Author Topic: Dream Theater: Self Titled Album  (Read 388 times)

Offline DextheHyena

• Hyena needs coffee!
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 9
  • Dream Theater's furriest fanboy
    • DeviantArt - Fauxyfire
    • FurAffinity - Twokindsofawesome
  • Fursona Species: Striped hyena. ALTs: Otter and hybrid
Dream Theater: Self Titled Album
« on: September 24, 2013, 03:23:57 pm »
I know, a review on the first day it came out? YES. You should expect that.

For those of you who don't want to read a big post of my Dream Theater Fanboyisms: THIS IS AMAZING, buy noaw.

Anyways, it's finally here. Finally!I have been literally counting the days for this album. After their single "The Enemy Inside" was released, I was completely pumped for this album. When I got it and listened to it through non-stop, I was not dissapointed. However I will say this, A couple of the songs on the album, including The Enemy Inside, are very radio oriented in my opinion. There are some a lot shorter than the norm. for DT songs. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. They still sound amazing. But seeing as the entire album is 69 minutes long (not joking) in comparison to Black Clouds & Silver Linings' Whopping 123 minute time span, it's plain to see that Dream Theater is attempting to make some shorter songs. But at the same time they aren't! Probably the crowning glory of this album is the AMAZING 22 minute long epic type song known as Illumination Theory. The song, having several different movements really shows off Dream Theater's talents and abilities. It is by far my favorite song on the album, sheerly due to it's complexity, length, and variety. I will say this though, I have no clue if it intentional or not, but what sounds like strings accidentally hit at around the 2 minute mark urks me. I pay little mind to it however. Overall in the Album, Dream Theater not only uses a lot of much more of their classic sounding style but in some songs they are very experimental and new. This is not a bad thing at all, it sounds good in my opinion and while the snobs who gave bad reviews to "A Dramatic Turn of Events" may dislike this new experimentation, I love it. I think this album was a great choice to self title. In my opinion, when you self title an album, you are saying "This is who we are, this is our best stuff" and it's easy to agree with that statement listening to this album. Overall, this is simply another STUNNING release by Dream Theater. If you are on the fence about adding this to your metal collection, just don't even think about it. Get it now.

If stranded in the forest, John Petrucci can light a fire by playing a tremolo-picked solo of 64th notes until his pick catches fire.