Author Topic: Which class should I choose?  (Read 1167 times)

Offline _Braz_

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 13
  • 2 rules to live by: Love anime and Stay Furry ;p
    • DeviantArt - Duvall1997
    • FurAffinity - Braz
  • Fursona Species: Fox (yellow)
Which class should I choose?
« on: February 06, 2014, 11:13:16 pm »
The first semester in my school has just ended and I need to choose my science class for senior year, I haven't taken physics yet, but I want to be a marine biologist, so it doesn't pertain to me as much as taking AP biology would, which class would appeal more to colleges? A more specialized student (biology) or an all around student (physics)?
There’s no such thing as a painless lesson, they just don’t exist. Sacrifices are necessary; you can’t gain anything without losing something first. Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it, you’ll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle. Yeah… a heart made fullmetal. -Edward Elric, The Fullmetal Alchemist

Offline Scully

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 111
Re: Which class should I choose?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 01:15:48 am »
Have you researched what you need to learn for that job? It may recommend other subjects that will aid you in it. Also research the colleges. They can usually tell you what types of grades you need to get in. Maybe research colleges which teach marine biology or science as a speciality. Good luck anyway :)

Offline DakotaLandon

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 10
  • I love to cuddle!
  • Fursona Species: canine mix
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 02:52:31 am »
Oh, both sound so interesting! I took physics but I never took AP bio so I don't know much about it, but if you hate math, physics isn't the place to be. In physics, sometimes you have to do some math and stuff to find out how far away a ball will land if you through it at a certain angle with a certain ammoung of force, but you also learn some really cool relevant stuff like how light and sound works... how 3D glasses work, how resonance works and how you can use it to knock down a balcony using only sound... or how to make things go invisible in liquid because of the way the two things refract light. And rainbows! You get to learn about rainbows and pretty stuff.
DΩL

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 273
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 06:24:25 am »
From what i know, it wont matter, at least if im thinking of the majority of universities in canada and the us. Since they are both sciences, they uni will look at it as a science mark.

HOWEVER, Because you want to do marine biology, you should take biology as you will be able to skip the 100 level course, which is essentially the last year of class (this is what i was told by my guidance counselor.
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 10:31:40 am »
I'm going to say AP Biology.  AP classes are more highly regarded when people are looking at you. They'll notice that you are interested in something and will strive to pursue it.  Physics is fun and all, but it really has nothing to do with biology. I have taken both and they are almost opposites of each other.

And you can take the AP test at the end of the year which if you do well on, will help you a lot.

Offline dracodex

• Hyper imploding ball of fluff
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 23
    • DeviantArt - ravenhaker
    • Twitter - @DexterDacian
  • Fursona Species: Draco
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 12:55:19 pm »
Coinsidering AP bio doesn't actually exist I'd take chem AP because chances are you will need to take it in post secondary and it is a pain in the ass like no other so it better to get it done quickly and easily.
Oooh I can put text in here :o *カタカタカタカタ*
Pixel art by Crevontz

Offline _Braz_

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 13
  • 2 rules to live by: Love anime and Stay Furry ;p
    • DeviantArt - Duvall1997
    • FurAffinity - Braz
  • Fursona Species: Fox (yellow)
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 04:34:17 pm »
Thank you al so much for your help!! I'll be sure to use all of your help!! :)
There’s no such thing as a painless lesson, they just don’t exist. Sacrifices are necessary; you can’t gain anything without losing something first. Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it, you’ll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle. Yeah… a heart made fullmetal. -Edward Elric, The Fullmetal Alchemist

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 273
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 07:03:08 pm »
Coinsidering AP bio doesn't actually exist I'd take chem AP because chances are you will need to take it in post secondary and it is a pain in the ass like no other so it better to get it done quickly and easily.

... WHAT...

At my school we have AP bio... There's also an AP exam for it...
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline dracodex

• Hyper imploding ball of fluff
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 23
    • DeviantArt - ravenhaker
    • Twitter - @DexterDacian
  • Fursona Species: Draco
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 01:32:27 pm »
Oops my bad, Ijust looked it up and yes it does exist, but it was only added recently. When I was in my senior year therewas only biology honors and no actual ap course because the amount of information that needed yo be covered was too much in the little time they had.
Oooh I can put text in here :o *カタカタカタカタ*
Pixel art by Crevontz

Offline Wolfgang Husky

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 11
    • FurAffinity - Gatsby_J_Husky
  • Fursona Species: Siberian Husky
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 08:49:54 pm »
I think AP Biology may help more. The this is there is a chance you may have to take physics in college so it doesn't hurt to have a general understanding of physics.