
  • Fursona Species: White Chikadee
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 10:27:22 am »
My dad doesn't really have anything against it, but I don't think he really knows what it is, so he just is like "Oh yeah cool.." My mom on the other hand is really awesome about it, she bought me my first tail :3 she thinks its pretty cute and gave me money for a ref as long as I paid her back. I think me and Animosus are kinda lucky to have parent who are understanding about it, and don't immediately  think that were animal perverts. Josh I'm sure your parents will think its fine!  :lol-fox:, as far as telling them, I just kinda showed my mom some artwork I was doing and then slowly explained to her what it was for and why I liked it and such until she understood.
“She loves the serene brutality of the ocean, loves the electric power she felt with each breath of wet, briny air.” -Holly Black, Tithe.

(add me if you wanna, just tell me you're from FT. :> )

Offline Gaz

• The Mobile
  • Board Moderator
  • Cookies: 288
  • FT's Unofficial Disc Jockey
    • Twitter - @GlitterLiquor
    • Song I listen to far too much
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 10:33:44 am »
don't immediately  think that were animal perverts. Josh I'm sure your parents will think its fine!  :lol-fox:, as far as telling them, I just kinda showed my mom some artwork I was doing and then slowly explained to her what it was for and why I liked it and such until she understood.

It's not like that X3 I'm not worried about them thinking it's a big sexual thing, I'm just kinda confused on how to present it, I just don't know how to bring up the topic  :fox-:P:

Anyways, sorry for taking over the thread Animosus!  :fox-:):
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
Feel free to contact me with questions, concerns,
or if you just want to talk.

Offline Cam

• Green Level
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 10:37:31 am »
don't immediately  think that were animal perverts. Josh I'm sure your parents will think its fine!  :lol-fox:, as far as telling them, I just kinda showed my mom some artwork I was doing and then slowly explained to her what it was for and why I liked it and such until she understood.

It's not like that X3 I'm not worried about them thinking it's a big sexual thing, I'm just kinda confused on how to present it, I just don't know how to bring up the topic  :fox-:P:

Anyways, sorry for taking over the thread Animosus!  :fox-:):

My mum realizes it can be a sexual thing for people. But as long as the person is not a bad person, why should it matter?

Another view she puts on it is that there are people like that everywhere. So it doesn't matter really.

Also no, you havn't take over the thread, I'm still the OP  :fox-:P:

Offline DjentlemanFurry

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 39
  • How do I cookie? Add me on Skype: TheColtonFactor
    • FurAffinity - TheColtonFactor
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 12:06:39 pm »
Well let's see. Both my parents have known for about a month. My mother was pretty skeptical at first, especially considering its mainly of the online-based community. She has always been a little paranoid about online communities, but I think she's finally become at least a little bit more comfortable with it. My father was not only supportive, but he thought it was kind of cool. Even started talking about what he would be if he was in the fandom :P. So, both my parents have been pretty supportive of it.

Offline Skipper

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 19
  • Swag
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 12:07:05 pm »
My dad could care less he just got out of prison about a year ago and has no clue what a furry is but he seems fine with me making animal characters on all the games I play with him.  My step-dad is a conspiracy guy and I dont know if im missing something but he thinks furrys are a evil perverted group of individuals  :???:  My mom dosnt know and she'd probably think the same way anyways.

Offline Battery

• Zombiesaurus Rex
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 53
  • Name's Ash....Housewares. Groovy.
  • Fursona Species: Lythronax argestes
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 12:19:19 pm »
My parents have known since I became a furry. Do they know what furry is? Yeah. Do they care? Not really.

I never was all "HEY GUESS WHAT?! I'MA FURRY!". I'm weird and odd to begin with so when I made a fursuit and started drawing furries my parents and family were more like, "Oh, Ash is being Ash"

I didn't make a big deal out of it so they didn't.
DeviantArt - FurAffinity - Weasyl - Tumblr - Twitter - Skype: BatteryAcidLeak

Offline JackTail

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 8
  • Fursona Species: Dog?
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 02:41:25 pm »
Not told mine.

Though I might as if I ever wanted a fur suit id get my mum to make it.

She would also take commissions *wink*

I see it as a hobby. It is not a way of life so there is no need to come out with it.

If they don't know what it is then it is "people who like cartoon animals"...

Offline NightF0x

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 178
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 03:31:30 pm »
That's none of my mom's business. It's just a hobby. I don't see Star Trek fans having these "Mom, dad, I'm a klingon" speeches. Honestly she could care less as well.
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Vincent

• This deer has an insatiable appetite...
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 150
  • ... For cookies >~<
    • DeviantArt - aspinonthings
    • FurAffinity - Vincent-the-deer
  • Fursona Species: Deer
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 04:42:28 pm »
My step-dad is a conspiracy guy and I dont know if im missing something but he thinks furrys are a evil perverted group of individuals

^ Literally exactly like my step-dad.

He seems to think that furries are old people with a dead person in their basement.

Both of my parents find it really weird, and I can tell they don't like it. My Mom won't let me go to any sort of furmeet or convention unless she's there too.

They don't prevent me from being a furry. Despite telling me they find it really weird, they're letting me make my partial.

I really think that they'd be less weirded out about me being gay than being a furry.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:45:46 pm by Vincent »
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Never stop fighting anything, even if you are outnumbered.
-Banner by Xantera-

Offline Red Velvet

• Cake Dragon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 273
  • It's peppermint season!
    • FurAffinity - SenseiMac
    • Twitter - redvelvetdrago
    • Personal Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Dutch Angel Dragon
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 05:10:34 pm »
My parents are really chill about it, actually. My dad is kinda like, "Oh, haha, that's kinda weird... but in a good way. You just go draw your canines, alright? XD" and my mom is totally cool with it, and she's my main go-to parent for conventions. She's super lenient and thinks its really neat.

I also didn't really tell them I was, I just said I was interested in animals with non-natural patterns and being anthropomorphized.
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Trello | Portfolio | FurAffinity | Buy Me a Coffee? | ToyHouse | Dragons | Flight Rising
♥ Hopelessly in love with Proto
:aesthetic:
If you'd like to commission me, please click my Trello!

Offline shdowhunt60

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 21
  • Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion man
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 05:34:41 pm »
That's none of my mom's business. It's just a hobby. I don't see Star Trek fans having these "Mom, dad, I'm a klingon" speeches. Honestly she could care less as well.

Seriously this. I mean, it is just a freaking hobby.

Offline Larsen

• You could be next
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 21
  • I Want Crazy
    • DeviantArt - AnimalLarsen
    • Twitter - @musleh_yusef
  • Fursona Species: dog/wolf
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 05:51:54 pm »
When I show my mom my furry drawings she's like "aww how cute".
#Ifeelpretty

Offline Not-a-DJ

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 2
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 01:20:57 am »
Nobody I know in real life knows of it, and even on the internet I usually don't talk about it much except with closer online friends who also are furries or are ok with the fandom. I've got absolutely no idea how my parents might react, as there's nothing about me or how I act that really even hints at it so it would just sort of come out of the blue.

Offline Shizuko

• ざわ…ざわ…
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 12
  • Fursona Species: Alopex Lagopus
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 04:53:14 am »

Probably this. I don't see people's parents going up to their child and telling them their own hobbies, so why should we? I hate how it's so important in people's heads when it's really not.

Nobody in my family really knows what they are, but I'm not sure about my internet-saavy father who has no idea about my involvement. My mom sees some artwork and things of it on my computer from time to time and she likes some of it. Another time she saw me playing Lugaru and liked it because she has an affinity for rabbits, but hated that the point of the game is to knife or beat your opponent to death. >w>

• split your infinities
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 59
  • By irishthorns@FA
    • FurAffinity - aurorapaws
    • Twitter - aurorafatalis
  • Fursona Species: a cleverly arranged amalgamation of carbon compounds
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 03:52:55 pm »
I honestly have no idea what they think! My dad is the kind of person who dislikes the idea of conformity and would probably have no problem with furry, but he's seen he worst of it (pedofilic yiff), so I really don't what he thinks and I don't know how he would react if I tried to explain it further. My mom seems to have no problem with furry (I'm not sure weather I should be surprised or not (she is very paranoid)), but has only made a couple subtle references. One of these was when she was cleaning out the vacuum and said that it was furry. Then she added "and not your...". I didn't get to hear the rest because she walked down the hall and the heater turned on at the same time. My step-dad (hopefully) has no idea and I want to keep it that way.
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - demiromantic

None of this will matter
20 years from now

Offline AwesomeSkunkeh

• Gone a Wolf, Back a Skunk
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
    • DeviantArt - Sophaur
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 08:05:57 am »
Not telling. Never telling.

I'm sure my dad would really hate me if I was a furry even though they don't know what it is. :I

My mom would also think it would be weird. =3=
I am back, and I'm a new species entirely! :o

Offline Placeholder

• Beep
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 109
  • Boop
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 10:35:26 am »
Never telling. my parents and I NEVER look each other in the eye. I'm pretty sure my dad would go "stop looking at art and go back to your room and start studying! " because he doesn't understand the concept of being a furry. My mom is the "I don't care what you do as long as you don't waste my money and pass your exams" type of person, so yeah