Author Topic: Guitarists, What Amps Do You Use?  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Skiggy the Skag

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 26
Guitarists, What Amps Do You Use?
« on: August 03, 2013, 04:28:32 am »
So, guys, what amps are your favorites? Do you use a particular amp for X genre? What's your wattage?
--
Marshall Carbon MG4 30-Watt. I use it for just about everything! Then again, I only have two amps.  :)

Offline Fjordy

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 46
  • Fursona Species: Moose
Re: Guitarists, What Amps Do You Use?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 05:49:34 am »
I use a Fender Frontman 25R.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Zenith Decrowe

• Bold as Love
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 42
  • Not a chicken
    • FurAffinity - zeniththecrow
  • Fursona Species: Crow
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 07:40:02 am »
I used to use a small Marshall Class 5 amp.  Then I realized it was only 1 channel, so I ran a bunch of distortion pedals through that lol.  That one is only 5 watts btw but its just my backup amp now.  But now i use a Carvin Legacy 3 with the matching 2x12 cab.  The nice thing is that it has an adjustable wattage selection that goes from 15, 50, and 100 watts but i mostly run it at 15 cause i just play in my room most of the time. 

I would like an ENGL Invader someday tho X>
  • Site Donor
And so castles made of sand fall in the sea,
Eventually

Offline DjentlemanFurry

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 39
  • How do I cookie? Add me on Skype: TheColtonFactor
    • FurAffinity - TheColtonFactor
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 11:10:32 pm »

Nice! Same! Although I'm really hopping to someday get a 12 inch amp for the better low-end tones now that I'm using an 8-string guitar, the really deep and bassy tone just dosent quite come though as well. And I'm dying to get that Meshuggah/Animals as Leaders tone. Currently looking for a multi-effects pedal or processor that might fix that though. an axe-fx II would be amazing :'3 And as you can probably tell by my name, that "X-genre" would be Djent :3 It is a real genre!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 11:13:08 pm by DjentlemanFurry »

Offline Skiggy the Skag

• Green Level
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 11:27:55 pm »

Nice! Same! Although I'm really hopping to someday get a 12 inch amp for the better low-end tones now that I'm using an 8-string guitar, the really deep and bassy tone just dosent quite come though as well. And I'm dying to get that Meshuggah/Animals as Leaders tone. Currently looking for a multi-effects pedal or processor that might fix that though. an axe-fx II would be amazing :'3 And as you can probably tell by my name, that "X-genre" would be Djent :3 It is a real genre!
I'm an Animals as Leaders fan, too!
As for effects, I'll admit that I occasionally use an MXR 116 DP.

Offline DjentlemanFurry

• Green Level
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 11:46:41 pm »

That new song with Tosin Abasi from AAL and Misha Mansoor from Periphery? It's a must hear.

And for effects I use (and I'm embarresed to say) an RP 155. It has by far the WORST distortion models. They sound wayyyyy to digital and grainy. With no help from my crappy 8-string pickups, AH-18 (H) neck, AH-28 (H) bridge. I'm really wanting to save up for either a set of Bareknuckle Aftermath combo, a Bareknuckle Cold Sweat(neck) and Bareknuckle Rebel Yell (bridge) set, or just some EMG 808x's because I'm fairly certain that's what Tosin Abasi, Javier Reyes and Frederick Thordenhal all use. Thing is that would require a passive to active conversion for the 808x's which would just mean more money I'd have to blow :P

But is your effects processor any good? Any way you could link me to some stuff on it? (Oddly enough I did a google search on it with no results :\)

Offline Zenith Decrowe

• Bold as Love
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 42
  • Not a chicken
    • FurAffinity - zeniththecrow
  • Fursona Species: Crow
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 12:56:17 am »

That new song with Tosin Abasi from AAL and Misha Mansoor from Periphery? It's a must hear.

And for effects I use (and I'm embarresed to say) an RP 155. It has by far the WORST distortion models. They sound wayyyyy to digital and grainy. With no help from my crappy 8-string pickups, AH-18 (H) neck, AH-28 (H) bridge. I'm really wanting to save up for either a set of Bareknuckle Aftermath combo, a Bareknuckle Cold Sweat(neck) and Bareknuckle Rebel Yell (bridge) set, or just some EMG 808x's because I'm fairly certain that's what Tosin Abasi, Javier Reyes and Frederick Thordenhal all use. Thing is that would require a passive to active conversion for the 808x's which would just mean more money I'd have to blow :P

But is your effects processor any good? Any way you could link me to some stuff on it? (Oddly enough I did a google search on it with no results :\)

actually, tosin abasi changed to DiMarzio Ionizers now X>
  • Site Donor
And so castles made of sand fall in the sea,
Eventually

Offline Skiggy the Skag

• Green Level
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 02:11:51 am »

It works pretty well with my Marshall amp! Didn't like it much on my California amp, but here's an Amazon link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QKRUJG/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  and another link http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m116-fullbore-metal
In my opinion, this DP is up there with Digitech and Muffs--it's great for its price. And if you are looking for a new pedal, I've heard good things about Behringers. For now, I'm just using pedals for when I (in a million years) can afford a Mesa Boogie. (Which'll never happen) :(
For pickups, I'm a fan of EMG's, because really, they're the only ones I've used besides stock pickups, which always suck. With my limited experience, I'd go with EMG's.
Out of curiosity what guitar are you using?

Offline DjentlemanFurry

• Green Level
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 03:26:49 pm »
-snip-

actually, tosin abasi changed to DiMarzio Ionizers now X>

I read he uses those in his signature model, but I think he uses 808x's in Ibanez RG8. When I saw AAL live with Meshuggah and Intronaut, Tosin switched off guitars a few time in the set, but I'm not sure if he changed all his pickups, kept them... I dont's knows :3 But as for 8-string pickups, do you have any recommendations? I really like the Bareknuckle Afetrmath ones (I really don't want to convert to active), but do you know of any good passive ones?

It works pretty well with my Marshall amp! Didn't like it much on my California amp, but here's an Amazon link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QKRUJG/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  and another link http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m116-fullbore-metal
In my opinion, this DP is up there with Digitech and Muffs--it's great for its price. And if you are looking for a new pedal, I've heard good things about Behringers. For now, I'm just using pedals for when I (in a million years) can afford a Mesa Boogie. (Which'll never happen) :(
For pickups, I'm a fan of EMG's, because really, they're the only ones I've used besides stock pickups, which always suck. With my limited experience, I'd go with EMG's.
Out of curiosity what guitar are you using?

As for pickups, in my 8-string, I cheaped out and bought the one with the stock AH-18 (H) neck, AH-28 (H) bridge. And they suck. :P As for pedals, I'd really like a ProTones Deadhorse, suuuuch a sick tone :3 And guitars I use? Well this is my full collection;

They are; Starting from the top left, I have a: Fender Squire Stratocaster, An original 1970 Gibson Kalamazoo made in the U.S.A, an ESP LTD Ax-50, a Carlo Robelli New York acoustic, Ibanez IG8 8-string (Love this one ^~^), No brand but hand-crafted in Mexico, a Fender Squire acoustic, and a Washburn: Nuno Bettencourt Signiture Model! :3