Author Topic: "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky  (Read 278 times)

Offline furrylifeguard

• *blows whistle* Walk, dang it!
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 64
  • I live at the bottom of the pool I guard.
    • DeviantArt - thefurrylifeguard
    • FurAffinity - thefurrylifeguard
    • Twitter - furrylifeguard
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky
« on: February 05, 2014, 12:13:14 pm »
I read this last year and never bothered to review it because I was too busy fanboy-ing over Emma Watson in the movie. So I guess I'll post it in a review on here.

Rating: 5/5
Genre: bildungsroman
Author: Stephen Chbosky
Content rating: Mature
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a bildungsroman novel focusing on Charlie, a high school freshman with some problems. It's written in the form of letters from Charlie to an unknown "friend," whose identity is never revealed. Charlie describes his life in high school, from the first day of his freshman year to the last day of his freshman year. Throughout the novel, Charlie runs into typical teenage problems: depression, social anxiety, drugs and alcohol, girl trouble, and a gay best friend. That, and his own personal problems, which he describes as "getting bad" throughout the course of the novel.
The first-person narration of the novel gives it a very personal feel, and lets a reader see just what kind of things Charlie and his friends have to deal with in the hell that is high school. The characters in the novel are very dynamic, and you never know what's going to happen to them. New facets of their personalities are revealed at every turn. Each has their own distinctive personality, and almost all of the "typical high school stereotypes" are represented with a creative twist.
Overall, I'd recommend this book to any teenager. It's a very profound look into the world of a troubled teen, and the author doesn't sugar-coat things to the point that it loses the effect.

About the movie: Emma Watson. Enough said.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feel free to talk to me! I don't bite, although I probably smell like chlorine.