Author Topic: My Review of Green Fairy by Kyell Gold  (Read 764 times)

Offline GrayWolf

• A lone wolf, but one with many friends.
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 35
  • Love is not life; love enhances life~Green Fairy
  • Fursona Species: Timber Wolf
My Review of Green Fairy by Kyell Gold
« on: January 06, 2014, 03:09:04 pm »
[/left]Not too long ago, I came across this book and saw that it was by famed furry author Kyell Gold. For those of you that don't know, Kyell Gold is a very famous author in the furry community, mostly known for making both gay and adult novels with anthropomorphic characters in them. The reason I bring this up is because Green Fairy is Kyell Gold's first non-adult novel to be published. I got intrigued, and decided to read it.

And afterward, I see it as a great emotional experience.

In a world filled withfurries, we revolve around two different stories entwined by three different characters. Our first character is a wolf named Sol Wrightston, a closeted senior who wants to move in with his secret boyfriend, who happens to be a ram named Carcy, and leave his homophobic small town behind. But fate has a different idea when he loses his starting spot on the high school baseball team to a bully, and his father finds out. Add that to the fact that Sol is giving up meat in order to live with Carcy, his father gives Sol a choice to either take his spot back, or he'll lose the car he needs to move away.

Meanwhile, Sol and his gothic best friend, an otter named Meg Kinnick, have to work on a school project involving the Moulin Rouge. As part of the project, Sol reads up on a gay love story from the eyes of Jean, a ram noble who fell in love with a foxy dancer at the Moulin Rouge. To help, Meg and Sol drink some absinthe to 'get a feel for the time period'. However, not only does Sol have visions of the time period, but he sees them through the ghostly perspective of Niki, the fox dancer. And because of these hallucinating dreams, Sol must figure out the line between what is real and what's not, and try to understand more about the past, and why he keeps seeing a link in his and Niki's life.

I'm going to be honest with you, I actually thought this book was going to be a terrible novel at first. In fact, I remember thinking to myself, 'Did this really come from the Kyell Gold, one of the most famous and creative authors in the furry community?' I didn't know how he'd get around these cliches, like the father that gives the main character high expectations, the loser that's bullied for being different than others, and trying to push himself to the limit to please his family. I thought it'd be bad.

But thankfully, I was 100% wrong. As always, Kyell Gold brought us a novel with beautiful writing, excellent pacing, interesting characters, emotional moments, and a surprisingly complex story to follow in this case.

Sol is as basic a main character Kyell Gold writes, but he makes up for that by having fantastic character development in the novel and a good sense of maturity. You feel sorry for him and feel the pressure Sol is going through. Plus, you do relate to Sol, mostly because Green Fairy both focuses on the pressures of high school and being on a sports team, especially a homophobic sports team.

As for side characters, we have Meg, who kind of reminds me a lot of Malaya from Kyell Gold's other novel 'Waterways'. Still, she's is pretty fun for a goth, and she get's good lines here and there. Another side character is this red fox named Alexei Tsarev, a foreign exchange student from Siberia that Sol eventually becomes great friends with. Much like Meg, he's interesting, has a nice personality, and does get good lines. It's that, and you find out something that makes him even more interesting.

We also have Sol's parents. They're a bit generic, but I do feel for them as Sol does. I saw the father as a bit one-dimensional, but I understood the ethos on how his motives are not about manhood but about a wolf's place in society. Then we have this bully named Taric, the coyote that took Sol's spot on the baseball team. As the book went on, I actually found this guy entertaining a bit, at least as a bully. Taric just hates Sol, period, and will do anything to humiliate him.

Now let's talk about our characters at the Moulin Rouge. First, we have Jean, who is pretty interesting as a noble. He has this sense of elegance to him, and it does show. We also have Niki, who is basically a mirror to Sol, but does have this sense of wanting more out of life, and just loves to dance, despite the fact he has to disguise himself as a vixen when he has to. Again, these guys do have good character development, and I just loved to read their chapters.

From these three differentiating perspectives, they all do flow well together as one story, and you see the way they all link together. We have the one story set in modern-day Georgia, but also the other story set in 1900's Moulin Rouge. I love how these stories mirror off one another, how Sol and Niki both want to leave their pasts behind and live the lives they want, and that it shows just how much they want love in their lives. I just love how mystical the books feels from these three entwined stories.

Speaking of which, I just love the feel of this book, and how much it's making the world Sol lives in seem harsh and cruel. At times, it does feel really happy and upbeat like Kyell's other works, but Green Fairy can be really dark and gloomy when it wants to be. There's even some strong language that sounds realistic. But that works to the novel's advantage because it makes the characters even more relatable and the cruel moments hype the drama more.

Green Fairy's stories are set so you basically don't know if the visions Sol sees are actually caused by Niki's ghost, or if it's the absinthe talking. It sort of gives you this look into a person's perception and reality after taking something as strong as absinthe. It makes Sol, and even the reader, question what is reality, and what are dreams in this story, and even makes you questions if ghosts are, in fact, real or not.

Lastly, I just adore the beautifully written climax of the novel, and the very surprising ending. Without giving too many spoilers, let's just say that after reading this climax and finishing Green Fairy, you'll have this bittersweet feeling inside that will also make you feel just joyous. :sad-fox:

Overall, I see this not only as a gay coming-of-terms story, but as a great journey into the spiritual minds. It has great characters, a darker tone than Kyell Gold usually does, and two excellent stories. I find it ironic how I thought I would hate this book, and it did show in the first chapter, but I instead see it as one of my favorite novels. In fact, I have no problems with Green Fairy at all, the closest being that I want you to read it now.

That reminds me. I heard that Kyell Gold is releasing a sequel to Green Fairy called 'Red Devil', this time looking into the life of Alexei as he has his take on an old ghost from history. Count me on getting that!  :D :fox-;):
I consider myself a lone wolf, but I don't mind a friend or two to talk with. I also happen to be a writer.

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." ~Ray Bradbury