Author Topic: Summer Online Courses  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Subzero

• JB17
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 71
    • FurAffinity - szsubzero01
    • Twitter - SubzeroCheetah
  • Fursona Species: Cheetah
Summer Online Courses
« on: June 22, 2013, 10:12:04 pm »
Hey everyone,

So I'm looking to go into the computer science field in university. Problem is, I don't exactly have time to take any computer courses in my high school schedule this coming year (I'm going into grade 12). So the idea came to me that perhaps I could take some sort of online computer-related course that could give me some insight to that sort of subject. My situation is a bit different than regular summer schooling though because I don't actuyally need the credits or anything, I just want to learn (my summer has been really slow so far...).

Not sure if location matters, but I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada. Any ideas where I could sign up for an online course(s) for the summer? Thanks everyone.

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 213
Re: Summer Online Courses
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 03:56:57 am »
My Mum did an open university course while she was working, and spread her distance learning over quite some time. I would assume your requirements might take longer than a few months, all this depending on the module and amount of exam credits. Have a look at this and see how you get on. 

http://www.cvu-uvc.ca/english.html  and, you could enquire with Open Uni UK to see if they have affiliates with Canada:

http://www.open.ac.uk/  worth a try.  :fox-:):

Offline dracodex

• Hyper imploding ball of fluff
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 23
    • DeviantArt - ravenhaker
    • Twitter - @DexterDacian
  • Fursona Species: Draco
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 11:28:50 am »
Go on to your provincial education site and find their online courses. I don't know if you get to pick and choose your classes or if you can only select from a list of classes available at a certain time.

If you know which uni you are going to and which programme you are taking you could look up which courses are offered. In my programme, an engineering one, I was put in a few computer courses with the students taking computer sciences and theses were absolute beginner courses. So you might not even need to take an extra class if your uni offers one as part of your programme. Though if you still want to take it to get ahead you would have to meet with your councilor as I am assuming you have already made your course selection for next year, if it works the same way over on the east coast, to insert you into a online class if it is being offered.

Your other option would be to go to an institute that offered separate courses and there might be one to satisfy your needs, but since this will technically count as post secondary you will have to pay for it.

Just wondering what kind of course do you want to take?

Oooh I can put text in here :o *カタカタカタカタ*
Pixel art by Crevontz

Offline Subzero

• JB17
  • Blue Level
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 12:38:27 pm »
Thanks for your responses =).

After making this thread I realized, "Oh yeah, I should probably email my guidance counsellor and ask him. DUH!". So yeah he referenced me to a couple sites. Neither site had exactly what I was looking for in terms of the kind of course I wanted to take. It was all just basic math, english, and sciences. He also said to check some nearby universities' websites. They didn't seem to offer any kind of summer courses (I also asked a friend of mine. His father is a professor of computer science at a nearby university). I'm looking for some kind of course that revolves around the computer aspect of computer science. It's not all that easy to find a course to take :/.

It's true though, I may not actually need that kind of knowledge, because it's very possible I could learn about it anyways in my first year of university. We'll see how it goes I guess. Thanks again for your responses.

Offline dracodex

• Yellow Level
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 04:49:39 am »
Well the thing is that the computer aspect of computer sciences is a fairly broad idea, it's like saying the math aspect of physics. Do you want to learn programming or certain computer programs? What field do you want to go into? Math, medical, sound, etc.?
Pixel art by Crevontz

Offline Subzero

• JB17
  • Blue Level
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 11:46:27 am »
Probably programming

Offline dracodex

• Yellow Level
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 04:46:19 pm »
Well that makes it a bit easier because you can teach yourself programming with books and online tutorials and since we live in a digital age help is absolutely everywhere. Search antiRTFM on YouTube. This guy has an amazing set of tutorials that cover pretty much everything in c++. This guy basically helped me through my first year programming course.
Pixel art by Crevontz

Offline Subzero

• JB17
  • Blue Level
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 05:39:38 pm »
Cool thanks, I'll check him out. Cookie for you (and Alexxa, just because I can :P)!

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 04:21:12 am »
Thank you Subzero, I thought it was you.  :)

Have you a second option? Computer programming though sounding ideal if thats what you really want might be all fine, but courses in the subject might be too popular and you might not be successful. Its always good to have a second subject. That way, you don't get too disappointed.

Mum's job is an architectural designer, and she's hot at it. She has an ops room where other computer guys work - and employs only the best. The creme de la creme. If you genuinely have a gift in computer programming, are exceptionally bright, then you will succeed. Have you considered designing computer games?

Offline dracodex

• Yellow Level
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 06:09:14 am »
Thanks for the cookie

Alexxa I have to disagree with you. I used to be absolutely rubbish at math then thanks to a tout or that helped me understand it better gave me a huge advantage. If you really apply yourself and, not to sound cliché, aim for the stars you can do pretty much anything. You don't have to settle for something else. There is a huge difference between having a safety net and thinking you can't achieve something better. Programming is like writing directions in a different language, all you have to do is practice. Programming isn't like maths or psychology, you don't have to be born a savant to be good at it. No one is born thinking in code. Coding is most importantly critical thinking, but it uses a finite set of principals. In c++ you can't think of a revolutionary way to code something because there is only one way to do it. To become the creme de la creme you need experience, you need to know how to act in a situation based on prior knowledge.

Start learning and practicing and if you run into any problems ask me or any of the handfuls of people on this forum that have learned the subject.
Pixel art by Crevontz

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 08:28:10 am »
Thanks for the cookie

Alexxa I have to disagree with you. I used to be absolutely rubbish at math then thanks to a tout or that helped me understand it better gave me a huge advantage. If you really apply yourself and, not to sound cliché, aim for the stars you can do pretty much anything. You don't have to settle for something else. There is a huge difference between having a safety net and thinking you can't achieve something better. Programming is like writing directions in a different language, all you have to do is practice. Programming isn't like maths or psychology, you don't have to be born a savant to be good at it. No one is born thinking in code. Coding is most importantly critical thinking, but it uses a finite set of principals. In c++ you can't think of a revolutionary way to code something because there is only one way to do it. To become the creme de la creme you need experience, you need to know how to act in a situation based on prior knowledge.

Start learning and practicing and if you run into any problems ask me or any of the handfuls of people on this forum that have learned the subject.

Ok, I stand admonished for my serious lack of thinking; smell the burning. I know nothing about code/programming, but maintain that these days it would pay to have a second job; therefore have another iron in the fire in a second choice of uni/college course. Judging by the way employers make their workers redundant, or changing the goalposts under such stupid reasons as, Company Policy. If you can find a course suitable for you, all well and good. Incidentally, I'm not bad at maths, but I'm into the sciences of biology and chemistry and treat study like a hobby. Sooner take off to the beach and read rather than stay stuck in my study room. One day I will be a doctor; I believe all things are possible providing one gives up the belief you can't do it. That in itself takes guts to work out, all the more so when one's mum is sick and I am expected to maintain house and home when she's poorly and thats on top of endless homework. Academically I'm a high achiever; I am driven. I know how to study and practice thanks very mucho. :)

Its good to agree to disgaree. But my safety net is far different, my coping methods varying according to the length of barf mum's just chucked up. I hope your day is going better than mine.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:33:28 am by Alexxa »

Offline Subzero

• JB17
  • Blue Level
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 04:08:44 pm »
Okay I was watching antiRTFM, and he posted a link to Visual Studio. Problem is, the video is 5 years old and therefore so is the link. What can I download for free that would get the job done? I have windows vista. I tried DLing the 2012 version of Visual Studio but after roughly 70 minutes of downloading and a reboot I got a fatal error.

Offline dracodex

• Yellow Level
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 08:39:35 pm »
Ah I forgot about that. I think I have some links, but I need time to find then and sadly I have to go to work right now. I'll try and post them later this evening if you can't find a version.
Pixel art by Crevontz

Offline Subzero

• JB17
  • Blue Level
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 08:45:29 pm »
Yeah if you find some link I would love it if you posted them. Don't worry about going to work! I have all summer =). Thank you once again

Offline dracodex

• Yellow Level
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 03:56:50 pm »
Sadly it isn't as easy as it used to be to find a $700 dollar program for substantially less. My few links have failed me, though one thing you can try is a C++ environment for Eclipse. I haven't personally used it much, but I assume it is similar to visual studios.

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-ide-cc-developers/keplerr
Pixel art by Crevontz

Offline Subzero

• JB17
  • Blue Level
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 05:44:19 pm »
Sadly it isn't as easy as it used to be to find a $700 dollar program for substantially less. My few links have failed me, though one thing you can try is a C++ environment for Eclipse. I haven't personally used it much, but I assume it is similar to visual studios.

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-ide-cc-developers/keplerr

Cool thanks! I got it downloaded and it seems ready to go! I have no idea how to use it but leave that to me! Haha :P