Author Topic: Your Opinion on Horror?  (Read 1348 times)

Online Ecilam Nellus

• Green Level
  • Candies: 41
  • Fursona Species: Arctic fox
Your Opinion on Horror?
« on: February 28, 2014, 06:35:10 pm »
Iv been meaning to make a thread like this for a while, but never got around to it.
So? What is all of your opinions on the genre of Horror? (Games, Movies, TV, etc)

I want to know the good AND the bad! And I will the blow your mind..

Because I am a self proclaimed Horror genius and have many lessons to teach about the genre!

Offline Scully

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 111
Re: Your Opinion on Horror?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 06:45:16 pm »
In the area of games I feel a true horror has to be unique. Not just cheap jump scares. For horror in games to work you charicter must feel vunerable. If you can just wade through the monsters with no trouble you lose the fear. Take Dead Space for example. You've got the creepy atmosphere, dark rooms and Erie noises. You charicter can fight back but he isn't invulnerable. If you screw up you know you screwed up by getting slaughtered. Horror games can work very well when you can't fight back also. Like Amenisa. Hiding knowing if you make a single sound the monster will find you is terrifiying. On that note Alien Isolation looks quite creepy. (and anything can be better than colonial marines).

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 06:51:10 pm »
Horrow in all its media form won't 'blow my mind'. It will destroy it. Already I have experienced enough horror in my life without going anywhere near this media genre with a bargepole. Alright for the rest of you - just not for me. :|

Offline michael the wolf

• Green Level
  • Candies: 27
  • GAY FURRY FOREVER!
  • Fursona Species: eastern timber wolf
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 07:04:59 pm »
this music video is just gruesome and kinda horrifying, yes it has furries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXcIoG68XZg

Online Ecilam Nellus

• Green Level
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 07:09:47 pm »
In the area of games I feel a true horror has to be unique. Not just cheap jump scares. For horror in games to work you charicter must feel vunerable. If you can just wade through the monsters with no trouble you lose the fear. Take Dead Space for example. You've got the creepy atmosphere, dark rooms and Erie noises. You charicter can fight back but he isn't invulnerable. If you screw up you know you screwed up by getting slaughtered. Horror games can work very well when you can't fight back also. Like Amenisa. Hiding knowing if you make a single sound the monster will find you is terrifiying. On that note Alien Isolation looks quite creepy. (and anything can be better than colonial marines).

Very well put!
Another thing that is good for a fear response...
Is atmosphere..
Atmosphere is one of the most important parts of a Horror game also, that's why in my Aliens Colonial Marines wasn't so great... (Oh. That and Bad Graphics, Clunky gameplay, and terrible story.) But what in my opinion they could have done right with the game... Was atmosphere. Hell! Have your motion tracker on all the time, and make the Xenomorph's so powerful that when you hear the little ping of it, you pretty much fudge yourself there!
Don't even get me started on environmental atmosphere...

Offline michael the wolf

• Green Level
  • GAY FURRY FOREVER!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 07:17:12 pm »
true. you do have a point there. horror is complicated and requires you to actually FEEL scared for it to work. but did you guys watch that video yet? a lot of blood and gore in that for a music video.

Offline Teapot

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 139
  • I'm full of coffee
  • Fursona Species: Catahoula Leopard Dog
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 07:29:24 pm »
For me, I don't tend to go for "Horror" because nowadays horror typically means either slasher films with tons of gore, which doesn't bother me but just gets to the point of sheer repetitive ridiculousness, or jump-scare style poltergeist/haunted house movies which I happily admit the content of terrifies the hell out of me. You can't even get me to watch the adverts most of the time.
I prefer psychological thrillers.
-inspirational quote-

(Avatar by Shia)

Offline michael the wolf

• Green Level
  • GAY FURRY FOREVER!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 07:34:09 pm »
DID ANYONE EVEN THINK ABOUT LOOKING AT THE LINK I POSTED?! COME ON! DONT YOU GUYS EVEN CARE ABOUT MY OPINIONS?! I THOUGHT THIS WAS AMERICA! I MUST BE IN THE WRONG COUNTRY!

Offline Scully

• Blue Level
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 07:35:01 pm »

Very well put!
Another thing that is good for a fear response...
Is atmosphere..
Atmosphere is one of the most important parts of a Horror game also, that's why in my Aliens Colonial Marines wasn't so great... (Oh. That and Bad Graphics, Clunky gameplay, and terrible story.) But what in my opinion they could have done right with the game... Was atmosphere. Hell! Have your motion tracker on all the time, and make the Xenomorph's so powerful that when you hear the little ping of it, you pretty much fudge yourself there!
Don't even get me started on environmental atmosphere...
Good point about the motion tracker from aliens. I forgot about that. It's beepings scary as hell cause you know it's coming you just can't see it. On the subject of aliens have you played AvP 3? Playing as the marine on that was quite scary for me. Also playing as the alien was pretty epic.

Offline michael the wolf

• Green Level
  • GAY FURRY FOREVER!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 07:38:16 pm »
You said "horror" so I posted that link. It's got everything! Blood, gore, guts, death, mutilation, furries, etc, what more could you want?!

Offline Teapot

• Purple Level
  • I'm full of coffee
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 07:43:30 pm »
You said "horror" so I posted that link. It's got everything! Blood, gore, guts, death, mutilation, furries, etc, what more could you want?!
I will admit that what you just said put me off...
-inspirational quote-

(Avatar by Shia)

Offline michael the wolf

• Green Level
  • GAY FURRY FOREVER!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 07:46:07 pm »
how? it's horror at it's best. almost made me throw up looking at it. And that made you not want to watch it? the one guys eyeballs are hanging out of their sockets for fears sake! I will admit its not for the faint of heart, and it may give you nightmares...

Online Ecilam Nellus

• Green Level
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 07:49:37 pm »
true. you do have a point there. horror is complicated and requires you to actually FEEL scared for it to work. but did you guys watch that video yet? a lot of blood and gore in that for a music video.

Being scared and horrified are actually two separate feelings... Similar but different. The best way I can describe it is, scared is an uneasy uncomfortable feeling. Its there to tell you to be cautious, and weary of your surroundings for danger.
Horror is the feeling of intense discomfort, to the point of your body freezing up. The literal definition would be if someone broke there leg... Badly, like snapped it at the femur. People around them will freeze up, not knowing what to do and collapse in terror. Its more or less a feeling of helplessness and that something bad will happen to you soon.

Also... I resent the thought that all horror needs intense gore and violence to be scary... I find extreme violence and gore to be distasteful and more comedic then scary. That's not horror, that's disgust. A little ironic considering my favourite movie is John Carpenters The Thing...

Though there is something to be said for body horror... But that is a topic for another time..

Okay... Wrong country? I'm sorry, I didn't think this was an all American site? So us Canadians don't listen to other peoples opinions.

Offline michael the wolf

• Green Level
  • GAY FURRY FOREVER!
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 07:52:47 pm »
your Canadian? o...k I'm cool with that. but whatever this video will still scare the crap out of you. also is it ok if I PM you? I want to know more about Canada, and whatever this body horror thing is... they both seem like interesting topics.

Offline Scully

• Blue Level
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 07:55:19 pm »
DID ANYONE EVEN THINK ABOUT LOOKING AT THE LINK I POSTED?! COME ON! DONT YOU GUYS EVEN CARE ABOUT MY OPINIONS?! I THOUGHT THIS WAS AMERICA! I MUST BE IN THE WRONG COUNTRY!
Your opinions are fine. Just can't be bothered watching a random gore video now. FYI I'm British not American :lol-fox:

Offline Teapot

• Purple Level
  • I'm full of coffee
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 07:57:13 pm »
This might seem a little controversial as the reviews it got were mixed but here it goes:
The Woman in Black. Yeah, what that Harry Potter bloke that everyone seems to have forgotten about (Don't worry Radcliffe I still remember you!) decided to move onto. Personally I would class it as a horror but - miniscule gore (There is one mild scene as far as I can remember) and (even though she is a ghost) nothing to do with the occult or demons possesing people and all tbe rest of the cliches. It remaims however in my books as probably the best horror film ever made.
-inspirational quote-

(Avatar by Shia)

Offline michael the wolf

• Green Level
  • GAY FURRY FOREVER!
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 07:57:44 pm »
why are there so many furs from the UK and Canada, but not as many that I'm aware of American furs? also holt for respecting my opinion...*gives you a cookie* thanks.

Online Ecilam Nellus

• Green Level
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 08:03:34 pm »
your Canadian? o...k I'm cool with that. but whatever this video will still scare the crap out of you. also is it ok if I PM you? I want to know more about Canada, and whatever this body horror thing is... they both seem like interesting topics.

I aint stopping ya..
And yes.. I did watch it, I just didn't bring it up because it wasn't horror. It was just gore. Not exactly scary. Heck!! It isn't even that cringe worthy..

And Body horror is a complicated subject, its basically when gore and violence is used properly in horror. It deals with the "Uncanny Valley" Which if you know what that is, cool! If not... Its a graph that shows that the more human an object looks, the more we like it! But at some point it drops down, to the point that where we see it, it creeps us out and even scares us! (I'm kind of butchering it, so I would recommend looking it up! Its really interesting!) But that's what body horror does! It plays on the whole "That's not what a human is supposed to look like!"
Its hard to describe... Look up John Carpenters The Thing... Its a great movie! And does body horror well.. And Psychological horror!
Which Aika.. I gotta say this, I did enjoy good old Danny Radcliffe in that! Its actually in my collection of good horror! I just love how absolutely.... Subtle it is with its horror! And it doesn't even rely that heavily on Jump scares! (I don't remember any in it! though my memory is poor...)

Offline Scully

• Blue Level
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 08:11:31 pm »
I agree with what Ecilam said about discomfort and what Aika said about minuscule gore and subtlety. Any film can create a blood and gore fest but that don't nessarly mean its scarry. Subtlety can be more horrifying. Also playing into people's fears and discomforts e.g. Spiders, the dark, the occult ect. An example of this is my discomfort which Ecilam mentioned. Broken bones. I can handle people being cut apart by chainsaws but broken bones just make me cringe and feel uncomfortable. Especially when it pops through the skin. Eww.

Oh and Micheal people from this forum are from all over. There is still a lot of American furs though.

Offline michael the wolf

• Green Level
  • GAY FURRY FOREVER!
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 08:17:45 pm »
yeah, I see your point now. gore is just blood and guts, like a slasher film. which is not horror. just gore. and no I haven't seen either of those movies. I'm not much into horror. so my view on the subject is very limited and a bit jaded. I'm not afraid to admit what I don't know. but I am willing to learn. actually that's another good thing about me. And also the way you described body horror to me it sounds like that time I was on the bus coming home and I saw a black human like figure, but when we passed it, it was just a mailbox with some buckets behind it. the distance I guess created an illusion that made me think I saw a person but when I got closer it was just everyday objects that coincidentally looked like a man the way the objects were arranged. am I kinda close... even a little?