Author Topic: What are you proud to admit that you learned from games?  (Read 4487 times)

Offline End

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 406
What are you proud to admit that you learned from games?
« on: February 14, 2014, 01:12:38 am »
Hey everyone this was something that just popped up into my mind. what skills or knowledge have you learned from games? any video, board, role play, card games and so on?

me I'm proud to admit that I've learned and improved my "stealth" from playing Skyrim, while learned what cancels out what from pokemon (both card and video), Learned some History about the late Han period in ancient China from Dynasty Warriors but I'm not sure how entirely true all that is, to expect the unexpected from playing DnD, and finally how to take care of animals from playing Nintendogs.... CRAP!! BE RIGHT BACK!! hang in there Serious!

Offline EclipsetheWolf

• FT's resident geek!
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 19
  • Fursuit SOON!
  • Fursona Species: Main: wolf
Re: What are you proud to admit that you learned from games?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 01:30:50 am »
Oh I have tons but it's hard to keep track so I'll just list a few

- again how to be stealthy (I recently scared the bajesus out of my step-dad and he almost murdered me (probably gonna post that in funny stories tomorrow))
- how to look like a heroic BA while playing paintball/air soft
- how to hold a gun like a BA
- how to dance
- tons of words and vocabulary for spelling bee and English class
- how to play sports (even though I don't play them often)
- social skills games and usually game chat have taught me so much about how to make friends and that's the best way I am able to communicate with my friends from past schools.

FCWf3a A C- D+++ H+ M? P++ R T++ W- Z- Sm RLCT a- cn++++ d+ e- f+ h* i++ j p+ sm

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 02:14:08 am »
Remember way back in like 5th grade when I started  to first play Runescape. You kill cows, get cowhide, make it into leather, then make leather stuff.

Had like a field trip "Think Fest!" thing that was like a jeopardy and one question was "what animal does leather come from?"

Runescape also had taught me about a good deal of trees too. Was such a good game while it lasted.

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 301
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 02:16:54 am »
I can't list everything but I learned how to convert miles to kilometres and fixed numbers such as 30mph=50kmh and how to use gears efficiently.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline DakotaLandon

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 10
  • I love to cuddle!
  • Fursona Species: canine mix
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 04:11:17 am »
There was this game I had when I was really little called Mission THINK, in the game there was a screen with lots of floor levels and each had many doors. There were trampolines sometimes to hop to a higher level and sometimes there were holes in the ground to fall to a lower level, or you can swing across by finding magnets to attach to the ceiling above the hole which you grab to swing across. Once you got to a door, you had to play a game to unlock it. The games taught a lot of things, but I didn't realize it at the moment, until I got to highschool and college, when I realized the game had taught me Boolean algebra and engineering design. So, once you beat the minigame, you could go through the door and it would take you to another screen with doors and stuff. Every once in a while you'd find a little present on the ground, and each one had a game piece. Once you collected enough game pieces, you could challenge the evil boss dude to this game that was like a chess board but with mountains and rivers and stuff. Each game piece you collect would move you forward so you can get to the other side, which is how you win. Some game pieces would move you forward, or to the side, or both. Other game pieces could get you across a river or mountain or ditch. If you had the right pieces, you'd be able to cross the board before the evil dude and win a flag back. Once you won all the flags, you won the game.
It was a super fun game, but it felt awesome when I realized I had learned something. It wasn't until I took Electronics and Engineering in high school, and Programming in college, that I realized how much I had learned from that game. It taught you how to think, how to use boolean logic, how to turn 3D objects around in your head to see the different views and projections, how to set up a series of steps to program something to get to the right spot... Now I'm an engineering major and I'm glad I had such a cool game as a young child to help prepare my brain to handle these sorts of things now that I'm an adult learning concepts that can be difficult at times. I mean, I was just a tiny kid, I was just having fun and I had no idea I was learning stuff I'd need in college. I didn't even know what engineering was!

Also, All The Right Type helped me learn to type. I used that at school, unlike the other game that I just did for fun at home. But All the Right Type really did help me learn to type well, starting young. I'm really glad I had computers as a child.
DΩL

Offline Strudle

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 5
  • hyper is the only word i need to describe my self
    • Twitter - strudle206
  • Fursona Species: doggoat
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 09:03:29 am »
I learned we shoulden't make games based off TV shows

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 273
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 09:26:43 am »
- how to use the economy to make profits. As well as paying attention to trends as to when you should sell something, when you should buy items, ect. (its less of the theory and mroe of the application of it)
- Efficiency, basically where does it take the least effort to grind up to gain levels, and that sort of thing. This also included figuring out what TIMES were the best for grinding

And as a side effect of gaming
- how to gather information from the smallest of sources... (lets just say i do thorough research on every online game i play...)
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline _Braz_

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 13
  • 2 rules to live by: Love anime and Stay Furry ;p
    • DeviantArt - Duvall1997
    • FurAffinity - Braz
  • Fursona Species: Fox (yellow)
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 09:55:10 am »
Jeez...i've learned so much from games I can barely recall all of them, but one of them is how I learned about gravity from the original Mario games (bouncing off objects and such)
There’s no such thing as a painless lesson, they just don’t exist. Sacrifices are necessary; you can’t gain anything without losing something first. Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it, you’ll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle. Yeah… a heart made fullmetal. -Edward Elric, The Fullmetal Alchemist

Offline TehBWFerret

• Will do ferret things for dream trip to Japan/UK/Anthrocon
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 17
  • Hug every fursuiter! :D
  • Fursona Species: Ferret
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 10:01:22 am »
How not to trust a stranger no matter how tempting their offer may be. (Paper Mario & The Thousand-Year Door. The first boss was low on health and promised to give me a stat-enhancing badge, but he stomped me to death when I said yes.)
Make the most out of your environment (Minecraft).
All I can think of at the moment...  :fox-:P:
It is what others know not about us that allows us to know ourselves.

Icon by Satellite!

Offline GrayWolf

• A lone wolf, but one with many friends.
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 38
  • Love is not life; love enhances life~Green Fairy
  • Fursona Species: Timber Wolf
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 10:08:08 am »
I learned how to kill people.  (Sarcasm) thanks COD!
I consider myself a lone wolf, but I don't mind a friend or two to talk with. I also happen to be a writer.

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." ~Ray Bradbury

Offline End

• Purple Level
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 12:55:38 pm »
There was this game I had when I was really little called Mission THINK, in the game there was a screen with lots of floor levels and each had many doors. There were trampolines sometimes to hop to a higher level and sometimes there were holes in the ground to fall to a lower level, or you can swing across by finding magnets to attach to the ceiling above the hole which you grab to swing across. Once you got to a door, you had to play a game to unlock it. The games taught a lot of things, but I didn't realize it at the moment, until I got to highschool and college, when I realized the game had taught me Boolean algebra and engineering design. So, once you beat the minigame, you could go through the door and it would take you to another screen with doors and stuff. Every once in a while you'd find a little present on the ground, and each one had a game piece. Once you collected enough game pieces, you could challenge the evil boss dude to this game that was like a chess board but with mountains and rivers and stuff. Each game piece you collect would move you forward so you can get to the other side, which is how you win. Some game pieces would move you forward, or to the side, or both. Other game pieces could get you across a river or mountain or ditch. If you had the right pieces, you'd be able to cross the board before the evil dude and win a flag back. Once you won all the flags, you won the game.
It was a super fun game, but it felt awesome when I realized I had learned something. It wasn't until I took Electronics and Engineering in high school, and Programming in college, that I realized how much I had learned from that game. It taught you how to think, how to use boolean logic, how to turn 3D objects around in your head to see the different views and projections, how to set up a series of steps to program something to get to the right spot... Now I'm an engineering major and I'm glad I had such a cool game as a young child to help prepare my brain to handle these sorts of things now that I'm an adult learning concepts that can be difficult at times. I mean, I was just a tiny kid, I was just having fun and I had no idea I was learning stuff I'd need in college. I didn't even know what engineering was!

Also, All The Right Type helped me learn to type. I used that at school, unlike the other game that I just did for fun at home. But All the Right Type really did help me learn to type well, starting young. I'm really glad I had computers as a child.
That game sounds amazingly awesome! I love brain games like that, You don't by any chance remember what it was called do you?

Offline Akio Leopard

• ^~^
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 63
  • Icon by Ziggyzoom
    • DeviantArt - AkioLeopard
    • FurAffinity - AkioLeopard
  • Fursona Species: Snow Leopard
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 03:37:04 pm »
I'd say I've definitely learned how to be a better problem solver from games. I've played plenty of games that can require multiple attempts and strategies to accomplish a goal. The two that come to mind are Portal and the Spyro games.

I've also learned money management. Games in which you earn money and then spend it on upgrades or new items have taught me how to save up money for the things I really want as opposed to spending it on things I kinda want. The Gran Turismo series is my best example of this. I always save up my money for better cars instead of continually spending it on ok cars.

Finally, I've learned to avoid getting mad, and instead keep a calm head and think about my situation. There's always that one level that you just can't get, and by making myself stay calm and think about it, I'm able to succeed.

So yeah, those are all things games have taught me, and I'm very happy I've learned all of these. I can say that they have all helped with my life.
Feel free to PM me or message me on Skype. I like to talk, and as long as I'm not busy I'm happy to chat anytime :lol-fox:
(But I'm kind of awkward so you'll have to message me first)

~I don't even know what I was gonna put here~

Offline Jaze

• Furry forever.
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 20
  • The car is just an extension of the pilot.
    • FurAffinity - Nightfury84
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 04:25:11 pm »
I have improved my piloting skills a lot, playing thousands of simulation. I also learned to think a little bit faster with FPSs, it really helps being tactic.
Lupus sano in corpore sano.
Xbox live: Jaze Wolfcraig
I really love talking! Add me if you want.

Offline Count Faithfull

• Just a cute Tiger
  • Cookies: 332
  • Sushi is mana from Heaven.
  • Fursona Species: Vamperic Tiger
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 04:31:01 pm »
I have improved my piloting skills a lot, playing thousands of simulation. I also learned to think a little bit faster with FPSs, it really helps being tactic.
Same with me, they also fuiled my intrest in swordplay and got me into that.....i've also got a lot of information on many fish and being stelthy.
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
▬▬▬▬▬▬⌘ஜ۩۞۩ஜ⌘▬▬▬▬▬▬
Chaotic Good ⧱ Bard/cleric ⧱ Faithfull's admirers'ENFJ ⧱ Hufflepuff ⧱ Pisces/Earth Tiger
▬▬▬▬⤪۩۞۩⤭▬▬▬▬
Icon by Serana <3
⥿

Offline Maximumcool2

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 20
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 01:35:14 am »
If you murder someone, you should try your best to make it look like someone else did it.

Offline DakotaLandon

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 10
  • I love to cuddle!
  • Fursona Species: canine mix
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 01:43:29 am »
That game sounds amazingly awesome! I love brain games like that, You don't by any chance remember what it was called do you?

Yeah, Mission T.H.I.N.K. (Thinking Hard Inspires New Knowledge).
Its kinda cool how it had stuff that helps you understand concepts in programming and engineering because usually educational games for little kids are just stuff like ABC 123 sort of thing.
DΩL

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 213
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 07:11:34 am »
Two years ago I learnt that Cricket didn't have to be an all-male sport when I received claps for hitting a 6 and going on to reach a Century. Yay for Girl Power! I played at Arundel.  :lol:

Offline End

• Purple Level
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 11:45:06 am »
Two years ago I learnt that Cricket didn't have to be an all-male sport when I received claps for hitting a 6 and going on to reach a Century. Yay for Girl Power! I played at Arundel.  :lol:
Nothing has to. be a or is a "sport for guys" we just have to be determined enough to prove them wrong.

Offline Lucius.

• Friend please...
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 187
  • Fursona Species: Wolfdog
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 11:52:41 am »
I can't say I've learned much from video games. Shooting an actual gun is nothing like shooting one in CS:GO, for example. You can't really learn much from it. At least in my experience. & most RPGs are fantasy-based so there's no much useful knowledge to attain there either.

I guess I've learned about different vehicles playing NFS. Never driven a real car though so I can't say if I'm any more skilled at driving.
Icon by Nagi. :rose:

Offline Paz

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 81
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 12:24:23 pm »
Anyone who has played MGS and has has master tell them how not to make noise on the platform using a technique he calls "stalking". It actually works. Also LA Noire taught me how to spot liars better and I know my way around downtown way better.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
You ever wonder why we're here?