Author Topic: Site sluggishness  (Read 715 times)

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 114
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
Site sluggishness
« on: December 13, 2013, 06:16:00 am »
The title pretty well says it all.

I'm not sure if this existed before my return or is related to the recent upgrade on NFS's end but I certainly do notice it once every few minutes if I'm browsing. (It could be argued that there are benefits to bottlenecking the browsing speed, actually come to think of it.)

Thought I'd pitch a heads up.

Incidentally, at first I thought it was actually downtime, but downforeveryoneorjustme noted that it was up. Even if you posted simply being patient will eventually push it through, and the server is kicking a page response (and accepting data). (This much I can ascertain by two observations: it eventually does make the post if I'm waiting on it to do so, and it will not time out no longer how long it takes on my end to load the page... so far. Are they queuing on MyISAM or what?)

I've thought about running the traceroute and friends tools on this side on it but see no point under the circumstances; not owning the server means that even if I could start to ascertain the nature of the beast there would be nothing that could be done about it. The joys of shared hosting.
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 299
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
Re: Site sluggishness
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 11:31:42 am »
I seem to get quite a bit of what seems to be latency on my end on the forums, and on my phone I get time out messages as it's so lazy. xD
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 11:53:30 am »
You're correct that this is happening, and is an issue with our hosting provider.  I thought the upgrade Phoenix referred to would take care of it, and it did help; after initial load, subsequent page loads are a bit snappier, plus everything's more up-to-date.  But it's a very minor adjustment, and the primary issue seems to be in the database server.  I don't know if it's a caching issue, but I'm pretty sure it's related to the size of our database.  Once a MySQL table starts to exceed 250k-300k rows, it gets a bit sluggish, and our posts table is pushing 400k.  Which is why the beta version of FT calls for a change to a different database engine, one that can handle large amounts of data with greater efficiency (Postgres).

Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot we can do; even if it's related to the database server, that's not the sole issue.  A move to a new host is in our future, but financially, I can't swing it just yet.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 12:38:23 pm »
Probably a real dumb question- I know almost nothing about how servers run or "The Internet"

If our post table is pushing 400K, couldn't we just delete posts? There's a lot of old material this site does not need anymore. Like the "new members" thread. After like a year, the post should be deleted because it is not required anymore. Or perhaps in the anger management; a lot of posts there are just one time rants (that I myself have done).

Or is there more complexity to this? I know you guys' do not usually delete posts. Is it difficult to do such?

Who knows. Try not to put me down too much if I'm wrong. I'm quite bad with this sort of stuff.

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 579
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 12:48:34 pm »
I also do not know much about "The Internet", but I will provide as much insight as I can  to your questions.

When we delete posts, they're not deleted forever--they go to a Trash area that the staff can access. We CAN then delete them from there, but we don't because then it is permanent.  I'm not sure if they're dumped from there after a certain amount of time or something.

Also, when a post is deleted from even the main boards, that post is removed from your post count (unless it doesn't count towards your posts in the first place, like New Members). So unless people don't mind constantly-changing post counts, deletion isn't a viable option.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - androsexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 04:16:25 pm »
To add more clarity to Panda's reply:  Posts that have been moved to the Trash area are still in the Posts table, and deleting them from the Trash area is permanent, which we almost never want to do.

Awhile back, I looked into the possibility of creating another table for deleted posts, or a separate copy of the site to serve as an archive, but have since scrapped both ideas.  A secondary table for deleted posts would require considerable development to be any semblance of useful, rivalling the effort needed to just build a new platform.  And an archive copy of the site is kinda useless if people can't respond to anything.

And, really, 400k posts isn't THAT much.  The amount of data on FA dwarfs us.  In fact, FA's issues give us a perfect illustration of why it's worth my time and effort to try to shift us onto a different database engine; if we had an order of magnitude more posts, this site would be as buggy, slow, and failure-prone as FA. 
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 114
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 06:24:46 pm »
Around 6 PM in my local. (Natasha, it's the same as Harrisonburg - I've not moved.)

Code: [Select]
<html>
<head>
<style type="text/css"><!--
a { text-decoration: none; }
a:hover { text-decoration: underline; }
h1 { font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 18pt; font-weight: bold;}
h2 { font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14pt; font-weight: bold;}
body, td { font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; }
//--></style>
<title>500 Internal Server Error</title>
</head>
<body>
<table width="100%"><tbody><tr>
<td align="left">
<a href="/"><h1>www.furryteens.org</h1></a>
</td>
<td align="right">
<h1>500 Internal Server Error</h1>
</td>
</tr></tbody></table>
<hr>
<p>An error has occurred while handling your request.  The most common reasons
for this are:</p>
<ul>
<li>A malfunctioning script or CGI application.</li>
<li>An invalid or inaccessible .htaccess file.</li>
</ul>
<p>Please contact the site administrator for assistance.</p>
<p>If you <em>are</em> the site administrator:</p>
<ul>
<li>Enable and check your site's error log for more information.</li>
<li>Check to make sure CGI scripts are set properly executable.</li>
<li>Make sure CGI scripts are uploaded in Unix text file format (newline-only).</li>
</ul>
<hr>
<table width="100%"><tbody><tr>
<td align="left"><em>

Site Administrator: <a href="mailto:webmaster@teenfurs.com">webmaster@teenfurs.com</a>

</em><td><td align="right"><em>
NearlyFreeSpeech Error 500
</em></td></tr></tbody></table>
</body>
</html>

I have a screenshot. It is equally as unnecessary as it sounds. Maybe you can make something of it. *furrows brow* I think you can still see my public IP; if all else fails you can traceroutte hecate.darkglass.net.

Edit: I've little doubt it's the database server if you say it is. Having an outright error is a chance to confirm it if and only if you can drag out the log entry, which is why this is being submitted.
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 07:14:01 pm »
Well Natasha and Panda, I'll tell you how it is down my neck o' the woods.

After PM'ing someone I visited the bathroom, then put the red chicken on for a coffee, went outside for a smoke and then a second cig and returned with an espresso to my room. Just as I sat down, my PM sent. Christ - I know the forum goes snailpace at times, but -   :lol: