Author Topic: I'm making my own public mmo site for furrys and i need help or advice.  (Read 787 times)

Offline Damon the husky

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
    • FurAffinity - Damon the husky
  • Fursona Species: husky
My website is going to be like imvu or second life, but it is going to be strictly furry. I want to be able to make it as cheap as possible for the players as far as avatars and clothing goes. I need support and since i don't have a job i need to figure out how to get money. i had to drop out of school at the beginning of this past year due to a series of unfortunate events. I AM ONLY 17 AND NEED TESTERS AND ADVICE FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS HAD EXPERIENCE. testers can be anyone willing to participate that can at the very least use a keyboard. i am setting up the mmo server, web server and file server by my self with only four computers so things will be a bit rough at first so i will limit the amount of people that can enter the site. As the site and project grows things will get better AND one thing that will be different than second life and imvu is I WILL ACTUALLY LISTEN TO YOU AND YOU'RE SUGGESTIONS AND DO MY BEST TO REACH A RESOLUTION TO ALL OF THE PROBLEMS AND DO MY BEST TO KEEP THINGS EASY TO USE AND RUNNING AS SMOOTHLY AS POSSIBLE. The reason i am doing this is because second life is laggy and is not very good (linden labs doesn't even really listen to anybody's suggestions or problems and it's very rare if they do) and imvu wants you to pay an arm and a leg every time you turn around. Both of them have there advantages but they both need a client to run. I want to make a furry mmo that can run on tablets like the asus transformer pad TF700T and desktop. i also need legal advice to avoid copyright infringement and any other legal hole i might get myself into. When i open up a bank account i will try to figure out how to get donations.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:51:04 am by Damon the husky »

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 215
Re: I'm making my own public mmo site for furrys and i need help or advice.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 05:31:14 am »
Hello  :)

You need to ask Natasha Softpaw and Panda. They are your first stop, though have you first cleared this with your parents? Technically you are a minor until reaching the adult legal age of 18 in California. Therefore your parents have to know.

What are you intending to power your furry forum? SMF or VBulletins (for example). "Free" sites have limitations as to what you can or cannot do. A paid service could become expensive and keeping advertisements off needs payment.

Being board owner is going to use up a LOT of your personal time and energy. Lots and lots and lots. The legal responsibilities are enormous. You have to know the law and get legal advice. The latter does not come cheap although I expect Natasha and Panda would be able to advise as they are kind, caring and always helpful.

In my experience of being a forum builder and an administrator to three forums, many offer to help, but few ever actually commit. I may sound like a hardass, but what you intend dear, it is hard work, often emotionally draining and at times you will be going it alone and want to give up.

Then there are trusted staff you have to choose very carefully and topics to make. And you really have to love all your members, because if you don't, it comes across and people quickly sense it. Believe you  me I have been there before and it is hard.

I wish you luck. Also a lot of time, hard graft and your having a very thick skin.

Merry Christmas. :)

~Alex

Offline Damon the husky

• Red Level
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 07:18:05 am »

You need to ask Natasha Softpaw and Panda. They are your first stop, though have you first cleared this with your parents? Technically you are a minor until reaching the adult legal age of 18 in California. Therefore your parents have to know.

What are you intending to power your furry forum? SMF or VBulletins (for example). "Free" sites have limitations as to what you can or cannot do. A paid service could become expensive and keeping advertisements off needs payment.

Being board owner is going to use up a LOT of your personal time and energy. Lots and lots and lots. The legal responsibilities are enormous. You have to know the law and get legal advice. The latter does not come cheap although I expect Natasha and Panda would be able to advise as they are kind, caring and always helpful.

In my experience of being a forum builder and an administrator to three forums, many offer to help, but few ever actually commit. I may sound like a hardass, but what you intend dear, it is hard work, often emotionally draining and at times you will be going it alone and want to give up.

Then there are trusted staff you have to choose very carefully and topics to make. And you really have to love all your members, because if you don't, it comes across and people quickly sense it. Believe you  me I have been there before and it is hard.

I wish you luck. Also a lot of time, hard graft and your having a very thick skin.

~Alex
thanks. I've been looking this up for a long time and i have a pretty good idea on the basics but it's a little different than a regular website. it's also a 3D world. my parents know and they said i could do it if i got the money, so things are kind of slowly rolling along. Merry Christmas to you to :3

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 06:01:57 pm »

~Alex
thanks. I've been looking this up for a long time and i have a pretty good idea on the basics but it's a little different than a regular website. it's also a 3D world. my parents know and they said i could do it if i got the money, so things are kind of slowly rolling along. Merry Christmas to you to :3

I don't know if you're still at school, but if so then your education must take precedence. If otherwise you are employed, be aware that such impressive 3D graphics could cost you a great amount of money in addition to the bandwidth your server permits. Come home tired out after a long shift and will you will feel like building your forum, especially where once promised help by others willing, said help is not forthcoming? I don't wish to damped your enthusiasm. Just telling you how hard its been for me, and for others. But your will to succeed is matched by both your desire to be successful, but only as your bank balance allows.

Merry Christmas to you too!  :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 06:07:51 pm by Alexxa »

Offline Damon the husky

• Red Level
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 04:39:20 am »

~Alex

I don't know if you're still at school, but if so then your education must take precedence. If otherwise you are employed, be aware that such impressive 3D graphics could cost you a great amount of money in addition to the bandwidth your server permits. Come home tired out after a long shift and will you will feel like building your forum, especially where once promised help by others willing, said help is not forthcoming? I don't wish to damped your enthusiasm. Just telling you how hard its been for me, and for others. But your will to succeed is matched by both your desire to be successful, but only as your bank balance allows.

After talking to Natasha she brought up a few things about the market on these type of 3d worlds that i hadn't even looked at. What she has told me has changed my ideas, it's going to (hopefully be a semi 3d game) that can run as single player if you are offline and allows you to connect to you're friend/ friends game when you are online. since the furry market isn't really that big I'll make the game available to every body, but there will be furry groups with invite only that you can form. the shops will have items up for purchase on an actual website. it will be a one time purchase game that let's you build rooms and maps and even trade maps with friends by uploading them to the site. the game is not going to be part of the website. the website is only going to be available for downloads and help. I am going to try my best to make something for the furry community that we can all enjoy at the very least. i still want to keep trying to find someway to make my first idea possible that can at the very least  sustain itself. But it needs to be open to not just furrys but a wider audience so it can stay alive

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 05:07:50 am »

~Alex

After talking to Natasha she brought up a few things about the market on these type of 3d worlds that i hadn't even looked at. What she has told me has changed my ideas, it's going to (hopefully be a semi 3d game) that can run as single player if you are offline and allows you to connect to you're friend/ friends game when you are online. since the furry market isn't really that big I'll make the game available to every body, but there will be furry groups with invite only that you can form. the shops will have items up for purchase on an actual website. it will be a one time purchase game that let's you build rooms and maps and even trade maps with friends by uploading them to the site. the game is not going to be part of the website. the website is only going to be available for downloads and help. I am going to try my best to make something for the furry community that we can all enjoy at the very least. i still want to keep trying to find someway to make my first idea possible that can at the very least  sustain itself. But it needs to be open to not just furrys but a wider audience so it can stay alive

This is exciting and I am glad you contacted Natasha. :)

Mum Rachel who occasionally perches with me here says, if you became successful, check out getting your concept designed for a cell phone game, an App. She said if it went viral. . ..that would be a wow and could make you quite a lot of money.

Offline Damon the husky

• Red Level
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 05:22:43 am »
This is exciting and I am glad you contacted Natasha. :)

Mum Rachel who occasionally perches with me here says, if you became successful, check out getting your concept designed for a cell phone game, an App. She said if it went viral. . ..that would be a wow and could make you quite a lot of money.
[/quote] that's actually what i plan to do. i hope to make it available for windows Mac (PPC and Intell) Windows 7 and 8 iOS and android, but i don't want to spread myself to thin. but that is if i even get that far.