Author Topic: Teenage Supernatural Fiction  (Read 408 times)

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
Teenage Supernatural Fiction
« on: October 05, 2013, 10:58:56 pm »
I read many novels of this genre, particularly Supernatural Urban Fantasy, many of which go on my Kindle for lack of space on my already bulging bookcase, but there are some novels that are just so good that I have to buy them as books to read and read again. Like the Maximum Ride series I'd previously written about. But tonight when insomnia struck I finally finished reading an outstanding Supernatural Urban Fantasy novel called Hunt The Moon, by Karen Chance.

All book images were saved to my Photobucket and never Hotlinked.

It's   been a long time since I read Curse the Dawn had been looking forward to Cassie's return. Hunt the Moon has all the elements we've become used to: Time-shifts, a certain amount of violence but not gratuitously so, demons, vampires, and some really nasty spooky characters that had me going for sometime, haha! But through it all, my lovely Cassie kept attempting to understand and harness her power as she moves towards her coronation as Pythia.

The action has moved on by a matter of days since the end of Curse the Dawn and the overall story picked up from the events in that book. Within the story-arc, however, there are 2 'mini-adventures': Firstly Cassie learns more about her mother as she travels through time with Mircea. Secondly, she and Pritkin are thrown into an action-packed danger-zone which leads to some interesting revelations about the war mage.

The story kicks along at a fast pace and there's plenty of action, but it still leaves time for character development. As an enthusiastic Pritkin fan, I was pleased by his continued heroics and the fact we got to know more about him - even if what we find out isn't conductive to a long-term relationship! There's obviously at least another couple of books in the story-arc and this has definitely whetted my appetite again.

Hunt The Moon was a cracking good tale, and Karen Chance never fails.

~  *  ~

Last   year I happened upon another bunch of Supernatural Romance/Thrillers and during a cruise with my family read three in a row, all by the outstanding Teenage Supernatural Fiction author, Richelle Mead. All three super reads for young adults, all carefully written under the strict Code that is acceptable for YHA.  :)

Vampire Academy, the first novel of Richelle Mead

To   really enjoy these supernatural fantasy novels, I decided to buy the first of Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series. And I'm so glad I read   Vampire Academy first. It's a brilliantly written book and in fact, is one of the best I have ever read. This book is a real page turner and an   absolute amazing start to this series. The series, I think, could have been even more popular than Twilight because it has a bit of Twilight's   essence written into it, but with a twist only without that vapid girl character Bella Swann. By comparison, Rose Hathaway is a real kick-arse.    :lol:

In   this first book, Rose Hathaway is a guardian-in-training and a Dhampir (half-vampire, half-human). She's sworn to protect her best friend   Lissa, a Moroi (mortal vampire).

Rose and Lisa are the best of friends and always have been. They're fed up of the school St.Vladmir's Academy, so they've been on the run for 2 years until the school's guardians find them and bring them back. With Lisa being the only Dragimor left, she is very precious. Rose is on the brink of being expelled but when Dimitri (a god like guardian) stands up and say he'll look after Rose, she ends up being extremely fortunate and has to spend most of her time with Dimitri training hard - rather than being expelled.

Vampire Academy is Rose Hathaway's story (told in 1st person which made it a perfect read), she is impulsive, witty and dedicated to her guardian training. Lissa has her own struggle too, as she must come to terms with her past and her strange magical abilities.

Richelle Mead is without a doubt one of the best writers of supernatural fantasy today. Her stories grab you from the first page and deliver convincing   characters, magic and romance. This is the sort of book that demands re-reading, just as I re-read it, so as to be thoroughly acquainted by the time I started out on Frostbite.

Here it is: Frostbite, the second novel in Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series.

Richelle   Mead has shown me just what a brilliant, talented writer she is. "Frostbite" is part 2 of this ongoing teen series. The intro to this book is one of the best I've ever read. In author-speak, it's a 'tell', but it also is a great introduction to Rose's world and the three types of vampires inhabiting it.

Rose Hathaway is in her Senior year at   St. Vladimir's. In six months, she'll be a full fledged guardian, protecting her lifelong best friend, Lissa, a Moroi Royal. It's winter break at St. Vladimir's, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy's crawling with Guardians - including Rose's hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. And if hand-to-hand combat with her mom wasn't bad enough, Rose's tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason's got a huge crush on her, and Rose keeps getting stuck in Lissa's head while she's making out with her boyfriend, Christian! The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy's not taking any risks....This year, St. Vlad's annual holiday ski trip is mandatory.

Suspense and action surround the Vampire Academy series and is a definite read for anyone who takes an interest in the dark world hidden from human life. Its tough not to become absorbed in the life of Rose Hathaway....she's amazing!

And lastly among my reads, Richelle Mead's Shadow Kiss, the third novel in the Vampire Academy series.

I have to admit that something devastating was going to happen in every book that Richelle writes. With Shadow Kiss, I'd begun crying from the   last 40 pages until the end. Talk about heartbreaking! I sort of knew what was going to happen, but it didn't make it any less horrible. The   magical element of this book, however, is just brilliant. When everything is all worked out, you see how it flows right from the last book, Frostbite, but as the story moves on, you're never quite exactly sure what's going on with Rose, and I became genuinely worried for her sanity. She's behaving erratically, and gets very, very angry at relatively small things. And then she starts seeing ghosts. And the first is not just any old ghost, it's one of her school buddies (no names because I don't want to spoil it for you). Rose is seriously freaked out by the things that are happening to her, and has no clue what to think. Richelle's ability to plot is incredible though, and all these little things are pulled together right at the end, and it's just brilliant.

The characters are just as great as always; Lissa is the same compassionate, soft and sweet Lissa I'd come to love. Christian, Lissa's boyfriend, we get to know even better when Rose is assigned as his guardian for her field experience, and he's just the coolest despite his snarky nature, though is very insecure. Adrian, the rich Moroi royal they all met on the ski trip in Frostbite who can also use Spirit like Lissa, is still very flirty with Rose, but, though I grudgingly admit it, lovely underneath it all. Eddie, Mason's best friend, is assigned to Lissa for the field experience, and he is just adorable; he's strong, he's dedicated, and he's been seriously affected by her buddie's death and what happened to him in Frostbite.

Then there's Dimitri; he's just as amazing, as gorgeous, as lovely, as completely swoon-worthy as ever, and, my god, I came so close to tears at some points when he and Rose were having some serious chats. He is just amazing, and as messed up as Rose is right now, he is the only   thing that calms her. Their relationship, or non-relationship so far, progresses in this novel, and it's unbearably sweet. How any girl could fail to have one of those heart-lifting moments, where you have one of those exaggerated sighs, but feel jealous that fictitious characters get all the good guys?  :)

Then the action kicks in, and it's deadly serious. It's a battle unlike anything we've seen previously in the Vampire Academy series, and it's huge, and like in any battle, things don't end all rainbows and butterflies. There are consequences, serious consequences, and you won't see them coming. I had some inklings as to what would happen, but in the end, was taken by surprise at the actual outcome. I was absolutely   devastated, and there were quite a lot of tears.

I thought Vampire Academy was brilliant. But Shadow Kiss is probably the best in the series so far - it's just phenomenal! I can't even begin to tell you how much you need to read this book, or this whole series if you've yet to read. Just fantastic! Brilliant book, I can't recommend it enough!

.   . ..Since reading, there have been subsequent books on the Vampire Academy series. But later as time allows I'll be back on this thread with some more great Teenage Supernatural Fiction reads.

All the best and goodnight!
~Alex
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:07:31 pm by Alexxa »