Author Topic: W/M/L? Windows/ Mac/ Linux?  (Read 1646 times)

Offline DaleRedfur

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
W/M/L? Windows/ Mac/ Linux?
« on: March 16, 2007, 11:43:31 am »
what OS do you run, and do you like it?

i use or have used almost every OS but I'm using windows XP for now, at least its than vista.

Bill Gates and Starbucks have joint ownership of my soul.  :sad-fox:

Offline Commander A

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 20
  • Örülök, hogy megismerhetem
Re: W/M/L? Windows/ Mac/ Linux?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 12:15:43 pm »
Windows XP. But why does everyone say gates is evil. He steps down next year and he donates half his yearly income to charities.

Offline Okami

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 4
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 12:33:19 pm »
Windows XP. But why does everyone say gates is evil. He steps down next year and he donates half his yearly income to charities.

I currently use Windows XP Pro (SP2) but I do have a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate beside me. Just haven't bothered trying to use it yet.

As for Bill Gates, if it wasn't for his wife, he wouldn't have done any of the charity stuff at all. Not only that, he gets HUGE tax benefits by donating that much to charity. To be honest, I think a lot of it is just for show.

Edit: OSX/Linux just isn't gamer friendly yet.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 03:05:57 pm by Okami »

Offline Darkfox142

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 02:58:03 pm »
I am currently running Windows XP Pro (SP2) but i am soon to install Ubuntu, Fedora Core 6, and do a dual boot of one of those distros and windows and once i get the knowledge of how linux works from those im going to install and run full time Slackware ^.^

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 03:21:33 pm »
I use Windows exclusively, and my home network runs XP and 2000.  The server I'm building that Lupinia.net and its associated sites (this one included) are moving to will likely run either Windows Small Business Server 2003, or Windows 2000 Advanced Server.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Seraph Vulpine

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 29
  • Dracul Va Domni Din Nou
    • http://www.myspace.com/tehjaadmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 05:42:47 pm »
I have Windows XP, and I don't think I'll be using Vista for quite awhile lol.
Seven years of age is he and already in bloody war
His eyes do not turn away from all that death and gore
Father Dracul and brother Mircea are riding by his side
Proud he is of his warrior father, no matter he lied!

Offline Commander A

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 20
  • Örülök, hogy megismerhetem
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 05:47:49 pm »
I heard vista isn't good now. A guy that got vista said he'd rather switch back to 98.......

Offline Polaris

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 11
  • Causing cavities with every giggle.
    • Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 06:08:22 pm »
I've had a few windows on my home computers.
95-98-2000pro.
The one with Win95 on it was a handmedown from my dad's boss and was old.
We upgraded it to 98 shortly before acquiring this machine. It started with win98 and  we have upgraded it to Win2000pro. 98 had memory problems, but was better for me than 95. 2000pro is far better for me and I'll stick with it for a while.

I've used other computers with different OS's on them, but they weren't mine.
They ran WinXP-Win93-MacOS?- and whatever the Video Toasters at school ran on. 
:staffedit-sig:

Offline DaleRedfur

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 07:33:40 pm »
Just stay away from Vista all together, it's a resource hog. I've used a beta copy of vista and a full working copy of Vista, they both suck. there is too much security, its hard to change settings, the graphics are over elaborate and unnecessary, it's almost enough to make me run Linux. if all your hardware/software is supported by Windows 2000 than RUN WINDOWS 2000!!!!! It's the most stable windows OS so far. i would run 2000 but it doesn't support my graphics cards.

Offline Eleziek

• Cookies: 0
  • Calmer of Chaos
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 08:47:00 pm »
I happily run Windows XP pro, and will be sticking with it. Will be upgrading to Vista in about a year or so when the drivers and the like are stable. I'm not concerned with it being a resource hog, as a hardcore gamer I have a very /very/ nice rig setup that I'm always upgrading, just built a new one three months ago, and I have some faster overclockers RAM being shipped to me at the moment.

Everyone says Vista sucks now, it just needs some time to get all of the drivers and stuff sorted out.

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 10:33:57 pm »
Just stay away from Vista all together, it's a resource hog. I've used a beta copy of vista and a full working copy of Vista, they both suck. there is too much security, its hard to change settings, the graphics are over elaborate and unnecessary, it's almost enough to make me run Linux. if all your hardware/software is supported by Windows 2000 than RUN WINDOWS 2000!!!!! It's the most stable windows OS so far. i would run 2000 but it doesn't support my graphics cards.

Yeah, I use Windows 2000 on any low-end computer I have, it's a very nice operating system, and extremely efficient at using its resources.  The main reason I use XP on my main machine is because of better hardware support.

It makes me cringe when I hear people talk about upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows XP (though I don't encounter it as much now as I used to).  Operating system upgrades are a bad idea in general, the newer OS will run like crap on older hardware, but the 98 to XP (or ME to XP) conversion is particularly nasty.  Either stick with 98 and save up for a new computer, or install Windows 2000 (and save up for a newer computer :-P ).

In the case of the server we'll be moving to, the main reason I'm considering Windows 2000 is that for the server versions, it'll still be supported through 2010 (ie, can still get updates), and it's vastly cheaper than Windows 2003.  On the other paw, the advantage to 2003 is that it'll be supported through 2014, and it comes with Exchange Server already bundled, should I decide to go that route for email services.  Decisions decisions :-).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 10:36:58 pm by Felix Softpaw »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline TobyFox

• New FT Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 12:04:14 am »
I have a network with 3 computers; the server runs XP Professional, and the others two run Windows 2000 (Pro and Server). NT-based systems have more stability than the 9X based ones. :blush-fox:

But why does everyone say gates is evil.
They envy Gates, obviously because he's one of the richest ones and because of his OS. -yip!-

Offline WolvenThoughts

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 06:18:59 pm »
Well i have Windows XP and Suse 10.2 on the same computer, gotta love dual boot.

Offline North Winds

• Pony
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 67
  • function North() {
    • DeviantArt - NorthWindsMLP
    • Twitter - @MLP_NorthWinds
  • Fursona Species: Pony
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 12:07:25 am »
Mac OS X El Capitan (Its from the future)
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pronouns: He/him/his
You can censor us, but you can't take away our freedoms!

Offline Barrelwolf38087

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 5
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • FurAffinity - Barrelwolf38087
  • Fursona Species: Ambiguous canine
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 04:53:34 pm »
I have all three on different partitions on my HDD! Love all of em' my Linux distro is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, SUPER useful when my windows partition breaks!
  • Pride Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
"Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work done."
-Linus Torvalds

Offline Why do you care

• I'm tired of being bullied.
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 55
  • Screw you all.
  • Fursona Species: Who cares.
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 05:02:28 pm »
I don't own a computer sadly, but out of the choices I would choose Windows

Offline Célestin La Rue

• Colombe Céleste
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 34
  • Voler au-desses!
  • Fursona Species: Dove
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 06:22:36 pm »
      I use iOS 9 as my operating system of choice. It's ehat my iPad and iPhone use. I've been using Apple mobile products for a consoderable ammount of time, and I've come to appreciate iOS as a capable system. Apple iOS is realiable and easy to use operating system that is rapidly growing. I like the simplification of the software. It is, for the most part, stress free. It's never gave me too much problems when it comes to the operating system itself. Like all operating systems, iOS isn't completely perfect. It definately has flaws. It's not as customizable as Linux or Windows. It's heavilly regulated by the company that owns it, Apple. One of the largest faults of iOS is when it comes to extensions. Windows and Linux are expected to run Adobe Flash Player and pther programs designed to run certain features on the internet. I still see past these flaws most of the time. Apple has added better JavaScript and some more features to counter some of the internet issues. With supported third parties such as Google and the newly allied Mozilla, iOS can grow and become better as it's all ready doing.
  • Pronouns: He, Him, His

Offline Shia

• Christmas Cutie
  • Cookies: 278
    • DeviantArt - rroad
    • FurAffinity - discomanokit
    • Twitter - discomanokit
  • Fursona Species: Manokit
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 06:28:30 pm »
I use Chrome OS; it's terrible but at least it's fast.
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers
If you need anything, just ask me! My inbox is always open and I’m more than happy to help.
Avatar by Kipekee and sig emote by Avery

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 04:32:32 pm »
First off, I don't use Linux for one reason - No Adobe program support. That's a deal-breaker. You Linux people can hate me, I don't care. I'm a designer, not a sys-admin.

Between Mac and Windows: I appreciate and use both regularly. (Windows 10 and Mac OS X) Between the two, I prefer Windows for two reasons. First off, I understand and can use Window's file system more efficiently. I'm scared to file things anywhere but the desktop on a Mac just because I don't know if I'll ever find it again, but that's just me not having used it as much.

Secondly, I dislike the Command button versus the Control button. Because I've used a Windows machine more, I'm more comfortable with the equivalent of the Command button being in the corner of the keyboard rather than towards the spacebar. I know I can solve that problem by using something besides the Mac keyboard, but the Macs I use are all in classrooms or computer labs at school, and changing the hardware isn't an option. The other reason I don't like the Command button is because I use keyboard shortcuts a LOT. I use the keyboard way more than the mouse. When I'm using a Mac, I can't keep up mentally with what the Control button does versus Command. I'm used to the two being one and the same.

So I prefer Windows because I'm a creature of habit and I know the ins and out of using it. I do give major props to Apple though, I love being able to tag files and folders natively in the OS. And I love being able to preview files in thumbnails that I can't in Windows without Adobe Bridge or some other system. Files like .ai, .psd, .tiff, and others you can't preview in the file browser in Windows.

/rant
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline Xenos_TheFluffyLeopard

• Red Level
  • Sometimes people do crazy things out of love.
  • Fursona Species: Snow Leopard
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2016, 01:10:38 pm »
Personally, I prefer Mac OS X as my main operating system due to it's compatibility with all of my other devices. However, I actually use all 3 daily. I have OS X EL Capitan on my iMac and my MacBook Pro and I have a custom built computer that runs Ubuntu 15.10 and Windows 10 Pro. I do this because I am constantly reviewing various products and softwares for different companies. Which is also my source of income as a developer and tester. It is something that I love doing and would not trade it for anything.
Xenos :3