Author Topic: PLEASE help (u.s history) VERY urgent...on academic probation!  (Read 5336 times)

Offline Lince

• Lince
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 3
  • ~Madigan's Girl~I'm Pawsome!♥
  • Fursona Species: Drolf
PLEASE help (u.s history) VERY urgent...on academic probation!
« on: November 02, 2013, 11:35:42 am »
I am in online school, and i have fallen behind immensely in school due to a series of technical difficulties and i have only a few days to catch my grades up. I am so stressed and...ugh....i'm sorry but i'm going to be asking for a lot of help here..a lot is on the line for me..

for starters, i need to do this ridiculous thing for history, it's 100 points...

Compare and contrast the northern and southern United States between 1800 and 1850. Write three or four paragraphs about the similarities and the differences between the two regions. Your essay should include discussions of the economy, social structure, daily life, and social attitudes. In your concluding paragraph, predict how society and attitudes will develop in the West. Which region would the West be more likely to side with on important issues?

seriously i read this and cried my anxiety is through the roof...i can't even understand the first few sentences let alone the entire assignment, all i know is that it's a 3-4 paragraph essay and i'm freaking the heck out here...even huggling kimmi-chan isn't helping me calm down... :(
♥~Madigan's Girl~Lince~♥

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 273
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Re: PLEASE help (u.s history) VERY urgent...on academic probation!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 11:57:57 am »
I can try and help you on this essay (but mind you for information, the most i can help you is through google as i only know of Canadian history... and the war of 1812)

but the first and most important question is... What don't you understand with the question? (and what do you understand?)
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline Lince

• Lince
  • Red Level
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 12:53:05 pm »
see the issue with me is , i dont understand what they are asking for, i dont know where to start, i'm so stressed about  my 6 other classes and alot of huge important things at stake  that i cant even read a status on facebook without either a:  reading it backwards, b: misreading or misinterpreting it, c: having an emotional breakdown or d: screaming at my laptop.
♥~Madigan's Girl~Lince~♥

Offline MessedThoughts

• Purple Level
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 04:05:56 pm »
Ok, from what i see, i think you are REALLY stressed out. Though i would usually advise you to try to calm down or take a break like taking a walk or something outside, seeing as this is an important school assignment, i cant seem to advise that.

From what i have read, they are asking you to talk about the similarities and differences between the Northern US and the Southern US between 1800 - 1850. They want you to talk about the Economy, the daily life of people in the two colonies, Class structure as well as people's attitude to society (im not sure if im putting the last two points into the right words but its the basic idea im trying to get at). As well, at the end of the essay, they want you to Predict, BASED ON INFORMATION YOU PROVIDED, how will society and attitudes will develop in both the North and the South as well as which region (the north or the south)  will side on important issues at the time.

From what i read, these are key things that i think you MUST research. The bolded are the Four Key topics that you must include (and such ill refer to later)
- important issues around 1800-1850
- the Economy in the northern & southern US (include things like trade, main exports and stuff like that)
- Social structure in the in the northern & southern US
- Daily life in the northern & southern US
- taboos in society in the northern & southern US

- How people precieved certain issues in both the Northern and southern US

As well, just so that it may help you, i suggest using a 5 paragraph essay rather than a 4 paragraph one because it would be much easier to structure. However you could combine paragraph 2&3 if you wanted to.  Below is an example of how i would structure the essay just so you are less stressed out

Into
- have a hook to make your reader want to read this
- introduce the three paragraphs below

Body 1
- talk about differences for the northern US (when compared to the southern US) based upon the four key topics 

Body 2
- talk about differences for the Southern US (when compared to the Northern US) based upon the four key topics 

Body 3
- talk about similarities based upon the four key topics

Conclusion
- brief summary of the points you talked about
- talk about what you think based on the evidence you provided on what will develop in the future (society and society's attitude) and possible important issues that may arise (mention which side will take what side on these issues)

Hoped this helped you!

Offline Lince

• Lince
  • Red Level
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 06:03:30 pm »
eep but thats the problem i dont have the needed information for this i cant read the book i freak out..
♥~Madigan's Girl~Lince~♥

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 299
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 07:44:57 pm »
eep but thats the problem i dont have the needed information for this i cant read the book i freak out..
An but haven't you heard of the thing called the internet? You won't even have to read, you can listen or watch a video about it. Just a quick Bing search will give you what other people have done, quick bite sized pieces of the history and more! And when all else fails, use Wikipedia. ;)
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline MessedThoughts

• Purple Level
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 10:19:55 pm »
An but haven't you heard of the thing called the internet? You won't even have to read, you can listen or watch a video about it. Just a quick Bing search will give you what other people have done, quick bite sized pieces of the history and more! And when all else fails, use Wikipedia. ;)

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. ONLY DONT USE WIKIPEDIA IF YOU NEED TO CITE YOUR SOURCES OR NEED TO USE FOOT NOTES. its ok to slip in one piece of information that may not be covered with the other sources that wikipedia has... BUT DONT CITE WIKIPEDIA

And if this may calm your nerves down, you know that you will eventually have to get it done, so the sooner its done, the better!

Offline Lince

• Lince
  • Red Level
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 03:50:33 pm »
meh my school has a program that scans the internet and your document for similarities and plagarism.
♥~Madigan's Girl~Lince~♥

Offline MessedThoughts

• Purple Level
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 07:13:43 pm »
meh my school has a program that scans the internet and your document for similarities and plagarism.

O.o they have software for that? I'm surprised they don't use it at my school

Offline SPOOKCIFUR ☠

• Let's go!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 102
  • A' suh dudes!
    • DeviantArt - Spartan329
    • FurAffinity - LanceThyla
    • Twitter - Lancifur
    • Weasyl - Lance
    • My Tumblr.
  • Fursona Species: Thylacine
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 06:12:52 pm »

O.o they have software for that? I'm surprised they don't use it at my school

It's probably something similar to TurnItIn.com which is being used by Colleges and Universities.
But researching the topics, and then presenting the information you gathered from the research will only show up as around a 20% similarity at most and that's only if you are directly quoting from the material. Direct quotes are not bad as long as you cite them though.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - usa
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Lince

• Lince
  • Red Level
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 10:32:25 pm »
It IS turnitin......just ...with a 1.8k dollar lisence.
♥~Madigan's Girl~Lince~♥

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 05:28:48 am »
Doesn't your school have a library, Lince? Textbooks, thats what you need - read them! Treat study as a hobby, thats what I did to achieve AAA's in  all my sciences and in fact, I don't remember even referring to Wikipedia once.

okay, much valuable info can be found on the internet. But its other people's hard work and therefore cannot be copied. Learn from it but compare to what The Books say. Only The Books are the authority under which you learn.

Offline Lince

• Lince
  • Red Level
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 11:09:49 pm »
Doesn't your school have a library, Lince? Textbooks, thats what you need - read them! Treat study as a hobby, thats what I did to achieve AAA's in  all my sciences and in fact, I don't remember even referring to Wikipedia once.

okay, much valuable info can be found on the internet. But its other people's hard work and therefore cannot be copied. Learn from it but compare to what The Books say. Only The Books are the authority under which you learn.
online school..no library ...texbooks are too complex they dont simplify it down..>-< teachers dont help.
♥~Madigan's Girl~Lince~♥

Offline Cookie-N

• lennyface.psd
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 59
  • furries trigger me
    • DeviantArt - cookie-n
    • FurAffinity - cookiethebluecat
    • Twitter - nicholas_cookie
    • Tumblr / Art Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 12:46:37 am »
1. Take it from the internet, but in your case, PARAPHRASE. Substitute words out with similar meanings, or change the sentence structure!

2. Something I'm very fond of advocating - the PEEL structure:

P: Point Write out one or two sentences point to summarise what you are about to write on.
E: Evidence Include your evidence! This can be things like "This can be seen when the British Army attacked..." and so on.
EL: Elaboration Elaborate on your point and discuss about the issues pertaining to it.

Remember, always go from P to E to EL! That way, you won't be confused once you get the hang of this structure, which can be used to write many essays from argumentative to expositional.

3. Use common sense --- as in only taking the information that is truly needed. If the question asks for something, give it that thing, no more, no less. Also, if you have prior knowledge or your school has taught about it, use the information (albeit, again, in your own words)!

Hope this helps!
KEK