Author Topic: The Great Gatsby: A Morris Archeltum review  (Read 471 times)

Offline Morris Archeltum

• Idle wanderer and watcher of clouds
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 1
  • Fursona Species: Fox
The Great Gatsby: A Morris Archeltum review
« on: May 12, 2013, 12:54:29 am »
For anyone who is a high school senior at this time, chances are that in your high school career, you've read The Great Gatsby. It's a common part of the curriculum for most schools and, hell, maybe you're English teacher is even giving extra credit to go see the movie. Now, I was assigned this book during sophomore year, only...I didn't read it. What can I say, I was in my rebellious teenager phase :), so while I didn't have the incentive of the book to go see the movie, I went because it looked interesting and my friends invited me. Most would say that not having read the book first is a bad thing, but I think differently, it allows me to watch the movie without comparing it to the book. So now, I can just judge it as a movie without any prior expectations.

So how was it? ...well...have you ever read an online story that had a solid plot and interesting characters, but the grammar and writing style were just too off-putting...that's what it felt like with The Great Gatsby.

The pros of this movie are definitely the story and the characters, both of which I won't discuss due to spoilers, but they are interesting enough to keep my attention...although if monologuing pisses you off like I know it does some peopl, you're going to have to deal with Tobey Maguire narrating most of the movie via flashback. The acting, too, is pretty good. I especially like the subtle back and forth when Gatsby and Tom Buchanan meet at Gatsby's party.

All the flaws of this movie are on the technical side, which, most of the time, I am able to overlook, but really there was just way too many things that got on my nerves.

First off. The movie almost never sits still, as if the director had ADD or something. Everything, the delivery of lines, the transition between shots, the pacing of the scenes, it all just happens way to fast. It barely ever stays on one scene long enough to become truly invested in it and it left me feeling like I was out of breath.

Yet, SOMEHOW (don't ask me how), it STILL felt like the movie was too long. For the last fifteen minutes to a half hour (I really don't know, I don't keep track of time in the theater) I just sat there bored out of my mind. I was still paying attention, sure, but honestly, I wish i wasn't.

The film is filled with big over-dramatic close-ups that really get annoying after a while, to the point where it gave me headaches. I get that this movie is a tragedy, but trying to film the entire movie like one big dramatic moment takes away from the ACTUAL dramatic moments and makes them seem boring and mundane.

The costume choices for some of these people...I can't even explain it. This one only happens at Gatsby's parties, but there are a few characters that are dressed VERY strangely...more like modern day strippers then eccentric women from the twenties.

The set, I suppose, is okay, but Gatsby's mansion doesn't seem like the type of building you would find in the twenties either.

Above all, the music...holy crap the musical score was terrible. It's like the director KNEW that a lot of teenagers would be seeing this movie. So what did he do? He took SAMPLES of songs from the twenties, and gave them all dubstep/hiphop/pop remixes...I'm sorry...WHAT!?!?!? I have nothing wrong with any of those genres, but who thought that was a good idea. If you're going to film a movie in the twenties, is it really that hard to use music from that time period without giving it a remix? All it does is make the viewer painfully aware that he is watching a movie, which is a VERY bad thing.

The worst scenes by far were at gatsby's parties (except for the one I mentioned earlier), because all of these things collide...it didn't feel like it was in the twenties at all...in fact, my high school had a dance where the theme was "Gatsby's Party"...and THAT was a perfect example of what it felt like I was watching. A great Gatsby themed party, not the actual thing itself.

If you can look past all of this (Which, if you can, please tell me how) then you'll be left with a good story...that is...unless you've read the book. My friends who I went to see it with said they changed numerous things from the book that didn't make any sense and it was all for the worse, therefore, ruining the movie for them. You might find something to like about it, as there are redeeming qualities about it, but not enough of them to make me say that I would want to see it ever again.

I suck when it comes to giving ratings, but if I had to...3/10

Oh yeah...and one more thing I wish to discuss.

SPOLER ALERT!!!!

Now, don't get me wrong when i say this. I like Leonardo DiCaprio. I think he's a good actor and I like most of the things I've seen him in. But every actor has at least SOMETHING they're bad at, and Leo doesn't know how to die. Yeah, Gatsby's tragic death, was laughable. I honestly smiled when i saw it. Leo's "death face" is freaking hilarious, and oddly enough, I have an example to show you.

...are you ready?

:shock:

...yep...that's, more or less what he looks like when he gets shot. I thought that his Romeo+Juliet death face was bd, but this...this one takes the cake...that is all.

-This has been a Morris Archeltum review (the first of many)
OCD TEST
does                              it                                       bother      you                          that     the               text    doesn't    line                                     up

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 586
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
Re: The Great Gatsby: A Morris Archeltum review
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 12:17:33 pm »
Very good review!
Your part about the movie seeming too long is amusing to me, though, because I felt completely the opposite. When I heard the movie was two and a half hours long, I was worried because I thought I'd get bored towards the end. To me, that happens with much shorter movies; I often miss details of the endings of movies because I start getting restless. But it wasn't like that with this movie. It might be because I loved it so much, but honestly it didn't seem like two and a half hours at all.

As for the close-ups, I'm assuming they put those in because the movie is "supposed" to be viewed in 3D. If they release a movie in 3D, chances are they're going to have some scenes that are very obviously only put in for 3D viewers, and they just get annoying to normal viewers.

I agree with the music part, though I didn't hear TOO much of those remixes you were referring to? My problem just laid in the fact that there were so many tracks from today. Idk, I don't really think of rap when I think of a 1920's novel; I know they were just trying to appeal to the younger crowd, but I think the musical score would have only worked if they did a remake where they changed the time period.

Honestly, I loved this movie. And yes, I love the book too (I  don't think I've seen the original movie). I'm happy they were able to remake a classic in a way that appeal to today's youth.

But like I said, awesome review x) Very detailed and you obviously put a lot of thought in.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Morris Archeltum

• Idle wanderer and watcher of clouds
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 1
  • Fursona Species: Fox
Re: The Great Gatsby: A Morris Archeltum review
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 01:38:40 pm »
Very good review!
Your part about the movie seeming too long is amusing to me, though, because I felt completely the opposite. When I heard the movie was two and a half hours long, I was worried because I thought I'd get bored towards the end. To me, that happens with much shorter movies; I often miss details of the endings of movies because I start getting restless. But it wasn't like that with this movie. It might be because I loved it so much, but honestly it didn't seem like two and a half hours at all.

As for the close-ups, I'm assuming they put those in because the movie is "supposed" to be viewed in 3D. If they release a movie in 3D, chances are they're going to have some scenes that are very obviously only put in for 3D viewers, and they just get annoying to normal viewers.

I agree with the music part, though I didn't hear TOO much of those remixes you were referring to? My problem just laid in the fact that there were so many tracks from today. Idk, I don't really think of rap when I think of a 1920's novel; I know they were just trying to appeal to the younger crowd, but I think the musical score would have only worked if they did a remake where they changed the time period.

Honestly, I loved this movie. And yes, I love the book too (I  don't think I've seen the original movie). I'm happy they were able to remake a classic in a way that appeal to today's youth.

But like I said, awesome review x) Very detailed and you obviously put a lot of thought in.

It was shot for 3d? I honestly had no knowledge of that...it makes sense though. What's the big deal with 3D anyway, it very rarely enhances the story and it often gives me a headache.

Perhaps there wasn't quite as much bad music as I made out, but when it's there, you definitely notice it, and it was just very annoying for me .

Despite the fact that I didn't like this movie very much, I will say that it got me interested enough to go read the book for myself, because, as I said before, it IS a good story and it does have interesting characters. So I guess it achieved something, however, I do stand by my opinion. Glad you were able to enjoy it, though. From what I gather, the opinions of this movie are petty mixed.
OCD TEST
does                              it                                       bother      you                          that     the               text    doesn't    line                                     up