Author Topic: Super Hexagon  (Read 681 times)

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 301
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
Super Hexagon
« on: October 19, 2013, 05:17:17 pm »
Now where to begin?  :fox-;):

So super Hexagon is a minimalist indie game designed by Terry Cavanagh. It's available on Windows, Mac, android, IOS, BB10 and Linux so it's very cross platform so to say.
If you're not completely sure what it is here is a wiki snippet about it
"The goal of Super Hexagon is to control a small triangle which circles around a central hexagon (which occasionally collapses into a pentagon or square) attempting to avoid contact with incoming "walls". The game has six difficulties, a set of 'normal' modes - Hexagon, Hexagoner, and Hexagonest, and a set of 'Hyper' versions of these which are unlocked upon surviving for 60 seconds or more on the normal modes. Every attempt on any given difficulty is timed, with the best survival time being saved separately for each level as a high score. The timer resets upon 'death' (collision with a wall).
Wall locations are different for each mode, and ordered in different "gauntlets" (sections of repeated walls), which are different upon each attempt, forcing the player to learn how to navigate each set of wall locations rather than the level as a whole. Hyper modes of their respective difficulties contain the same set of wall locations, but they appear faster than previously encountered."
So now that you've familiarized yourself, time for the review.  :fox-:P:

Graphics
So the graphics isn't a big issue here, especially with it being a minimalist game however the colours and shapes are wonderfully drawn out and go together perfectly. The colours rapidly change but you soon learn to block that out; although it definitely adds something to the game that cannot be described. I'll mention about screens here, as on mobile platforms it appears normal. But on the PC and Mac ports if you have a widescreen (16:9 or wider) then you'll get two black bars on either side of the screen. This is sort of a shame but it doesn't take anything away and you don't notice it when playing.
9.6/10

Music
Ok let me just get this out the way, one of the reasons why I bought Super Hexagon was because of its music.  :lol: It is honestly amazing! It's the sort of music you'd find at an arcade so to say, but in a higher quality. Kudos to the maker/musician for creating it. You know it's good when you can't get it out of your head, and it also assists the brain in slowing down its perception of time. Yes, I'll say it now, time seems to go A LOT slower when playing this
10/10

Gameplay
Simple enough, it's an addicting arcade game that will leave you addicted and possibly with a headache. Games don't usually last that long (average is about 20 seconds or less unless you're an absolute pro) but you'll find yourself hitting that spacebar to try again without even realizing it. 11 hours may not seem like much game-time, but when the games last less than half a minute, it's surprising. you'll always come back for more, especially when doing homework as it's just a simple time waster without any true storyline. The colours and the speed can sometimes hurt your brain, as it has to process a lot more as you play.
9/10

Overall
In conclusion Super Hexagon is a great little time-waster that is cleverly made and can be sort of educational as it teaches you about shapes. It's fast to play and is very competitive, there's even a 2 player mode! The music is wonderful and is in rhythm to the shapes and the way the game plays. However playing this for long periods of time or when you're thirsty can give you a headache and possibly worse. I think it's cool but annoying at how it makes your perception of time slower, 5 seconds seems like eternity - honestly! It's a cheap game and costs about £/$2 on every platform unless you get it in a sale (which I did, and I got it for 69p on Steam!). The only downside is you can't buy it on PC and then play it on mobile without paying again and vice versa.
OVERALL SCORE: 9.7/10

Some screenshots for you lot, sorry if they're tinted red, that's F.lux.

Did I also mention that the game spins too? Yeah, it really hates you.
Watch Nerd3 play it here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaeK9ZTh_OY
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 05:20:40 pm by TheLittleRedFox »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline rvb123

• PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals.
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 5
  • I enjoy lucid dreaming, Doctor Who, and Cake.
  • Fursona Species: Pudu
Re: Super Hexagon
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 08:22:45 pm »
This game made me want to punch a baby. maybe I just have crap reflexes but It's super hard to play this game for more than a minuet or 2.
I'm that centrist, pagan, pansexual, babyfur, psychology nerd that your extremist conservative grandparents, that you may or may not have, warned you about. Now fear my adjective filled personage!

Offline Deku64

• Archduke of Videogames
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 24
  • Faceroll is always an option.
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 08:24:25 pm »
I've seen Nerd Cubed play this and it looks pretty fun too me, besides the fact if you're trying to get far, it'll probably get irritating.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
If you don't know what to do, press all the buttons and something is bound to happen.

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 301
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 05:57:10 pm »
This game made me want to punch a baby. maybe I just have crap reflexes but It's super hard to play this game for more than a minuet or 2.
xD It is I know the feeling! It's proving to be difficult getting past 40 seconds on hardest. I've passed the other 2 easier ones, and I seem to be doing better on the hyper ones which is annoying. >_<

I've seen Nerd Cubed play this and it looks pretty fun too me, besides the fact if you're trying to get far, it'll probably get irritating.
It is it is!
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~