Author Topic: Things that make you nostalgic.  (Read 6461 times)

Offline Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 309
  • Hoofies down here.
  • Fursona Species: Sheep
Things that make you nostalgic.
« on: January 08, 2014, 02:25:42 pm »
Is there anything that really makes you long for the past? It can be any sentimental place, person, situation or even an object that really makes you fondly look back on a period of your life. If you do, post about it in this thread. :)

To get things started: What has really been making me nostalgic lately is YouTube clips of the Walking with... series by the BBC. It used the latest in CGI and animatronics to creatively represent our modern (at the time) understanding of prehistoric life across the Phanerozoic eon. Even if some of it was overly speculative, there were a couple of mistakes and if it is somewhat outdated now -- it still defined my childhood interest in paleontology. It's just a shame the recent film couldn't have taken further example from it.

So what makes you feel nostalgic, FT?
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
Re: Things that make you nostalgic.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 05:48:16 pm »
Snow. I've always loved snow. It's one of the few things that can actually make me really happy. I lived near a hill so I would always sled during the nice winters when I was young.

This damn site makes me nostalgic. In two more months my account here will be four years old.

Offline Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Retired Staff
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 10:59:14 am »
Classic Disney films like Bambi, Lady and the Tramp and The Lion King. Not only did I love these films as a child, but it reminds me of a time where animated films and films in general did not rely too much on computer-generated imagery. There's a lot of charm in traditional 2D animation and it's a shame few films seem to utilize it anymore.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline Snowfox

• Snow ❄
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 10
    • Twitter - blinkpony
  • Fursona Species: Snowfox
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 03:40:43 pm »
YouTube clips of the Walking with... series by the BBC.

Wow, that made me massively nostalgic. That program was one of the highlights of my childhood, thanks for reminding me!
I've gotta agree with the classic disney films, my particular favourite was always Robin Hood.

As for something a little different, old games always seem to make me really nostalgic. Things like Pokemon, Rayman, Zelda, ect.
In fact I heard the Pokemon blue theme a little while back and I got the biggest yearning to run home, dig out my old gameboy colour and give it a go again.
...Snow    

Feel free to message me :)

"Not all those who wander are lost"

Offline Gaz

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 307
  • Icon created by Proto
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 03:41:24 pm »
The N64 console, it just brings back great memories of my old house, my family, everything really.
I still have it up in my room, I will never get rid of it!  :fox-:):
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/They
Feel free to contact me with questions, concerns,
or if you just want to talk!

Offline weblacie

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 186
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 04:38:19 pm »
Listening to music I loved when I was a kid, playing video games I loved when I was a kid, looking at old drawings...
I've left (again), probably for good but idk. If you wanna talk to me outside the forum, feel free to email me. Just tell me who you are in the email pls

Offline Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Retired Staff
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 05:59:25 pm »
Old Cartoon Network shows like Dexter's Laboratory, Courage the Cowardly Dog and Cow and Chicken.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline Saint Judas

• The Dreamwalker
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 190
  • Deaf to my own Calling
  • Fursona Species: Rataven
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 07:09:02 pm »
Old drawings and half finished stories I tried to make up that no longer make sense.
Steam
You are always welcome to critique my art or debate anything I say. Requests are currently closed

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 215
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 08:59:32 pm »
I lived in Venice for a while long enough to write a novella. It needs to be finished and the only way I can do that is to return. One day.

I have all my favourite Disney films which have been carefully put on a higher shelf. I am very fond of them because I was very young at the time, but the most influential Disney film for me ever - was Fantasia.

And there is a certain fountain pen, a beautiful Graf von Faber-Castell which makes me nostalgic of the first time I met Rachel. I was very moved when she gave it to me for my 14th birthday.

Offline Swift the Panther

• If you follow my advice you're either incredibly courageous or an incredible idiot.
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 23
  • Fursona Species: Panther
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 10:03:05 pm »
Diet Pepsi. Yep. It seems like whenever I have really happy moment, I always have a Diet Pepsi. Which is weird because I don't particularly like Pepsi, and I hate diet soda.  :?
Dear all,
I am no longer active on this site and would ask that none of you send friend requests/chat invites/etc. to whatever account of mine you may find. Thank you.

Offline Szop

• cute af
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 34
    • FurAffinity - Szop
    • Twitter - fxSzop
  • Fursona Species: Raccoon
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 04:42:35 pm »

"AND I SAY HEYY~ WHAT A WONDERFUL KIND OF DAY~"

Offline Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Retired Staff
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 06:40:07 pm »
- The old Wallace and Gromit shorts. In addition to Disney films like Bambi and The Lady and the Tramp, these claymation shorts comprise as some of the earliest things I could sit through. They're rife with British humour and I still adore all of the characters and plots.

- Something else that makes me feel nostalgia is the early books I read in my childhood. Some of my favourite being the Harry Potter books and A Series of Unfortunate Events. I still really look back on them fondly.

- The last thing that makes me feel feel nostalgic is something really deep and meaningful on a personal level. Sometimes when I'm feeling really sullen and despondent, I'll watch the early Symphony of Science videos by MelodySheep (John Boswell). Namely:

http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc
http://youtu.be/XGK84Poeynk
http://youtu.be/wxDOpAM2FrQ

I know it might be hard to understand because to some of you, they're just well-known scientists discussing significant topics in science in auto-tune. But it's what they represent as a whole that's so meaningful to me. They mark a major transition in my life: My newly found passion for science, and my decision to one day work towards finding a career related to it. I've always had a fondness for the natural world and our scientific understanding of it. But it was these videos that influenced me that that is what I want to be working towards.

Sure I was also grestly inspired by specific figures such as Richard Dawkins and many of his books, but it's these catchy videos instantly available to watch due to the internet, that bring back so many memories of hope and positive change. Before that I was hopeless, depressed at school and didn't think I could go anywhere. Watching these remind me of how much I've changed and how hard I have put into my ambitions.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline Akio Leopard

• ^~^
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 63
  • Icon by Ziggyzoom
    • DeviantArt - AkioLeopard
    • FurAffinity - AkioLeopard
  • Fursona Species: Snow Leopard
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 06:44:10 pm »
Listening to songs I haven't heard in forever makes me nostalgic. So does looking through all my PS2 games. I still hook up the PS2 and play it sometimes, there were some really nice games for it. And seeing and occasionally looking through old yearbooks.
Feel free to PM me or message me on Skype. I like to talk, and as long as I'm not busy I'm happy to chat anytime :lol-fox:
(But I'm kind of awkward so you'll have to message me first)

~I don't even know what I was gonna put here~

Offline Malifor

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 73
  • No
    • FurAffinity - malifor2210
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 07:46:36 pm »
So does looking through all my PS2 games. I still hook up the PS2 and play it sometimes, there were some really nice games for it.
ALL of my old PS2 games yay.~ Ratchet and Clank and Spyro series for me let's say. And another could be just randomly browsing my Itunes for songs that I unchecked and relive the moments of when I loved those songs. It's mainly music for me though.

Offline Lucius.

• Friend please...
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 189
  • Fursona Species: Wolfdog
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 07:29:50 pm »
Pokémon! :D
Not much else to add.
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - aromantic
Icon by Nagi. :rose:

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 07:49:25 pm »
Smoky lapsang souchong, sipped by the fire long ago with my real mum when I was all but eleven.

Offline Saint Judas

• The Dreamwalker
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 190
  • Deaf to my own Calling
  • Fursona Species: Rataven
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 08:58:43 pm »
Silverwing. It's a book
Steam
You are always welcome to critique my art or debate anything I say. Requests are currently closed

Offline Gaz

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 307
  • Icon created by Proto
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 09:11:23 pm »
Dark Cloud.
A ps2 classic.

One of the best games on this planet, unnngg memories~~
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/They
Feel free to contact me with questions, concerns,
or if you just want to talk!

• split your infinities
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 60
  • By irishthorns@FA
    • FurAffinity - aurorapaws
    • Twitter - aurorafatalis
  • Fursona Species: a cleverly arranged amalgamation of carbon compounds
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 05:50:23 pm »
Listening to music that I used to listen to during a particular time in the past. That's really the most powerful for me by a long shot.

Going to old places in Roblox also does though.
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - demiromantic

None of this will matter
20 years from now

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 06:01:38 pm »
The smell of freshly baked bread reminds me of Grandma's kitchen.