Author Topic: What happened to the gaming industry?  (Read 556 times)

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Candy: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
What happened to the gaming industry?
« on: December 28, 2013, 06:05:00 pm »
It really confuses me me how the gaming industry is. There's barely any original games anymore. It's all about money and none about content.

Seriously. What are the popular genres?
-Military/First Person Shooter
-Indie
-Cube-Related

First Person Shooter games are basically everywhere. And older games end up turning their sequels into these FPS to try to fit in, and fail miserably. First person shooter has turned into an awful gaming genre. It's no longer entertaining.

Basically every other game on Steam is an Indie game. Indie games are made by individuals/small teams; not huge corporates. They usually have a low budget, but they end up becoming really great. I don't have too much of a problem with this genre, I just hate that so many people are trying to create their own games, and it just clutters up all the options.

Cube related games are pretty dumb too. I don't know if it started from Minecraft, or somewhere before, but people really like cubes and simple graphics. So what happened? More games of this style were made. Most of these are indie as well.

So the big question is, where is the gaming industry going? The huge corporations and developers are failing massively, and smaller people are taking over with cheaper, and lower quality games.

Offline Swift the Panther

• If you follow my advice you're either incredibly courageous or an incredible idiot.
  • Yellow Level
  • Candy: 23
  • Fursona Species: Panther
Re: What happened to the gaming industry?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 06:36:19 pm »
'Mighty oaks from little acorns grow.' I think your being a little harsh on up and coming developers. As far as I can see, the gaming industry is going a bit like this. *Most of* the huge, rich companies that have resources are producing trash to get richer. Whereas, the honest indie-makers are *mostly* just trying to produce a fun game. If you're worried that there won't be anymore really good games, don't lose hope; some of the huge industries continue to produce great games, even with the growing pressure to produce pure money makers.
Dear all,
I am no longer active on this site and would ask that none of you send friend requests/chat invites/etc. to whatever account of mine you may find. Thank you.

Offline zspartancats

• Spartan
  • Blue Level
  • Candy: 59
  • I AM A RHINO!
    • DeviantArt - zspartancats
    • FurAffinity - zspartancats
    • LiveJournal - zspartancats
  • Fursona Species: Rhino
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 09:26:35 pm »
The gaming industry is following what ever is currently popular.

Making a triple A game is heavy on cost and resources. It can take 3 to 5 years (or more) to make a big budget game and your money and people are tied up until the game is released. Making a big game is a finical risk. If it fails, you've just wasted a lot of time and money. Sequels can help make development time go down and save money. They already have models and everything they need to make a new game. All they need to do is make new levels, gameplay designs, or something else. Sequels can also be a safe bet for investors. If Call of Duty 15 sold amazingly and got good ratings, that means Call of Duty 16 should do the same!

On Indie games, the internet can take the blame. The internet is  free distributions for game and allows for people to take a chance and make the game of their dreams.

Cube games are popular because everyone wants to be the new Minecraft.

Offline wreckgar39

• Red Level
  • Candy: 4
  • "Kept ya waiting huh?"
  • Fursona Species: A corgi.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 12:33:10 am »
zSpartancats has a good point. It's much safer to make a sequel that is essentially new levels and such with the same kind of gameplay than to try to make something new. Companies that make fps games stick to them because it's what people enjoy playing these days. Why do something different that might fail when you can reuse what works for everyone?

As for Indie games, the Internet and today's technology are mostly to blame as anyone who has access to the ability to make a game often can go right ahead with little trouble. Large companies such as Microsoft and Sony have been supportive to Indie developers as well, so there's more encouragement and incentive to create Indie projects. On Kickstart you can put up an idea for a movie, game, or product and people will be able to instantly support you if they like the idea.

Now as for cube related games, I'm not too sure of. However, everyone wants to copy Minecraft after they've seen how popular it's become. That is certain.

Personally, I would love to see more hack n slash action games like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, and Metal Gear Rising, but unfortunately this also runs into that problem with not sticking to what works. Even though it was a brilliant game, DmC: Devil May Cry did not sell well at all due to everything being changed. People of course were not happy with Dante's new design and the route he and the other characters took on their personalities. Some people refused to go anywhere near it simply for those reasons and made multiple accounts on sites just to give it terrible reviews.

Other such games like The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta also did not fare well when selling unfortunately, so it's a risk to make a game such as that. I'm not saying that they're Indie, but Platinum Games is a relatively small company that doesn't do too well in the long run. However, one of their more recent games, Metal Gear Rising, made it's debut on Steam and Bayonetta 2 is due in February, so it's possible that they will be able to recover.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Zukaro Travon

• Prince of Kenthar
  • Yellow Level
  • Candy: 13
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 09:23:23 pm »
It really confuses me me how the gaming industry is. There's barely any original games anymore. It's all about money and none about content.

Seriously. What are the popular genres?
-Military/First Person Shooter
-Indie
-Cube-Related

First Person Shooter games are basically everywhere. And older games end up turning their sequels into these FPS to try to fit in, and fail miserably. First person shooter has turned into an awful gaming genre. It's no longer entertaining.

Basically every other game on Steam is an Indie game. Indie games are made by individuals/small teams; not huge corporates. They usually have a low budget, but they end up becoming really great. I don't have too much of a problem with this genre, I just hate that so many people are trying to create their own games, and it just clutters up all the options.

Cube related games are pretty dumb too. I don't know if it started from Minecraft, or somewhere before, but people really like cubes and simple graphics. So what happened? More games of this style were made. Most of these are indie as well.

So the big question is, where is the gaming industry going? The huge corporations and developers are failing massively, and smaller people are taking over with cheaper, and lower quality games.

Just because a game doesn't have great graphics does not mean it's lower quality.  I fail to see how games which use cubes are dumb, it's a style and it works very well for some games.
I also fail to see why you have an issue with indie games.  There's tons of amazing indie games out there, and while they may not have huge budgets they still make incredible games.  As well, the only difference between indie devs and big companies is that big companies used to publish what smaller developers dreamed up, it was just harder to get your games published however due to the fact that companies don't like taking risks.

As for why all these military games are popular, it's because it's easy and safe for the company to make and get money off of.

Where the industry is going?  To the indie devs.  Also, indie isn't a genre of game.

There's also not that many games which use cubes.  There's Minecraft and then there's one or two others (I'm only counting games which are not Minecraft rip offs).  And the cube style works just fine for those games.