Author Topic: Factoring  (Read 726 times)

Offline Akio Leopard

• ^~^
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 63
  • Icon by Ziggyzoom
    • DeviantArt - AkioLeopard
    • FurAffinity - AkioLeopard
  • Fursona Species: Snow Leopard
Factoring
« on: February 03, 2014, 08:06:50 pm »
Factoring has always been one of my weak areas in math. I'm fine at expanding using the FOIL method, but I can't do the reverse process to save myself. I'm also really bad with guessing and checking, I need a formula if I'm to be efficient. This isn't too big of a problem with quadratics, but I really have no idea how to factor higher degree polynomials. And I'm really going to need to get good at factoring, as we are starting to do more advanced factoring in my math class (FST).

Sample of what it is I struggle with:
Factor x^3 - 6x^2 + 13x - 10

So if anyone can explain a method on how to simplify a polynomial by reverse factoring (if that's even what it's called), or if you know of a video or website that explains it very well, I'd really appreciate it :3

*Edit: We're also working with imaginary numbers, so I'm pretty sure i is somewhere in the answer to that sample problem.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 09:03:57 pm by Akio Leopard »
Feel free to PM me or message me on Skype. I like to talk, and as long as I'm not busy I'm happy to chat anytime :lol-fox:
(But I'm kind of awkward so you'll have to message me first)

~I don't even know what I was gonna put here~

Offline Zenith Decrowe

• Bold as Love
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 42
  • Not a chicken
    • FurAffinity - zeniththecrow
  • Fursona Species: Crow
Re: Factoring
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 09:43:53 pm »
https://www.khanacademy.org/  You can basically learn everything in the world about math here lol X>  i dont know anything about math myself tho, so i cant help you personally.  khan academy will probably be enough though
  • Site Donor
And so castles made of sand fall in the sea,
Eventually

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 11:52:30 pm »
Private message me your Skype information and I Can give you a video tutor of how to do it. It can't be tomorrow though because I'm busy all day. And it's not that easy to explain in just text.

Offline NightF0x

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 178
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 12:10:50 am »
I used to tutor at Kumon (idk if you're familiar with that.) Add me on skype (nightf0x32) and I'll be glad to help out!
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Subzero

• JB17
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 71
    • FurAffinity - szsubzero01
    • Twitter - SubzeroCheetah
  • Fursona Species: Cheetah
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 12:39:29 am »
There's two methods that I'm aware of for factoring a polynomial of a degree 3 or higher. Those would be long division and synthetic division. Synthetic division is much easier, and less room for error. Check this video out to see how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZoMz1Cy1T4

The only problem with this video is that in his problem, it told you what to divide it by (x-2). You will also NEED a remainder of zero. To factor, you'll have to guess and check factors. The POSSIBLE factors will be the positive and negative factors of your "d" term (-10 in this case). So the possible factors in this case would be:

POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE FACTORS OF -10
(+/- means "plus or minus")
x +/- 1
x +/- 2
x +/- 5
x +/- 10

I did it out, and factor you want to factor out is (x-2), which means a positive 2 in your division. Also notice the remaining factors are 1, -4 and 5. These are the coefficients for what the (x-2) has to be mutiplied by to get the original equation. These multiplied together will give you the factored form. Here's my work on it...

It's currently 1:40am my time. Sorry if anything didn't make sense!

Offline Akio Leopard

• ^~^
  • Green Level
  • Icon by Ziggyzoom
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 08:30:12 pm »
Thanks guys! With the help I've got here, and reviewing it with my teacher earlier today, I'm much more confident and I think I've got it figured out  :lol-fox:  Jethro and NightF0x, I'll be sure to contact you guys if I need additional help. Thanks!
Feel free to PM me or message me on Skype. I like to talk, and as long as I'm not busy I'm happy to chat anytime :lol-fox:

Offline Subzero

• JB17
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 71
    • FurAffinity - szsubzero01
    • Twitter - SubzeroCheetah
  • Fursona Species: Cheetah
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 10:57:57 pm »
Omg my photo haha. That should be 4x, NOT 4x^2 :P. Sorry, that's what happens when I'm up late. I'm glad you have it figured out though!

Offline Akio Leopard

• ^~^
  • Green Level
  • Icon by Ziggyzoom
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 11:13:38 pm »
Omg my photo haha. That should be 4x, NOT 4x^2 :P. Sorry, that's what happens when I'm up late. I'm glad you have it figured out though!
Haha :lol-fox: I did notice that. But yeah I'm fairly certain I've got this figured out now, thanks again! :3