Author Topic: Coming In 2007: New Server!  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
Coming In 2007: New Server!
« on: March 16, 2007, 11:19:38 pm »
Greetings everyone!  I've been holding back from announcing this, but I think the time has come.  I'm really excited about it :-D

For the last 3.5 years, I've had a hosting account in one form or another from iPowerWeb.  They're a pretty good hosting company, with lots of space and bandwidth for the money, and a pretty good collection of features and utilities.  And, up to this point, I've been quite satisfied with their services.

However, I've been running into some issues lately that are a direct result of being in shared hosting space, or would be remedied much more effectively if I had more direct access to the server.  Database load-balancing issues in particular, as well as various email issues.  I've also wanted to install my own software for applications such as TeamSpeak.  It's gotten very frustrating, and Lupinia and its associated sites have outgrown their current home.  Thus, it's time to take the next step:  Co-location.

I've found a very good hosting location that a friend has used for years, with no trouble.  Our new server will be 100% owned by me, with no resource-sharing or overbearing administrators.  Thus, we can literally do whatever we want with it.  I even plan on running some games servers from time to time, as well as spam filtering on our email services that doesn't tag every legitimate message as spam.

The reason I'm posting this is two-fold.  Firstly, I want everyone involved to know what's going on in advance.  I aim to make the actual transition as smoothly as possible, but because of the nature of DNS re-assignments, and the way dynamic systems like forums work, there will have to be some downtime.  This will occur sometime in mid to late September, right before my current hosting account is up for renewal.  Some of the lesser-used domains associated with this server (lupinia.eu, for example) will be re-pointed early on, for adminstration purposes.

The second reason is one I'm less proud of; money.  I plan on funding the entire project myself, since Lupinia was never meant to be a capitalistic entity, nor will it ever be.  However, this will be a bit expensive for me initially, so if you're excited about this move and want to help make the new Lupinia the best it can be, I humbly ask that you consider making a donation.  It doesn't have to be a big one, every little bit helps.  I don't have an official cost for the new server, but we're looking at about $1500-2000 USD.  If we could even raise $1000, it'd be a huge help.  The monthly fees associated with this move won't really be a concern, so you don't have to worry about making a recurring contribution.  We're strictly looking for help with the initial costs.

Everyone who donates $50 or more will get free email services for life on the new server, including POP3/SMTP and webmail access.  Anyone who donates $100 or more will get web hosting space for life, as much as you need (within reason).  And EVERYONE who donates, regardless of the amount, will have their name printed on the Donations page (if they desire).

So, if you'd like to help Lupinia out with this move, please visit http://www.lupinia.net/donate.htm to view the funding options.  Thank you all for your assistance.

-Felix J. Lockhart
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

• FT Founder
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
Re: Coming In 2007: New Server!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 08:51:04 pm »
Well everyone, the new server is currently on its way to the datacenter, and will go live sometime toward the end of this weekend.  I don't know yet when FT will be moving, it kinda depends on getting other stuff set up, but I'll be sure to announce the move when it happens.  Just be aware that it's coming.

When the change happens, the URL will stay the same, but you'll probably have to login again.  Depending on where you are, it may take a day or so for your DNS servers to catch up to the current information, but this location's database will be frozen, so you don't have to worry about posts being lost.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

• FT Founder
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 09:33:04 pm »
And, here we are!
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Offline Morgan Persimmon

• Participant
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 66
  • Now with 45% more!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 03:44:50 pm »
And, here we are!
This is 2008, not 2007, but I'll let it slide.
[quote ]
(9:29:08 PM) Jamie: Heh, but for real? Not just a cat picture joke?
[/quote]