Author Topic: Vinyl Collecting  (Read 316 times)

Offline NightF0x

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 178
Vinyl Collecting
« on: July 26, 2013, 01:38:53 pm »
Does anyone else here collect vinyl? I'm new to this hobby, but boy is it fun!

My gem has to be my original LP of Dark Side of the Moon. The Death Grips is also another gem (because it won't be made ever again.).

Post your collections here, or even your stories about your collection.
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
Re: Vinyl Collecting
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 02:02:21 pm »
I have a big collection close to about 1,000. I buy as good condition vinyl LPs and 45's from charity shops; what's otherwise known in the US as "thrift shops", also flea markets and boot fairs for some great bargains. Some records have only slight scratches, so aren't seriously bad when played on mum's valve stereo. I'll share more later about the wonderful things of vinyl, but for time as dinner's nearly ready and I'm starvin' hungry.  :fox-:P:

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
Re: Vinyl Collecting
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 03:36:20 pm »
My interest in vinyl albums started two years ago when I used to visit Rachel who is now my mum, who had a massive collection of records going back to the late 60, 70's and a some of Buddy Holly and earlier, Swing. She has a tube amplifier, what is literally decked out with what I assumed were antique valves, but no. Very modern and I expect, very expensive. She said vinyl records sound sweeter, warmer and close to the original studio source when the bands and singers first recorded. She sought records out of love, not for profit as many of these old albums are highly sought after. Being an audiophile, hers are near-perfect or mint condition, whereas mine have a few scratches. My favourites are, in no particular order:

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie, 1972 on RCA records - fine condition
Goodbye, by Cream, 1969 on Polydor Records - fine condition
The Clash, (self titled) 1977 on CBS Records - medium condition
London Calling, by The Clash 1979 by on Legacy records not CBS
Highway 61 by Bob Dylan on Columbia Records, 1965
AC/DC Highway to Hell 1979 on Atlantic
Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin on Atlantic, 1969
Sex Pistols' Nevermind The Bollocks 1977
and God Save The Queen 1977 which mum thinks is really offensive, medium condition

When being played loud, it doesn't matter if there are scratches. Its the music that sound just flipping amazing!  :lol: When I get saving some money from my new job I'm going to get a record deck and, one of these (similar in the UK)

http://gizmodo.com/5440901/229-vacuum-tube-amplifier-wows-audiophiles

Mum  says I'll need a preamp, a decent cartidge and tonearm for the deck, and I could save money if I built a pair of high impedance speakers, like horns.

So thats my passion - vinyl record hunting. And deffs, there are bargains to be found!