Author Topic: "Grammar Nazis?"  (Read 978 times)

Offline Flint The Wolf

• 3red5u
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 50
  • The proof is in the floof.
    • FurAffinity - FlintTheWolf
    • Twitter - @Flint_The_Wolf
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
"Grammar Nazis?"
« on: May 12, 2013, 11:48:36 pm »
First of all, I want to apoligize to anyone that is offended by the title of my topic. I realize that some people are offended whenever Nazis or Nazism is mentioned, but this isn't what this topic is about. Trust me, I can talk about some pretty polarizing things, but even I get a little uncomfortable when Nazis are mentioned. The kind of Nazis I'm talking about are the ones known as "Grammar Nazis". A Grammar Nazi is someone who stresses correct grammar and will go to the farest lengths to correct even the most trivial grammatical errors of others. Mostly found on the internet, Grammar Nazis usually also carry their grammar ethics into real life, 1UP'ing people whenever they hear a mistake. Grammar Nazis either come off as uptight or, to some, as "complete smartasses". But others look at them as the garbagemen or police officers of the internet, cleaning up the streets of the interwebs of the wretched felons who type like they're wearing oven mits. My question is, how do you feel about Grammar Nazis? Do you love them or hate them? Also, where do you fall on the Grammar Nazi spectrum? Do you correct people at every turn, or do you simply not care and type like a T-Rex banging on the keyboard with your stubby dinosaur arms? For one, I feel that correct grammar is important, but I don't go around correcting every little mistake someone makes (however, there are some people that have grammar that is so bad that it makes me want to physically assault them). So, how do you feel about it (please don't make any troll replies that intentionally have bad grammar)?
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Whoever said "weird" was "bad"?

Xbox Live Gamertag: Bigf00t777
Email: videosteven10@gmail.com

Offline Subzero

• JB17
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 71
    • FurAffinity - szsubzero01
    • Twitter - SubzeroCheetah
  • Fursona Species: Cheetah
Re: "Grammar Nazis?"
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 12:03:08 am »
Ah yes Grammar Nazis, that would include me at times. Yeah I'll only typically correct people if I know them well enough, otherwise I come off as kind of a jerk :P. I really hate it when people have bad grammar, it just bothers me... Not to mention my mother is really strict with me when it comes to how I say things >_< (just to support my point, I edited that last sentence three times before posting it).

I don't see anything wrong with it myself. Yes, it's a wiseass thing to do, but if you find yourself getting corrected constanly, perhaps you should help your own grammar ;). It can definately get excessive though. But I really don't see being called a "Grammar Nazi" as a bad thing. Just means you're intelligent in my eyes.

Also, you won't get any troll responses, because this is a really stable community. Nobody will try to aggravate you, and if they do, they're just being playful =). Someone is definitely gonna troll me after pointing that out though XD

Offline dracodex

• Hyper imploding ball of fluff
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 23
    • DeviantArt - ravenhaker
    • Twitter - @DexterDacian
  • Fursona Species: Draco
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 03:37:57 am »
 In a world where now grammar is controlled by a glitch ridden programme on smart phones and tablets it is a gleaming ray of hope that there still exist people who value proper grammar. I salute to all who label themselves a Grammar Nazi. Maybe the future will not be written in doublespeak and any variation of.

I blame modern technology as nowadays children spend most of their time looking at a screen and learn not from their parents and teachers, but by example of others. The days where books were a golden tool in teaching the young they have now been replaced with poorly written fan-fics and coded text messages.

In recent, it seems that Grammar Nazis have increased in popularity, though they are mostly people who correct the misuse of "your" and "their" rather than the more complicated parts of grammar such as sentence structure. I believe English teachers should focus on the matter more than they do now as to preserve the language. I am an immigrant so English is not my first language, but I had a very talented ESL teacher and when I was put back into my regularly English class I was apalled by how horrible the curriculum was. I learned things in my ESL class that students would never have even thought existed. I pray that in the future someone wise enough will come along and fix what is wrong with our modern day system.

I admit that I have been reading Dracula for the last few days without stop so I apologize if it looks like I am trying to hard in my writing. A strange quirk of mine is to think and write in the style of whatever material I am reading as it aids in my understanding of the text which is especially necessary when reading something written over a hundred years ago.
Oooh I can put text in here :o *カタカタカタカタ*
Pixel art by Crevontz

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 303
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:26:29 am »
Despite how often I edit my posts to correct typos, spelling, misusage of punctuation and other instances of unsatisfactory grammar I don't identify as a Grammar Nazi. I think language is first and foremost about communication; and so long as something is readable and intelligible, I shouldn't have a problem (especially in a formal atmosphere or setting). But the added capitals, correct use of punctuation and other stuff really makes it more presentable and suggests that the concepts/ideas expressed in the syntax are of higher qaulity. One of the best ways to get ideas is across it ensure that the grammar itself is of high qaulity, not just the purpose and ideas of the message itself.

I naturally strive to make sure that my writings appear presentable, because I would like to ensure that everyone will be willing to sit through and read what I say. I would hate the thought of someone shrugging off my ideas and concepts just because my grammar were poor. So while I try to ensure that my writing is the best that I can make it, it isn't too much of a problem for me if somebody else's wasn't, and I most certainly wouldn't attempt to correct or point out their mistakes unless it were absolutely necessary. I think that could be interpreted as rude in some contexts.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:29:14 am by Gage »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Online Gaz

• The Mobile
  • Board Moderator
  • Candies: 287
  • FT's Unofficial Disc Jockey
    • Twitter - @GlitterLiquor
    • Song I listen to far too much
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 10:12:21 am »
I could care less about proper grammar, I'm not bothered by spelling mistakes or correct punctuation.

But wen ppl talk lik dis <----

It irks me greatly! I mean come on it's not hard to spell the words completely.

Basically, if I can read your writing then it's good enough for me!  :lol-fox:

I don't like or hate grammar nazis, they aren't a real problem.
As for myself, I don't correct other people's mistakes but I am kind of a neat freak when it comes to correcting my mistakes.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 10:17:22 am by Gaz »
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
Feel free to contact me with questions, concerns,
or if you just want to talk.

Offline Blaidd

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 101
  • Fursona Species: a piece of fecal matter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 08:24:40 pm »
I'm definitely not a grammar Nazi. While I do think better of someone who can properly punctuate, capitalize, (also, usage of big words is a bonus!) and the like, I don't get onto people whenever they make the occasional mistake. I did, however, date a girl who could be considered a grammar Nazi. If I even mistakenly sent her a text saying 'there' where 'their' was the appropriate word, she would harass me to no end about it.

Unless someone is a complete and utter wreck at typing, I usually don't mind it. Like, if you misspell an occasional word or don't add apostrophes or whatever, it's totally fine. But when someone can't even take the time to spell out 'you', butchers spelling a simple word, doesn't add any punctuation, etc.; I get a little irate and decide against talking to them very often.

As for my opinion on grammar Nazis, I don't hate them (mostly because it's not in my nature to hate) but I surely don't condone their behavior. It's quite annoying to other people and, if you at least know or think the person was trying, you don't have to be such a jerk about correcting them.

I think that the only appropriate time to flat out blatantly point someone's mistakes out is if and/or when they ask you to critique them.
  • Pronouns: They/Them He/Him

Offline Morris Archeltum

• Idle wanderer and watcher of clouds
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 1
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 08:51:33 pm »
It really does depend on the situation for me. For instance, if I'm on skype and I'm talking with my friends, I don't get my panties in a wad if they misspell something or use abbreviations for words. Of course, if it gets so bad that I can't very well understand what they are saying, I'll ask them to please clarify, but even then, it doesn't bother me too much.

It irritates me to some extent on forums, or in a review/comment. Because you are presenting you're opinion, you're thoughts and ideals to the world. If you're comments are riddled with mistakes, then no one is going to take you seriously because they immediately think that you are an illiterate moron. Even if the person writing the comment is quite smart. Whenever you are posting your opinion to the world, you should be as elaborate and professional about as possible. If you have the occasional mistake in there, it won't bother me too much. We're all human after all, but if you're deliberately ignoring grammar and spelling, then it gets extremely annoying.

The only time where I cannot ignore it is in a story. Again, the occasional mishap, I completely understand. I still to this day post chapters with a couple of mistakes that I somehow missed in proofreading, but you can't very well call yourself an author if you ignore such things. A writers words should be his bread and butter. Whether it's his profession or his hobby, he owes it to his readers to have properly structured sentences, correctly spelled words, and correct usage throughout the story. And you don't even have to do it yourself. If you're so bothered by the idea by having to reread you're own story (which I think is bullshit, as if you can't even be bothered to proofread a story yourself, then it probably isn't a very good story) then get a beta reader. Your fans aren't going to be disappointed because they had to wait one more day for the chapter of your story and it really doesn't take all that long if you're updating by chapter like on most writing websites.

Anyway, that's my stance on the topic, and I'm sticking with it.
OCD TEST
does                              it                                       bother      you                          that     the               text    doesn't    line                                     up

Offline CobaltWolf

• Red Level
  • Candies: 3
  • I have found the error and it is you.
  • Fursona Species: Canis Lupus Lycaon (Eastern Wolf)
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 09:56:46 pm »
I really don't care if people use perfect grammar on the Internet but I get quite irked if people insist on using text talk or Twitter talk, generally on most sites you can use a reasonable amount of characters to get your point across. In addition I am not a grammar Nazi but I will call you out on major mistakes in spelling, grammar or word choice (wrong words).

Offline Larsen

• You could be next
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 21
  • I Want Crazy
    • DeviantArt - AnimalLarsen
    • Twitter - @musleh_yusef
  • Fursona Species: dog/wolf
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 10:07:41 pm »
Well there are many types of Grammar Nazis, for example, the ones I can't stand are the ones that would correct me if I did not capitalize one word. Or the Nazis that would go nuts over one comma error; those are the ones that I can not stand. There are others for example that would find the mistakes in your statement if they cannot come back with a good argument. That's when the Nazi becomes the troll. But on many occasions there are positive things that come from the G. Nazis; like stated before, for those who like to type like this "dont b a hatr, nt kewl" are annoying and completely not understandable. I find myself sometimes correcting these people, not because I want them to improve on their English, but because it's fun. To paraphrase what I wrote, I don't mind the ones who correct idiots, but I can't stand the uptight asses.
#Ifeelpretty

Offline shdowhunt60

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 21
  • Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion man
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 10:28:23 am »

Offline Nioa

• DeviantArt - Jierat
    • FurAffinity - Nioa
  • Fursona Species: Stoat
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 11:40:02 pm »
Most of the time I act like a grammar Nazi just to be annoying, not on a forum though, just on games and whatnot.

Offline TrippySquidsman

• Red Level
    • DeviantArt - TrippySquidsman
  • Fursona Species: Hyena
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 03:49:56 am »
I'd have to say that I fall squarely into the Grammar Nazi- but the funny thing is that I guess you could say I was 'pushed' there first. My friend is so bad at typing that I literally want to punch them every time I get a text or some other form of written communication from them.
But I guess I'm mostly anal about grammar because I was really into books when I was younger, and picked up the correct usage of English from reading constantly.

Offline TerrojaTheBadger

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 13
  • Pah, fuck it.
  • Fursona Species: Badger
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 12:29:03 pm »
I really wouldn't call myself a grammar Nazi, considering my grammar more often than not is far from perfect. And I think more often than not, when there's someone who's grammar is seriously poor, it's more often than not the product of a low IQ, rather than the product of simple idleness in typing, so there's really no point in correcting them at that point, as much as it would irk me to do so. And I also think most "Grammar Nazi's" seem to have more interest in making themselves feel just that little bit smarter, by doing something which is little more than picking on someone for no real important reason, so taking that into consideration, more often than not, it's just a wankey thing to do.... But then again, that's just me.

And as for people getting unnerved at the mention of the word "Nazi"... just get a bloody grip people.
Your head is so far up your own arse you wouldn't know whether to fart or speak.

Skype Name: TerrojaZevon

Offline FurryPhil

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 43
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 08:10:59 pm »
I am definitely not a Grammar Nazi. The only time I can get into a Grammar Nazi mentality is when I'm reading my own type. I truly don't feel it's in my right to make someone feel bad by pointing out their flaws in simple text, and I just hope they return the same courtesy to me  :fox-:):

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 09:39:45 pm »
Admittedly I do like correct punctuation and decent grammar. I tend, however, to leave out apostrophies in such words as "its". Personally I find apostrophies to be irritating when writing a topic or answering one and I'm in a hurry. Only what I dislike is seeing a post written in text-stylie. Its bad enough reading abbreviated text messages on one's phone. I write goodness knows how much in a week, so at least I have to make an effort, especially when writing essays and one's professor demands it.

Good topic, by the way. :)

Online Undertaker

• "Do you want to see how it feels to sleep in my custom-made coffins?"
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 80
  • "How sad it would be, should laughter disappear."
    • DeviantArt - BluefoxLongtail
    • FurAffinity - sprite-limehead
  • Fursona Species: Retired Shinigami
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 10:54:33 am »
I'm glad we've Grammar Nazis, but I'm biased because I'm much closer to that extreme. I try always, to keep my grammar good, and obnoxiously correct others. The web should be a refined form of communication. We refined letters, the telephone, and normal speaking; web and texting comes next.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - omnisexual

GIFs are the property of their respective owners.

ThisCrush | SoundCloud | AMA/Q&A | Have something to ask me? (Off-site)
ENTJ | Field Marshall | ♥ The wonderful young lady, that I love. (click) ♥

Offline ☆Sugar☆

• We are the exiled ones
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 165
  • The lost daughters and sons of Cybertron
    • DeviantArt - SugarLonghorn
    • Twitter - NoNotExactly
  • Fursona Species: Longhorn
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 11:29:38 am »
The only time I really correct someone's grammar/spelling is when I want to annoy them or if I'm reading a school assignment or something like that
But any other time I see someone mixing up there/their/they're or your/you're and stuff like that I just ignore it as best as I can because I WANT to correct them but I don't want to look like a douche
  • Flag - xmaslight
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers

"Everyone assumes that if you make jokes, you're happy. Why? Why is that?" ~Swerve
please pet cow~art tumblr~other tumblr~deviantart

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 299
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 01:05:48 pm »
They are, so to say, a necessary evil.

Incorrect spelling and, to a degree, incorrect grammar is obnoxious and a major annoyance.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline Sir Meta Knight

• Space Blueberry
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 68
  • Victory is my destiny.
    • DeviantArt - FoxiRavenheart
    • Quotev
  • Fursona Species: Star Warrior
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 01:18:30 pm »
I mentally correct people's grammar sometimes, but I usually don't care. I'll only actually correct them if they're annoying me and I want to get them back, or if I don't like them.
  • Flag - england
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - demigirl
  • Pronouns: He/him/his (for myself, she/her/hers)

:pumpkin: ~ | My love <3    dA | | AMA    Kytsekeiru info | ~ :pumpkin:

Offline Serana

• In the moon I see everything!
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 240
  • And I see you giving me candy!
    • DeviantArt - WolfGodess12
    • FurAffinity - SnowFeline
    • Twitter - SnowFelineArts
    • Weasyl - SnowFeline
  • Fursona Species: Vampiric Cougar
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 01:24:31 pm »
I really don't care about proper grammar and grammar nazis annoy me a bit tbh.
Its the internet not a professional setting. I don't think I have the best grammar online but in a professional setting I have good grammar. I never correct people unless I'm poking fun at them which tend to be friends anyway.
I mean I'd being lying if I said some didn't annoy me, like people who have really bad grammar but I would still never correct people. Just seems rude, like going up to random person and telling them their shirt is ugly :P
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

AKA Nagi, feel free to call me whatever.
Proud Otherkin and slightly ashamed Fictionkin
Don't take things I say very seriously, I tend to joke around.

|FurAffinity / ToyHou.se / Tumblr / ThisCrush|