Author Topic: University interview....  (Read 458 times)

Offline Tigran

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 12
  • Fursona Species: White Tiger
University interview....
« on: November 21, 2013, 02:35:46 pm »
Okay, so i have got an interview from the uni of Essex in the uk, i don't really know why they're doing it as they are my backup choice so to speak including only BBB in their offer while i have AAB and an A* in polish, but hey. I'd like to ask for some tips when i get there, my main problem is nervousness, does anybody have any tips as to how i can get my shit together, it seems every time i get an interview i get really nervous and can't really express myself...
"You are waiting for someone, someone from a half-remembered dream. Don't you want to take a leap of faith? Or become an old man, filled with regret, waiting to die alone."

Offline dracodex

• Hyper imploding ball of fluff
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 23
    • DeviantArt - ravenhaker
    • Twitter - @DexterDacian
  • Fursona Species: Draco
Re: University interview....
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 03:19:29 pm »
I'm not really familiar with being interviewed by a university (I don't think any school around here do), but I wouldn't imagine it is too different than any type of interview. Go online and try to find sample interview questions or brainstorm possible questions they would be asking you. Other than that it would be the exact same thing as in any interview. Don't fidgit, maintain eye contact, maintain the formality level being offered, don't make stuff up if you don't have and answer, etc. It's hard not to be nervous during an interview and it takes a a bit of effort to relax, but once you get passed the introductions it becomes easier to get comfortable. They have already seen your transcript so they are trying to figure out your personality. Whether you can stand the pressure if school or get along with students and such. Make a list of all the clubs you have joined and any other things that showcase your skills outside of academia. A little secret that a few interviewers have told me it that in most cases interviews are mostly a formality and are really only a problem for the people at the low end of the spectrum for qualifications be it for a job or a grant and I'm assuming it would still hold true for your situation. Just try to act casual they know you are going to be nervous and somewhat expect it. The biggest pointer I can give you is to try and match their level of formality. If your interviewer is laid back and friendly then try to mimic that and same for if they are extremply proper and anal. This will get them to like you andcould potentially give you a powerful friend.
Oooh I can put text in here :o *カタカタカタカタ*
Pixel art by Crevontz

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 03:29:04 pm »
The interviewer is going to know you are nervous and he will first start with small talk. He'll just be asking questions, all you need to do is answer them. Keep it as simple as that. If you overthink, you're going to put yourself into a panic and just stress out.

He will probably ask about your hobbies, grades, favorite classes, sports, extracurricular. As long as you're open, there shouldn't be a problem.

And don't forget to smile. Even though you might be freaking the heck out in your mind, show that you are confident and happy. Shake his hand, say hello and goodbye when you leave. (Or good morning/afternoon).

Also one last thing, they probably want you there; because each student is a buttload of money for them, so the interviewer shouldn't be saying anything to really scare you away.

Offline Tigran

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 12
  • Fursona Species: White Tiger
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 05:02:58 pm »
thanks, i need to prepare a couple of things to say etc, but i spose i just panicked when i saw the letter becasue i really don't like interviews but hey ill give it my best shot, thanks for the tips guys
"You are waiting for someone, someone from a half-remembered dream. Don't you want to take a leap of faith? Or become an old man, filled with regret, waiting to die alone."

Offline Snowfox

• Snow ❄
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 10
    • Twitter - blinkpony
  • Fursona Species: Snowfox
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 09:22:54 am »
Might be a little late for this, but wanted to impart a few words of advice.
I recently had a couple of interviews, one at Exeter and one at Lancaster, and the best advice I can give to anyone in the position is to relax. The interviewer is not there to test or to trick you, in fact you can interview them just as much as they interview you, ask them about the university/course/campus. They wouldn't have given you an interview in the first place if they did not think you were up to the challenge and if they do ask you questions about your subject then try and work through the solutions out loud as they want to see how you get to the answer (how you think) as much as they want to see the actual answer.

Hope it wasn't too late, and if it was I hope it went well!
Good luck.
...Snow    

Feel free to message me :)

"Not all those who wander are lost"