Author Topic: Any studying tips please?  (Read 987 times)

Offline GrayWolf

• A lone wolf, but one with many friends.
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 38
  • Love is not life; love enhances life~Green Fairy
  • Fursona Species: Timber Wolf
Any studying tips please?
« on: January 30, 2014, 11:15:58 am »
Like everyone, I want to get in a good college after high school, and I need to get my grades up in Environmental Science. I try to study, but I always doze off and daydream. Any tips on how to memorize m notes and study? :???:
I consider myself a lone wolf, but I don't mind a friend or two to talk with. I also happen to be a writer.

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." ~Ray Bradbury

Offline Tigran

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 12
  • Fursona Species: White Tiger
Re: Any studying tips please?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 02:36:27 pm »
Well the way i do it is by reading text books/ revision guides and taking notes on the important points from them, i then review the notes, after i am satisfied i know a unit well enough, i usually take a past paper exam to see what i do and don't know and basically repeat.

As for motivation, well that's really quite simple, there is no other way except basically forcing yourself to work, but if you find it hard to concentrate for long periods at a time, i suggest you do for example, 45 to an hour of studying, and i mean proper studying not "read a paragraph, stare at the wall or check facebook for 5 mins" and then take a 10-15 minute break. An i'd say try eating something before studying, make sure you're not hungry becasue that always distracts from books
"You are waiting for someone, someone from a half-remembered dream. Don't you want to take a leap of faith? Or become an old man, filled with regret, waiting to die alone."

Offline DakotaLandon

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 10
  • I love to cuddle!
  • Fursona Species: canine mix
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 03:48:11 pm »
Try studying at the library. Don't bring personal belongings like mp3 players or handheld game systems. If the library is too quiet and boring, try a coffee shop! Sometimes music helps a lot, depending on the individual. Try new things to find out what the best way is because once you're in college, you're really gonna need to focus! College has much less busy work but you have to use your brain more so you have to focus.
DΩL

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 273
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 05:32:55 pm »
First of all, make sure you study for periods of time that are not too short without distractions. There is a study out there somewhere that said that there is a mode you get into the longer you study for, which helps your concentration and memorization for your work. If you get too distracted, you wont remember things as clearly and you could probably waste many hours of your time not studying when you could have been

Second, make sure you what conditions you study the best under. Do you need to cut yourself off the internet when you study? Does listening to music help you study? Do you feel a need to study somewhere that is not home? Ask yourself questions to figure out what is the most ideal for YOU. Then try and reach these conditions.

Third of all, Study in advance before tests and so forth. This gives you time to ask questions, seek clarification or even get more practice when you need it.
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 08:12:23 pm »
Study the night before a test that way it's fresh in your mind. It's what I do and I've had a 3.8 throughout all highschool.

Offline Akio Leopard

• ^~^
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 63
  • Icon by Ziggyzoom
    • DeviantArt - AkioLeopard
    • FurAffinity - AkioLeopard
  • Fursona Species: Snow Leopard
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 09:51:41 pm »
-Figure out what conditions you study best in. Make sure there are minimal distractions, and you're comfortable. But don't get too comfortable, you don't want to fall asleep :3
-Start studying early. A week or so before a test, start to study a little bit. Study a bit more each night until you've taken the test.
-If possible, use a review sheet. Go over it without looking at your notes to figure out what you need to study the most, and focus on those things.
-Personally, I find that listening to music helps, but only if it's quiet and not my favorite artists. Otherwise I pay too much attention to the music.
-You could try studying with a friend. Take turns quizzing each other over the material. This definitely doesn't work for everyone, but it's something to try.
-If something is distracting, do whatever you can to get away from it. Turn your phone off, computer off, study somewhere other than your house. The more distractions you can eliminate the better.

Hope this helps :3
Feel free to PM me or message me on Skype. I like to talk, and as long as I'm not busy I'm happy to chat anytime :lol-fox:
(But I'm kind of awkward so you'll have to message me first)

~I don't even know what I was gonna put here~

Offline ZhenraKhal (Lucas)

• Red Level
  • May the bridges I burn light my way
    • DeviantArt - ZhenraKhal
    • FurAffinity - ZhenraKhal
    • My DeviantArt
  • Fursona Species: Skalebroniir (Draconic Humanoid)
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 10:00:14 pm »
While studying, listen to some of your favorite music. your brain will imprint the information that you're studying in the same place it has imprinted the music into your brain, and when you remember the music, you'll remember that info. this is why the ABC's, the "this bone's connected to that bone" and the periodic elements are all songs.

Offline Broklyn Grove

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 7
    • fanpop
  • Fursona Species: African wild dog/wolf
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 10:46:01 pm »
Try listening to soothing music or anything that relaxes  you while you study so that things which you are studying can be easier to remember since it will be like remembering the lyrics to a song instead it will be the answers to your test.
《《《 its not how we are going to get their, it's how we got there wearing a fursuit 》》》

Offline _Braz_

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 13
  • 2 rules to live by: Love anime and Stay Furry ;p
    • DeviantArt - Duvall1997
    • FurAffinity - Braz
  • Fursona Species: Fox (yellow)
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 10:36:54 am »
I'm not sure if this class is similar to your Environmental Science, but I just finished a midterm for my Honors Marine biology class and I to memorize 50 Genus's, but I forgot to study and left it until the night before, but i still passed!

Everyone has different study methods, some work best in a stress free zone, other work best when stress is all around, you need to find which is best for you, and when you do, from there you need to find what method you should use, you could make flashcards, practice tests, study with a friend, write post-it notes around your house so you can remember, and the list goes on! I would personally recommend using a website called Quizlet.com, all you have to do is put in the information you want to study and then it will give you flashcards, practice tests and a few other options! It's a great website to use!
There’s no such thing as a painless lesson, they just don’t exist. Sacrifices are necessary; you can’t gain anything without losing something first. Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it, you’ll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle. Yeah… a heart made fullmetal. -Edward Elric, The Fullmetal Alchemist

Offline Linx the Crazy Wolf

• Death metal. Just lots and lots of death metal.
  • Orange Level
  • Just back here for nostalgia really.
    • FurAffinity - Linxcrazywolf
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 05:48:55 pm »
Don't try to make studying seem like trying to memorize "Pi to a Thousand Places." Just make sure you take your time to remember everything, not to just get it under your belt. Study the second you hear about the said test or quiz or quest (if your teach is a pain in the rear and does these things). I also find that using notecards or Quizlet could help a lot.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Hmu with your metal playlist and we'll talk.

Offline guapo

• we can start and finish wars
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 289
  • we're what killed the dinosaurs
    • DeviantArt - teethpunk
    • FurAffinity - benzos
    • Twitter - mcfreaking
    • nice aesthetic!
  • Fursona Species: conepatus semistriatus
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 06:21:39 pm »
Sometimes when reading out of a textbook, I'll write or type the sentences as I read them. It helps me memorize lines and lines of text.  :badger:
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: they/them/their
the dinosaurs choked on the dust
they died because we say they must

maybe i'll come back later
see ya

Offline Ra'Jargo

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 4
  • Howdy!
  • Fursona Species: Mountain Lion/Cougar
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 03:22:51 pm »
Chew gum--it's scientifically proven to help you think.
Listen to classical music-it's scientifically proven to inspire creative and original thoughts. 
Gardens are truly amazing, they can be created to be as welcoming and comfortable as you like. If done correctly, they will attract new friends, neighbors, and friendly wildlife. With hard and honest work, it can become a personal paradise...There's a reason why God created man in a garden.