Author Topic: Getting into competitive TF2?  (Read 634 times)

Offline moosemouse

• Brofessional
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 24
    • FurAffinity - moosemouse
  • Fursona Species: Silver fox
Getting into competitive TF2?
« on: December 18, 2013, 05:41:29 pm »
So I've been looking at getting into competitive TF2 and I'm a little stuck on when to start. I've looked through a few articles on comp.tf as well as looked at a couple videos of some 6v6 matches.

Basically I was wondering if there's a way I could practice without getting into a team first. Do any of you who play competitive TF2 have any tips for me to start off?

If it helps, I main soldier and can execute some simple rocket jumping stuff. I also play engineer sometimes and spy on occasion.
[placeholder]

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
Re: Getting into competitive TF2?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 11:32:46 pm »
Okay. So I don't really play TF2 much. I only have around 5-10 hours on it, and I've played many "prop hunt" games which pretty much doesn't even count.

Anyway, TF2 has a very high learning cap. A very exponential one too. So it's going to take a real long time before you stop swearing at your computer screen.   ... But don't give up. Watch a lot of livestreams. They are probably the best ways to learn. Can always pick up some tactics.

There's also the AI mode you could use.

Offline Malifor

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 73
  • No
    • FurAffinity - malifor2210
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 12:09:57 am »
I wish I could play competitive, but imo just play soldier more and more and more, know everything. From rocket projectile speed, blast radius, and no offence but you've got to learn more rocket jumping tricks and stuff than just basics, like bunny hopping, wall rockets and mostly important are map rollouts. (try jump maps to get a feel for it and stuff) and you really have to be able to at least hit some air shots with the rocket launcher hence getting used to the rockets projectile speed. They're 2 play styles of soldier from a competitive stand point, if you already dont know, the pocket which protects the medic, leads, and starts the push and the roaming whos job is to do damage as much as possible and have the ability to freely rocketjump around and all over (gunboats duh) Play some mge servers which are basically 1v1 but is really really good practice for playing soldier, even though you might get wrecked at first lol and realistically, spy and engi arnt good choices for 6v6, maybe highlander but yeah as the normal team has a medic, 2 scouts, a demoman, and 2 soldiers (roaming and pocket).

Offline moosemouse

• Brofessional
  • Yellow Level
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 02:53:13 am »
I wish I could play competitive, but imo just play soldier more and more and more, know everything. From rocket projectile speed, blast radius, and no offence but you've got to learn more rocket jumping tricks and stuff than just basics, like bunny hopping, wall rockets and mostly important are map rollouts. (try jump maps to get a feel for it and stuff) and you really have to be able to at least hit some air shots with the rocket launcher hence getting used to the rockets projectile speed. They're 2 play styles of soldier from a competitive stand point, if you already dont know, the pocket which protects the medic, leads, and starts the push and the roaming whos job is to do damage as much as possible and have the ability to freely rocketjump around and all over (gunboats duh) Play some mge servers which are basically 1v1 but is really really good practice for playing soldier, even though you might get wrecked at first lol and realistically, spy and engi arnt good choices for 6v6, maybe highlander but yeah as the normal team has a medic, 2 scouts, a demoman, and 2 soldiers (roaming and pocket).

So I might have second guessed myself on that basic rocket jumping thing. I'm actually not that bad at getting where I need to go most of the time, though I will say that it's only on occasion to I get exactly where I need to go. I practice rocket jumping stuff on jump servers and I can do pretty well up until I'm getting to lengths in which I'd die in an actual game before reaching my destination. I'll be sure to get more practice in before I start doing competitive stuff, though.

As far as the spy and engi thing goes, I've been playing around with Scout and Medic in a few stock only pub servers and I'm decent ish with the Scout and I'm not bad with the medic. I understand that classes work differently in pub servers than in some competitive matches, but I at least have a feel for how the classes function. I'm still pretty terrible with the demoman, though.

Anyway, I really appreciate the advice. I've never been to an mge server before, but I'll give it a shot!

Also, I haven't really heard much on this, but while I'm (thankfully) already used to the standard loadout of the stock rocket launcher, the shotgun, and the escape plan, for a roaming soldier to function, he/she needs to survive without heals, but rolling out is still a must. Would it be a good idea to couple the gunboats with a black box so that he doesn't have to rely on the medic for heals? I understand the blackbox is banned in some matches, but I'm just wondering. Thanks in advance :3
[placeholder]

Offline Malifor

• Green Level
  • No
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 09:59:35 am »
The pocket soldier has the rocket launcher shotgun and escape plan c: but the roaming soldier always have the gunboats and escape plan? I use the market gardener lol but yeah, shouldn't need a black box since a good soldier dosent die for from his rocket jumps lol for me, with gunboats I only take like 12 damage for a decently good rocket jump lol and default is always the best dude, and roaming soldiers can use the health packs too more than a medic usually ^^

Offline moosemouse

• Brofessional
  • Yellow Level
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 03:54:59 pm »
Alright, cool. Thanks! :3

One last thing though: I've been wondering if it would be a good or bad idea to switch the escape plan out with the pain train? Since the escape plan was nerfed with the mark for death, it kind of makes it a lot riskier to use, and since the only class that deals bullet damage in a 6v6 is a scout, I was wondering if it would be more effective to use the pain train because of its double capturing speed?
[placeholder]

Offline Malifor

• Green Level
  • No
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 05:42:40 pm »
Why not lol the pocket is the pusher although some demo can use it , but eh I dont know, anything works ^^