Author Topic: Good music making program?  (Read 848 times)

Offline Akio Leopard

• ^~^
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 63
  • Icon by Ziggyzoom
    • DeviantArt - AkioLeopard
    • FurAffinity - AkioLeopard
  • Fursona Species: Snow Leopard
Good music making program?
« on: November 09, 2013, 11:05:36 pm »
I love music, so I figure I might as well give making music a try.

I'm looking for something that's easy to use, free or low priced, not horribly demanding (in terms of computer stats), and requires no skill with instruments. And suggestions? Also, if you know any good tutorials on how to work with the program, those would be very helpful :)

I plan on making electronic/techno music, possibly dub step.

I've never tried to make my own music before, so this could be a fun little experiment...and probably will sound really bad xD
Feel free to PM me or message me on Skype. I like to talk, and as long as I'm not busy I'm happy to chat anytime :lol-fox:
(But I'm kind of awkward so you'll have to message me first)

~I don't even know what I was gonna put here~

Offline CityWolf

• The Gentle Warrior Of The Night.
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 6
  • -arf- :3 -tail wagging-
  • Fursona Species: Canadian Timber Wolf
Re: Good music making program?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 11:53:55 pm »
Erm, I personally have never tried any programs myself, so I don't know if any of the ones I know of are easy to use or free or anything like that, but for music making, I hear people recommend something called "Synthesia." Might be worth looking into. That's, honestly, the only music making program I've ever heard of. And if you want to add lyrics, but aren't comfortable with your voice or something, give Vocaloids a look into. They are programs that sythesize vocals, not music, but if programed right, they can sound awesome. They don't do english too well though, unless you're doing a slow song, or a ballad. They use the Japanese and Spanish languages well though. If you're curious, the more popular Japanese Vocaloids are Hatsune Miku V3, KAITO V3 (he comes with an english voice bank), Kagamine Rin/Len Append, and there's an awesome sounding Spanish one in the making, her voice is really clear and fluid. I think she's called Maika? Anyways, sorry I know so little. ^^' Hope I at least gave you some nice research material though. X3
Random quote time! :D

"By ourselves, we're no one. It's when other people look at us and see someone... That's the moment we each start to exist." -Joshua from Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance

"Everyone has their own little internal world - a secret garden only they can enter. Each world follows its own internal logic - individuality. And the logic of one world, means nothing in another." -Joshua from TWEWY

Feel free to PM or email me. :3 I don't bite. ...Much. XD

Offline weblacie

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 186
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 12:20:15 am »
FL STUDIO. FL Studio. fl studio.

I know it's almost $200 USD, but I can hit you up with a free download of the full version. ;)
I've left (again), probably for good but idk. If you wanna talk to me outside the forum, feel free to email me. Just tell me who you are in the email pls

Offline Akio Leopard

• ^~^
  • Green Level
  • Icon by Ziggyzoom
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 12:04:09 pm »
And if you want to add lyrics, but aren't comfortable with your voice or something, give Vocaloids a look into
I'll have to look into this, since I do plan on adding vocals to some songs

I know it's almost $200 USD, but I can hit you up with a free download of the full version. ;)
I'll keep that in mind :)
Feel free to PM me or message me on Skype. I like to talk, and as long as I'm not busy I'm happy to chat anytime :lol-fox:

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 213
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 08:11:49 am »
My aunty Jilly loves tinkering around with music and recommends MIXX: http://www.mixxx.org/ that offers an excellent free download. Mixx has its own community support which she says is excellent for troubleshooting and gets fast response.

This is Mixx's 1.11 version user manual that you might find interesting.

http://www.mixxx.org/manual/latest/

Downlaod Mixx 1.11 and see how you get on.

Offline Akio Leopard

• ^~^
  • Green Level
  • Icon by Ziggyzoom
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 09:41:14 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm gonna have to give it a try :)

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 213
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 07:28:46 am »
so sorry, but I forgot to give you MIXXX's website proper.

http://www.mixxx.org/

On Jilly's computer and speakers, it sounds as brilliant as it looks!  :)

• split your infinities
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 59
  • By irishthorns@FA
    • FurAffinity - aurorapaws
    • Twitter - aurorafatalis
  • Fursona Species: a cleverly arranged amalgamation of carbon compounds
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 02:07:44 pm »
Do you mean creating mixes and 'DJing', or do you mean creating you own original content? That will make a huge difference in the software that you choose..

Either way, I wish you luck!
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - demiromantic

None of this will matter
20 years from now

Offline Akio Leopard

• ^~^
  • Green Level
  • Icon by Ziggyzoom
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 02:49:04 pm »
So I gave MIXXX a try, and it seems perfect for DJing, but I want to make my own original content, so it's not right for me.

Do you mean creating mixes and 'DJing', or do you mean creating you own original content? That will make a huge difference in the software that you choose..

Either way, I wish you luck!
Thanks for the luck :)  And yeah I can see how what I plan on doing would make a huge difference in software choice. So like I said above I want to make my own original content. Do you know of any good programs, or general advice, for this?

• split your infinities
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 59
  • By irishthorns@FA
    • FurAffinity - aurorapaws
    • Twitter - aurorafatalis
  • Fursona Species: a cleverly arranged amalgamation of carbon compounds
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 03:07:43 pm »
Personally I would recommend FL Studio. It's easier to use than most DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) and it is very capable in terms of what you can create. Also there are tons of tutorials on YouTube for help that spans many genres and for using the program in general. Like stated before, it is costly, but there are probably more opportunities to get it free than for any other DAW (that isn't already free).

If you have a bit of money to spend and you don't feel right about using cracked software, this list should give you some ideas: http://www.musicradar.com/us/tuition/tech/the-16-best-daw-software-apps-in-the-world-today-238905
Another program that isn't on that list is OpenMPT (Renard uses this). I'd say it's really difficult to use though.

Hope this helps!  :)
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - demiromantic

None of this will matter
20 years from now

Offline Akio Leopard

• ^~^
  • Green Level
  • Icon by Ziggyzoom
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 12:13:59 am »
To wrap this up, I've downloaded MuLab and have been working with it for about a week. I like it so far and will probably stick with it for a while. I've been working on a song, but it's really bad so far XD  Might eventually post it, and others, if its ever good enough...and finished. Anyways thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it :)

Offline Maximumcool2

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 20
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 01:36:17 am »
FL STUDIO. FL Studio. fl studio.

This. FL Studio is awesome. Get it download the demo just try it it is worth your time sir

Offline NightF0x

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 178
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 01:53:19 am »
Logic Pro X (If you have a Mac)

I'm currently learning on there and I'm picking it up WAY faster than Ableton Live.
  • Award - Beta Tester