Author Topic: Fantastic! The Maximum Ride series by James Patterson!  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
Fantastic! The Maximum Ride series by James Patterson!
« on: October 04, 2013, 03:25:11 pm »

All book images were saved to my Photobucket rather than being 'Hotlinked' which personally I disapprove of.
All book images are Copyright © of SUEJACK INC.

~  *  ~

Mum Rachel, a really keen reader of YHA-approved books, asked me to write a review on Maximum Ride novels which I have been reading lately. Written by James Patterson, these novels spell realism, thrills and some quite funny stories about 6 bird kids on the run from mad, bad scientists.

I read The Angel Experiment. It is the first book in the Maximum Ride series, and is an action filled suspense novel. James Patterson is able to keep the readers full attention throughout the book using twisted hooks and an amazing, totally believable storyline which kept me reading avidly. The story is based on a girl named Max who has genetically been given wings. She spent nearly all her life in a laboratory and the book is mainly targeted at her struggle to live life as a runaway when her and her companions escape. And, inside of her, she is beautiful. I admit I fell in love with her.

The story keeps a fast pace from beginning to end and has been carefully put together using clear, exciting and clever writing techniques. The book ends with a cliff-hanger leaving readers hungry for the sequel "Schools out forever", which alas our local bookstore didn't have in stock. Nevertheless, I went on to read this novel Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports.

So this novel with even more startling imagery had me captured right the first page; it's a fast moving adventure that kept me turning the page.  :)

Max and the rest of the flock continue their journey to save the world. And this time they aren't fighting the Erasers, because they have a new and stronger adversary called Flyboys who are robots. Lol, and I thought boys were fly anyway, but these robots are something else!

The scientists and the Director want Max and the flock killed as they aren't perfect and are causing too many problems. Fang has started an internet blog to get all the kids of the world to help save the world from the people in white coats who are hell-bent on destroying life as everyone knows it. Their journey leads them into a trap, but with the flock split will they survive the hell that's about to happen?

A really enjoyable and compelling read - it’s really wild in places - so funny! But, without trying too hard, the characters are believable and the concept of having wings is so very, very cool. And when you get to read about Angel, the little girl, I think you'll want to really hug her.

And here's Fang. Mmmm, looks rather yummy doesn't he? ;)

And Fang was well worth the wait!  :D

Fang is totally action packed and very funny, and Patterson has played out Max and Fang's relationship really well-it wasn't all lovey dovey but slightly annoying, but really nice. Angel, believe it or not, certainly gets more creepy in this book, and although she scared me at times, it makes the plot of this book amazing! It really has everything-love, action, scares and a little education (flock style). I particularly liked this because of Patterson's tendensy to base his books on current issues-this was about drug testing on children in Africa by big corporations, which was really touching. And the question of whether or not Fang will die? I'm not saying, just that he'll make you laugh and he'll make you cry. Either way, if you're a teenager I am sure that you will love this book. 10/10

And this book is another WOW!

Its actually the third in the Maximum Ride series and it is absolutely fabulous teenage reading. With piles of adventure and action, this book is as wonderful as the first two. It captures you from the very start. Its a fast moving adventure that keeps you turning the page. An enjoyable and compelling read, its a book I will definitely read again and it's worth every penny. suspence, action and fight scenes worthy of Hollywood.

I have big expectations for the next!

~Alex

Online Gaz

• The Mobile
  • Candies: 287
  • FT's Unofficial Disc Jockey
    • Twitter - @GlitterLiquor
    • Song I listen to far too much
Re: Fantastic! The Maximum Ride series by James Patterson!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 04:33:29 pm »
I love the series, my favorite out of all books.

They said something about turning these into movies but they have not yet, I really hope they do.
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
Feel free to contact me with questions, concerns,
or if you just want to talk.

Offline Cam

• Photographer, car nut, gamer, con goer and professional turn off and on againer
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 55
    • FurAffinity - animosus5
  • Fursona Species: Snowleopard
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 05:11:53 pm »
My favourite book series of all time. I've read every book multiple times and would read them again.

It's also where the wings in my Fursona come from, as I have always wanted wings after reading the series.
Add me on telegram @Animosus

I'm from Perth, Western Australia but travel interstate frequently

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 273
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 09:33:50 pm »
I used to read alot of books by this author but for some reason stopped. I like James Patterson's work.

The series itself was a really good book series that kept me interested. Now i reflect on it, its high up on my favorite book series but not sure if it takes the top.

they already have a manga series of the books (which i actually liked O.o).

the only thing i would say about this book is that i didnt really like the ending of the series... It just didn't feel it was developed enough at some points...
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline Sleek

• MoonMoon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 118
  • Gonna Get The Thing
    • DeviantArt - SleekHusky
    • FurAffinity - Sleek34
    • Twitter - SleekHusky
    • Weasyl - SleekHusky
  • Fursona Species: Huskeh
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 11:56:20 pm »
This is my favorite series of books and I have read them all up to about 100 pages of the last one. For some reason I stopped then.
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/They/Them/Their
I try to manage some semi-official gaming events for this forum.
Twitch.tv livestreamer here
FT's Twitch Channel here

Offline Swift the Panther

• If you follow my advice you're either incredibly courageous or an incredible idiot.
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 23
  • Fursona Species: Panther
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 01:09:52 am »
Loved this series so much. It was fairly humorous, as well as fast paced, leaving me wanting to read the next. (I'm fairly sure Fang made me gay  :fox-;): )
Dear all,
I am no longer active on this site and would ask that none of you send friend requests/chat invites/etc. to whatever account of mine you may find. Thank you.

Offline Drakefoxaroo

• Desert Dweller
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 143
  • The Roo abides
    • FurAffinity - drakethefox
  • Fursona Species: Foxaroo
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 02:42:21 am »
I read this series yeaarsss and yeaarsss ago (y'know, because I'm super old). What I do remember is getting extremely annoyed with the sequel series because it got really preachy and butthurt about the environment. The first series is a must read though.
  • Pronouns: him
We breathe in the heat of the eternal flame, the warmth of desert sands.
We submerge into the waters of the Mystery, giving thanks for the cleansing rains.
We are enveloped in the radiance of the cosmos.
And we are the center, the bridge between realms.

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 05:56:36 am »
I must admit that towards the end of the series, Max became quite a whiner. In the beginning of the series she was strong, but when falling for Fang, she couldn't get what she wanted and sulked for a long chapter which made me throw the book across my bedroom. I demand strong characters in the books that I read. That's why Bella Swann in Twilight got on my nerves.

Offline Sleek

• MoonMoon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 118
  • Gonna Get The Thing
    • DeviantArt - SleekHusky
    • FurAffinity - Sleek34
    • Twitter - SleekHusky
    • Weasyl - SleekHusky
  • Fursona Species: Huskeh
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 06:09:52 am »
I am excited for the movie that is supposed to be coming out for the series but I haven't heard from it for a while.
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/They/Them/Their
I try to manage some semi-official gaming events for this forum.
Twitch.tv livestreamer here
FT's Twitch Channel here

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 02:27:33 pm »
I am excited for the movie that is supposed to be coming out for the series but I haven't heard from it for a while.

Please let us know in Spam/Testing when this film is released. :)

Offline Swift the Panther

• If you follow my advice you're either incredibly courageous or an incredible idiot.
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 23
  • Fursona Species: Panther
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 09:52:37 pm »
I just found Nevermore(the last book in the series) at my school library!  :D :D :D :D :D
Dear all,
I am no longer active on this site and would ask that none of you send friend requests/chat invites/etc. to whatever account of mine you may find. Thank you.

Offline Drakefoxaroo

• Desert Dweller
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 143
  • The Roo abides
    • FurAffinity - drakethefox
  • Fursona Species: Foxaroo
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 10:59:59 pm »
haha I remember like nothing about this book series. it was like a new thing when I was in middle school 100 million years ago
  • Pronouns: him
We breathe in the heat of the eternal flame, the warmth of desert sands.
We submerge into the waters of the Mystery, giving thanks for the cleansing rains.
We are enveloped in the radiance of the cosmos.
And we are the center, the bridge between realms.

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 06:46:06 am »
I just found Nevermore(the last book in the series) at my school library!  :D :D :D :D :D

Congratulations! Nevermore is an absolute classic, a beautiful read.  :)

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 10:20:28 am »
I read this series quite some time ago. I think that since I finished, two more books have been released.

They were an amazing series. Had just the right amount of action, romance, plot, and teenage angst. It was very well written and Peterson made it so the reader could get emotionally attracted to the characters.

A movie for this would be quite interesting if one is ever made. I feel that it has a very small window of being made right or else it will bomb.

Offline shruikan

• :P
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 6
    • DeviantArt - xxShruikanxx
    • FurAffinity - xxShruikanxx
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 01:36:25 am »
It was a beautifully written story ill give it that
any new friends are welcome.
kik or skype me. Shruikan_the_dragon

Offline furrylifeguard

• *blows whistle* Walk, dang it!
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 64
  • I live at the bottom of the pool I guard.
    • DeviantArt - thefurrylifeguard
    • FurAffinity - thefurrylifeguard
    • Twitter - furrylifeguard
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 07:48:00 am »
I liked the first three best. The Protectors seemed like a bit of a let-down after The Fugitives. It seemed like the got too battle-oriented and lost the train of the overall plot. After Max they seemed to jump around far too much rather than following any kind of plot or structure. The ending was not what I was expecting, and it seemed like Patterson wanted to make it way to catastrophic for the rest of the series. When he jumped from trying to save themselves to trying to save the world from various threats it kind of lost something for me.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feel free to talk to me! I don't bite, although I probably smell like chlorine.