Author Topic: Do you want to be buried or cremated?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 213
Do you want to be buried or cremated?
« on: June 04, 2013, 06:21:38 am »
What are your wishes?

Until last year when mum suicided and was cremated, a decision that was outside my control, I felt cremation was for me. But mum's ashes were scattered and although in a beautiful rose garden, there is no grave for me to go to and lay flowers at. And even now, that makes me cry.

So I have decided that when my time is up, I will want to be buried. Just something simple, you know? So my friends and family have something tangible to see, and pay their fond respects.

Offline Cam

• Photographer, car nut, gamer, con goer and professional turn off and on againer
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 55
    • FurAffinity - animosus5
  • Fursona Species: Snowleopard
Re: Do you want to be buried or cremated?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 07:08:24 am »
I personally would rather be cremated, the thought of my rotting body doesn't sound like something I want to have to me.

I find it odd there isn't a memorial for your mum. Usually there is one, even if there isn't any remains there. I still think there needs to be something to lay flowers and pay respect to the dead.
Add me on telegram @Animosus

I'm from Perth, Western Australia but travel interstate frequently

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:23:23 am »
I'll have you know that there are a greater variety of means of disposing a human corpse than cremation and burial. Here is a list of them. I know that they're the most common within our cultures, but to present them as the only methods for the sake of this thread constitutes as a loaded question.

Anyway, I've always been fond of the idea burial alone. Right after I've donated many of my organs for medical use. I never liked the concept of cremation, and burial just seems to be much more peaceful. I also think leaving a clearly marked grave for my family and friends to visit is preferable to the idea of keeping my remains in an urn, having them converted into jewelry, having it scattered somewhere or something else along those lines.

Although some can't stand the thought of decomposition, I've always found something oddly peaceful and appropriate about it. I genuinely find the idea of sustaining an ecosystem of decomposers and scavengers to be highly appealing; in effect continuing the circle of life, as some might put it. I guess part of my philosophy revolves around making the most of what can potentially be used after death.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:37:45 am by Gage »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Gaz

• The Mobile
  • Board Moderator
  • Cookies: 288
  • FT's Unofficial Disc Jockey
    • Twitter - @GlitterLiquor
    • Song I listen to far too much
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 10:24:14 am »
I would choose to be buried over being cremated, for the same reason why Gage would want a burial, to leave behind a clearly marked grave where my family could come and mourn or pray.

But I think my real choice would have to be permanent storage of my body, in a tomb above ground.
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
Feel free to contact me with questions, concerns,
or if you just want to talk.

Offline Larsen

• You could be next
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 21
  • I Want Crazy
    • DeviantArt - AnimalLarsen
    • Twitter - @musleh_yusef
  • Fursona Species: dog/wolf
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 10:48:00 am »
I wouldn't really care since I would be dead. But I would probably want to be buried, being in a vase in my family's house doesn't seem right to me.
#Ifeelpretty

Offline Jacoven

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 5
    • Twitter - Bigbosskilla2
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 11:39:47 am »
Personally I would prefer to be buried.
Steam: Bigbosskilla2
Kik: TheLeftNostril
Xbox Live: Bigboss Killa2
PSN: Bigbosskilla3

Offline NightF0x

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 178
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 12:21:46 pm »
Buried. I don't like the thought of cremation because I feel it would stress my loved ones way out.
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Cam

• Photographer, car nut, gamer, con goer and professional turn off and on againer
  • Green Level
    • FurAffinity - animosus5
  • Fursona Species: Snowleopard
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 01:08:50 pm »
After reading Gage's post, the form of burial I would want would be a space burial.

Other than that, sill cremated personally.
Add me on telegram @Animosus

I'm from Perth, Western Australia but travel interstate frequently

Offline ArtiLove

• Green Level
  • Oh lo lo do I love you.
    • Twitter - SuperArtiLove
  • Fursona Species: Arctic River Otter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 01:52:06 pm »
I am pretty sure I would leave the final decision up to my spouse as to what he would like done with my remains, but I know for sure that I want to donate everything possible to DonateLife first. I'm really indifferent as to what happens to me really.
Remember that smile, the one you wore with such beauty and grace?  Where has it gone?  What has happened to put you in this miserable, lonely place?  Smile for me, even it may be the last time I see.  A picture I will take not for myself, no. A picture for the entire world to embrace the happiness you once shared with me.  Just smile...

Offline Blaidd

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 101
  • Fursona Species: a piece of fecal matter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 07:46:57 pm »
Well, my biological dad's girlfriend says that, when they both die, she wants them to be cremated and have their ashes shaken up so that she can be up his ass for all eternity. =P

(They get along so well!)

But gosh, there's so many things to do when your dead, I have trouble picking!

Like, I could get turned into artificial diamonds, or I could be plastinated so that I could travel the world and people could use my body to learn more about anatomy, or I could have my ashes turned into a snow globe, put into a loved one's tattoo ink, or even stuffed into a teddy bear! Or I could do the whole strapping my body to a rocket thing, or go the lesser route and have my ashes shoved into some fireworks, or I could have my DNA combined with a tree, or use my ashes to add to a coral reef, or have a portrait made of me using my own ashes, or (once again with the ashes) I could even be turned into vitamins and supplements!

Though there are all these options (and a lot more), I am certain of two things:

1. If I am buried, I want a green funeral. Biodegradable coffin and everything.

2. It's going to be a big party rather than a funeral! Not a mourning of my death, but a celebration of my life!
  • Pronouns: They/Them He/Him

Offline Skiggy the Skag

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 26
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 10:39:04 pm »
I want to be fed to cannibal midgets.
OR I'd want to be cremated and have my ashes used to brew a gallon of tea, which would be used to water the giant sequoia that would mark my grave. My remaining ashes would be used as a soil enhancer for my sequoia. In a way, I'd live on in tree form. The plaque at my tree/grave would read "Here grows [my real name]. May he grow in peace".
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:14:12 am by Caper »

Offline Orpheus

• Physically im 18. Mentally, thats another question...
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 44
  • Tacky, yet delightfully refined.
    • FurAffinity - orpheusfox
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 11:59:44 pm »
I want to be fed to cannibal midgets.

This.

No, in all seriousness, i would like to be cremated. Id have some of my ashes buried with a headstone, and id want some of them scattered at Rainy Lake.
    Honor, Courage, Commitment.  

Offline Mosh

• I don't know how you do it, but that was the best cup of french toast I ever had
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 9
    • DeviantArt - moshpit1995
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat (Quarter Wild Cat)
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 02:55:50 am »
Have my body parts turnes into something practical like a bone knife, a belt, wig. If that doesn't work out then I want to be super heated under intense pressure and be turned into a diamond
“I am Zebedee, lord of the woods! Bow down snail, I have dominion!”

~Bill Bailey~

Offline nolongerneeded

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 05:01:16 am »
My mum wants to be cremated, but I'm not sure myself.

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 213
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 05:18:06 am »
My mum wants to be cremated, but I'm not sure myself.

You should ask her why; you won't ever know otherwise.  :fox-:):

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 115
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 06:15:50 pm »
I want to be buried without preservation in a modest (decomposable) coffin, the needs and seeds of a tree planted in my heart to grow from whatever is left of me.

If I can pick anything, I'd like to be converted directly to food for animals. But I understand the need for a place to mourn for survivors, and for me it's for deeply rooted spiritual reasons that I want to give my body back to Nature, who sustained it.
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline zspartancats

• Spartan
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 59
  • I AM A RHINO!
    • DeviantArt - zspartancats
    • FurAffinity - zspartancats
    • LiveJournal - zspartancats
  • Fursona Species: Rhino
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 02:40:49 pm »
If I'm extremely wealthy, I want to be cremated by the sun. A space program would put my body on a space ship and launch it into space! Then, the space program would guide it to the sun! I don't know if that is possible but...

It would be like a space viking funeral, except I would be on a space ship and not on a burning long ship.

If this option is not available, I don't care what happens to my dead body. If I get buried, people will stop coming to my grave and then I would just be a skeleton in fancy box. Cremation, would just be me fertilizing some dingy old plants or sitting on a mantle and giving people the creeps!

Offline AwesomeSkunkeh

• Gone a Wolf, Back a Skunk
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
    • DeviantArt - Sophaur
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 04:45:37 pm »
Since I'm weird and read way too much fiction, I would like my body to be preserved in ice in case I ever get my life back '3'

If not, then burial sounds nice because then people could bring me flowers and bring honor to me. ;w;
I am back, and I'm a new species entirely! :o

Offline Conn1496

• Demon, demon, demon, demon, demon... Raar!
  • Cookies: 0
  • Graar! :V
    • DeviantArt - Conn1496
    • FurAffinity - Conn1496
    • Twitter - Conn1496
  • Fursona Species: Raptor
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 03:14:12 pm »
Surprisingly... neither.

I have a weird request. I'd like to be just thrown into the sea or somewhere where my body can re-enter the energy cycle faster than if I were buried (I don't even want a coffin.). I want to go out just as naturally as I came into this world.

Yeah, it's weird, but I want to feel useful even after I die, and it'll be good to know that my body has been put to good use by nature once my mind is long gone. *nods*

Offline Uncle-Noob

• Am I going to fast for you?
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 42
  • My age exceeds your IQ. . . Significantly.
  • Fursona Species: Mouse
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 08:05:41 pm »
I honestly don't want to be cremated OR buried. I want to die in a river or rot into the soil and help the nutrients of the Earth or something. I dunno, I haven't thought about this before.  :lol-fox:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:25:26 pm by Lynarder Vixia »
Still confused? Then perhaps this will enlighten you!

Middledistancerunner. I managed to save just a little bit of money. You and I can both get jobs, and we'll finally see what it means to be living.