Author Topic: Anyone in or heading to college?  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Juno fox

• For the furs!
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 4
  • I'm gonna be somebody some day
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Anyone in or heading to college?
« on: October 02, 2013, 07:04:59 pm »
So I've been looking at colleges lately and it occurred to me that I'm actually really Nervous about going, I'm hoping that's natural, but has anyone had a recent college experience?  I'm asking just to get a sense of what to expect. :3

Offline weblacie

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 186
Re: Anyone in or heading to college?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 07:32:30 pm »
I want to go to college (but not RIGHT after high school), but I'm doubtful I can afford it.

Hopefully I can get myself into a nice JC and get my General Education out of the way for starters.
I've left (again), probably for good but idk. If you wanna talk to me outside the forum, feel free to email me. Just tell me who you are in the email pls

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 273
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 07:38:15 pm »
I'm no expert in this but i HAVE been on like 10+ University tours in the us (the ivy league schools) and i can give information on that if you really want, just drop me an email. But in essence, think of it like high school except instead of classes, its lectures and they are longer and you have to support yourself

Then again, i cant offer first hand experience cause i'm only in grade 10 XD
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline weblacie

• Purple Level
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 07:39:32 pm »
Heh, I'm gonna be a senior next year, so I have to worry about college. xD
I've left (again), probably for good but idk. If you wanna talk to me outside the forum, feel free to email me. Just tell me who you are in the email pls

Offline Billhartz

• Red Level
  • Candies: 2
  • ~
    • DeviantArt - Billhartz
    • FurAffinity - Billhartz
  • Fursona Species: Red Panda
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 07:45:40 pm »
I'm in a program called Running Start which lets me go to SWIC for my junior and senior years of highschool.  It is just a community college so it isn't that big of a deal, but I like it a lot.  Being in college means a lot more free time in-between and after classes.  It also nice being able to meet a lot of new people thought there are a lot of people I already know doing the program as well.  The only bad thing about it so far has been my trig class  :|.  But for the most part it is a really awesome experience :D.

Offline weblacie

• Purple Level
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 07:48:38 pm »
My dream college is AI, The Art Institute. <3

But since I'm poor as dirt, I have to go to a Junior College until further notice... ; _ ;

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 586
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 08:11:52 pm »
Not ~all~ college classes are lectures, at least not at community college (is that the same thing as a junior college)? I'm in year 3 of college, but still stuck at community, so I can't offer much in terms of the ~ture college experience *sparklesparkle*~. Basically, its way easier than high school in the sense that you choose everything about your schedule, and you won't necessairly be going all day, 5 days a week; but its a million times harder stress-wise. The key is finding the balance between schoolwork and leisure. Be SURE to include leisure, because you'll go crazy if you don't

But yeah, totally natural to be nervous about it. Its a whole 'nother world, after all. But after a couple weeks, it'll feel completely normal :D
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Jack Lionheart

• Jack the Helpful Lion
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 77
    • DeviantArt - Scott04069418
    • FurAffinity - JackLionHeart
    • Jack's World of Wonder (tumblr)
  • Fursona Species: Lion
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 08:21:06 pm »
I'm a sophomore in college. Trust me, it's not NEARLY as scary as is seems when you're filling out apps and applying for financial aid. Just keep your wits about you and you'll be fine. L=
  • Pronouns: For Jack: He/Him/His, For me (irl or non-furry communications): She/Her/Hers

Offline Jack Lionheart

• Jack the Helpful Lion
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 77
    • DeviantArt - Scott04069418
    • FurAffinity - JackLionHeart
    • Jack's World of Wonder (tumblr)
  • Fursona Species: Lion
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 08:25:18 pm »
I'm in a program called Running Start which lets me go to SWIC for my junior and senior years of highschool.  It is just a community college so it isn't that big of a deal, but I like it a lot.  Being in college means a lot more free time in-between and after classes.  It also nice being able to meet a lot of new people thought there are a lot of people I already know doing the program as well.  The only bad thing about it so far has been my trig class  :|.  But for the most part it is a really awesome experience :D.

The time thing is actually pretty deceptive. You have a lot of time between classes but it's not free. You're supposed to study for two to three hours outside of class for every hour you are in class. That eats up your time pretty quickly. Also, most people who go to actual universities have to get jobs because they've spent all of their other money on tuition, textbooks, moving costs, etc. It can get pretty busy.
  • Pronouns: For Jack: He/Him/His, For me (irl or non-furry communications): She/Her/Hers

Offline Juno fox

• For the furs!
  • Red Level
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 08:29:17 pm »
Thanks, everyone :) I'm not good with the extra stress but I'm taking the ASVAB test to possibly attempt to get into a very prestigious college in Pennsylvania, my only thing is that I'm somewhat struggling in some of my make up work in algebra,  but otherwise I'm reliefed to hear it's mostly like highschool on a not so dramatic level ^,^

Offline Zenith Decrowe

• Bold as Love
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 42
  • Not a chicken
    • FurAffinity - zeniththecrow
  • Fursona Species: Crow
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 12:59:59 am »
I moved a couple thousand miles away to the University of Utah to major in jazz performance X>  I live in a dorm and everything so I have kinda a college experience X>  So do you have any specific questions?
  • Site Donor
And so castles made of sand fall in the sea,
Eventually

Offline NightF0x

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 178
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 01:29:14 am »
My honest simple advice, if you have no clue what you want to do, don't go. Period. If you go without any clue of what you're going to be doing, you're going to be wasting money and time there. (An experience that I'm unfortunately paying for with an emotional and financial toll.) Save yourself the pain. Take a break if you need to. Just know college isn't for everyone.
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 07:04:58 am »
My first time at college turned out to be quite pleasant, actually. I went to the college office to be greeted by a kind lady who gave me the forms needed to be signed; she made me feel relaxed. I wasn't the only college newbie on that day, either. There were at least 5 others.

Whether its a new highschool, college or uni, the first week will always   be tough. But ducking out just because of being nervous, though quite a   natural feeling for anyone, is not going to do you much good. Means you'll be ducking out every time you come up against difficulties. So instead, go and get into it. Remember, every person in that college you're heading for will have been in your shoes, gone through the same feelings of anxiousness and worry. If you get lost in the building then ask someone. I'm sure they'll be only too happy to help. :)

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 09:17:42 am »
College is pretty fun. Not as bad as everyone until now has said it to be.

There's so much more free time and you actually get to make your own choices.

Really, the most difficult part is before-hand with the whole applications, essays, scholarships, she-bang. Once all that it over it is a huge relief.

Offline Juno fox

• For the furs!
  • Red Level
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 02:33:21 pm »
Thank goodness :D

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 03:25:42 pm »
What colleges have you been looking at?

What are you intending to study?

Just curious.

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 04:53:50 pm »
Forgot to add, but any college refectory is the best place to make friends, cos there, everyone is much more relaxed when munching and slurping.   :)

Offline Axel Thunderpaw

• Babyfur Writer
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 6
    • FurAffinity - babytiger1099
  • Fursona Species: Bengal Tiger
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 12:23:34 pm »
I'm in my first year at college. It's not too bad, so long as you don't get lazy

Offline the_randomizer

• Fox Admirer
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 23
  • Cute foxes will rule this world!
    • DeviantArt - therandomizer85
    • FurAffinity - therandomizer
  • Fursona Species: Red fox
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 06:44:36 pm »
I've been going to school in a degree for computer science, but I might change it to biology or animal studies since that seems to be more my forte, and well that, I love working with them  :D

Offline Divadlo

• We storm the ranch or we die trying.
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 17
  • always expect the expected
    • DeviantArt - stolenlegos
  • Fursona Species: dhole
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 07:12:15 pm »
Really, the most difficult part is before-hand with the whole applications, essays, scholarships, she-bang. Once all that it over it is a huge relief.

I'm already sick of the college application process . -.
Luckily half of the colleges on my list are on the common app so i can get those done in one swoop

"We as humans are drawn towards the idea of consistency. We desire to have a routine. We are always trying to find patterns. Consistency comforts the human mind and body."
-Me