Author Topic: Geography People! Help me out!  (Read 780 times)

Offline Subzero

• JB17
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 71
    • FurAffinity - szsubzero01
    • Twitter - SubzeroCheetah
  • Fursona Species: Cheetah
Geography People! Help me out!
« on: January 27, 2014, 08:42:15 pm »
Hey guys... Sorry for posting.

I was wondering if anyone could help me brainstorm some ideas here. I have a Global Geography final exam on Wednesday, and we were given 3 essay topics to prepare for. If you would like to share an idea or two, I promise you will get a cookie!

Below are the 3 potential Essay Topics

1. There are food issues around the world.  In some countries the issue is over-consumption, and in others it is under-consumption.   Using the following quote, 'Human health will continue to suffer on the anvil of profit'. ¬ Dr R. Anderson. Explain how corporations, politics, and money affect how people around the world consume food.

2. The population of the world reached 7 billion by the end of 2011. The population is expected to reach 9 billion by 2050. Can our planet support this growing population? Support your answer with references to the impact on resources and the environment. Also consider the impact on less developed countries compared to countries like Canada (or United States, for the sake of the forum haha). 

3. Explain the reasons that contribute to the ongoing disparity in standard of living amongst the nations of the world, and propose one global policy change you believe could help improve this situation over time.   

Help me please!

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 273
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Re: Geography People! Help me out!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 10:01:15 pm »
Hopefully the fact that i dont take geography wont hinder the suggestions i can think of. Not sure how long the essay is, but these are just some thoughts on what i would write in these scenarios

1. There are food issues around the world.  In some countries the issue is over-consumption, and in others it is under-consumption.   Using the following quote, 'Human health will continue to suffer on the anvil of profit'. ¬ Dr R. Anderson. Explain how corporations, politics, and money affect how people around the world consume food.

What this quote means to me is that as long as the economy keeps growing, health will continue to suffer. The ideal balance for us the food problem would be a communist like system where everyone is treated equally with the same amount of food. However this is not possible as the large countries want to keep their money (and stay powerful)[politics],Coorperations are just not wanted in the communist system [corporations], and people are just inherently greedy [money]

2. The population of the world reached 7 billion by the end of 2011. The population is expected to reach 9 billion by 2050. Can our planet support this growing population? Support your answer with references to the impact on resources and the environment. Also consider the impact on less developed countries compared to countries like Canada (or United States, for the sake of the forum haha). 

First of all, You have to take a stance here, yes or no, its just too hard to argue a middle ground stance in here. I personally would go with no. Besides the fact that more people means more resources which therefore means more production leading to more pollution, you could also argue about living quality for of others. You cant put all those people in one giant city, as that would be a large strain on the city's resources, and require building more infrastructure thereby leading to more pollution. This is not also including the idea that overcrowding people could bring upon more forms of diseases, that could be potentially stronger. Might want to also mention the carbon footprint of a person in a lifetime. Though this may be radical, for 3rd world countries, think about how the crime rate would increase due to more people, not enough jobs for everyone, and not enough supplies for everyone.

3. Explain the reasons that contribute to the ongoing disparity in standard of living amongst the nations of the world, and propose one global policy change you believe could help improve this situation over time.

I keep thinking that the disparity between nations stemmed from a long time ago when countries achieved independence from their overpowering monarchies (while the monarchies are still quite powerful), such as Canada, US or even Russia. I also think that the world wars were key important factors in increasing the wealth of wealthy nations (which in part, helped form the G8 and likewise organizations). It is because of the money these powerful counties are getting, that allows them to go into other countries and meddle with their affairs (when they claim to "help" them). Thereby causing a problem where the 3rd world is depending on the first world, which is constantly getting richer and "helping" the 3rd world. Basically the 3rd world doesn't grow as much as the 1st world. You might want to focus on that as a key point in how the policy change will be very tough to implement

As for the policy change, you need an idea that doesn't involve other countries getting involved with the developing countries, but pushing them to allow them to grow and be prosperous. Ideally, for everyone to be happy we would have a global communism system, but china kind of proves that doesn't work.
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline Subzero

• JB17
  • Blue Level
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 10:30:11 pm »
-snip-

Havent read any of what you said - too tired. But I'll read it tomorrow. Cookie for now... :P

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 11:30:03 am »
Well if you choose the first topic, you could probably easily find data/maps supporting the topic. You could also find data relating said locations with the general income (wealth/poverty) as well. You could bring obesity into this also, because obesity is a pretty heavy (pun) deal, and a top killer. Starvation is also a killer. Killer vs. Killer.

Thinking about the second topic .... Is there even enough physical land space to support that many people? Well of course there is, but what about inhabited places. You can't just throw half the population into Antarctica because there's no more room anywhere else. They've got to live in places that people already live in. But what about food supply? Water supply? Anything supply? Are there enough farms? What if water ran out? What about money? In a country like China, the yearly salary is a mere fraction of one in America. They have too many people for the jobs needed, so they just pay them less and less.

That's about all I can think of. Hope it helps. Sorry that I didn't address topic 3. Wasn't feeling it.

Offline Subzero

• JB17
  • Blue Level
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 11:34:41 am »
Thanks Jethro! No worries about Q3, I appreciate any help I can get!

Thank you to both of you, actually. My brain just needs a jump start and hoepfully I'll be able to starting cruising on some ideas. There are definately things on my brainstorming sheet that you guys have suggusted. I wish I was allowed to pick which one I could write about, lol. But yes thank you once again! :)