Author Topic: Tips on concentrating to study?  (Read 959 times)

Offline GrayWolf

• A lone wolf, but one with many friends.
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 35
  • Love is not life; love enhances life~Green Fairy
  • Fursona Species: Timber Wolf
Tips on concentrating to study?
« on: March 04, 2014, 11:16:21 am »
Title says it all. I'm having trouble concentrating to study and I need advice. Any?
I consider myself a lone wolf, but I don't mind a friend or two to talk with. I also happen to be a writer.

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." ~Ray Bradbury

Offline furrylifeguard

• *blows whistle* Walk, dang it!
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 64
  • I live at the bottom of the pool I guard.
    • DeviantArt - thefurrylifeguard
    • FurAffinity - thefurrylifeguard
    • Twitter - furrylifeguard
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Re: Tips on concentrating to study?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 11:25:16 am »
I have an issue with this as well. You could try studying with a friend who you know will keep you on topic. There's  a girl that I talk to in English class and we talk about the pieces we're reading. That way you've got someone to talk to, but you can keep the talk somewhat relevant to the topic at hand. Another option is to take frequent breaks. Study for 15 minutes, take a 5 minute break, and then go back to studying. That way you don't overwhelm yourself all at one time. But do something on your break. Look at a book, get up and move around a bit, get something to eat, just something to wake up a bit. I'll typically have music playing in the background as well, or be listening to an art stream if there's one on. Again, just something to be doing besides studying.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feel free to talk to me! I don't bite, although I probably smell like chlorine.

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 11:59:36 am »
Get pumped. Over-hype studying for no reason. And use a ton of note-cards.

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 01:13:06 pm »
If you are studying using textbooks only, switch off your flipping computer; it's otherwise a needless distraction, especially if you're a news/email junkie like me.  :lol-fox:

Furrylifeguard's suggestion of your studying with a friend is a goodun. However, if you're studying alone at night, I found listening to some gentle classic music a great help.

Offline taliruq

• all guts, no glory
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 12
  • ♡ bunny princess ♡
    • DeviantArt - taliruq
    • FurAffinity - taliruq
    • my tumblr!
  • Fursona Species: lop bunny alt: mutt
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 05:44:40 pm »
taking breaks every 15 minutes helps me a lot too! i usually spend about 5 minutes stretching or just generally jumping/dancing.  :fox-:P:
its also really good to keep yourself hydrated while studying - water or juice is best! hahaha i go through a 2 litre carton of orange juice every couple days when i'm studying for finals.

Offline CGFan

• Red Level
  • Candies: 6
  • Oh please, this is getting akward :v
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 04:27:58 pm »
i have the same problem :v
I like to study alone, i don't like to study with other people (and it's not productive with me)
I need my computor turend on, because my teachers send a lot of exercises and works via email
When i study, i get soooo bored, and i wonder if i should listen to music or not, idk :v
"My feet are so sweaty...or these socks were a bad choice"

Offline Timo

• Yesh? Do you realize you just wasted 3 seconds reading this?
  • Orange Level
  • Nothing to say, oh wait I did just say something:D
    • DeviantArt - Timocool
    • Twitter - TimOOownsyou
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 09:02:09 am »
If your studying doesn't depend on internet material or internet assignments, switch the god damned thing off!!! I'm a youtube/news websites and just general net exploration junkie, so I when I study paper material, I switch my pc off, otherwise I tend to go and check youtube for 5 minutes, only to internally scream at myself an hour later that I got distracted.  And of course you mobile phone, turn it to silent and switch off mobile data so that you aren't constantly browsing twitter, facebook and whatsapp.

Also, like people said, studying with a couple of mates can be very good as you can ask each other questions and keep on the topic.

Another thing you can try looking for a particular place where you feel encouraged to study.
 Me and my buddies were quite lazy until the recent few years, and last year, when we were supposed to take my O levels, we finally found a good place to study, which was actually the public library. It's quiet there, no distractions, tons of reference material, and of course, everybody else is studying too!!! So I felt as a part of an elite study junkie clique while I was there  :lol: which actually encouraged me to study.  Here's some photos of the place in case you wonder why coming to a particular place can encourage you to study
(yes, the entire building is the library, so you can only imagine how much reference you can find there)

In summary:
1: minimize distractions (TV, turn your phone into silent mode and turn off your mobile data, switch off your computer unless necessary)
2: decide if you like to study alone or with friends
3: find a good place where you will feel good studying (it can be anything, ranging from a library to a coffee shop or even inside a park)
What is a committee? A group of the unwilling, picked from the unfit, to do the unnecessary.
-Mark Twain-

Offline Cookie-N

• lennyface.psd
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 59
  • furries trigger me
    • DeviantArt - cookie-n
    • FurAffinity - cookiethebluecat
    • Twitter - nicholas_cookie
    • Tumblr / Art Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 09:11:50 am »
If your studying doesn't depend on internet material or internet assignments, switch the god damned thing off!!! I'm a youtube/news websites and just general net exploration junkie, so I when I study paper material, I switch my pc off, otherwise I tend to go and check youtube for 5 minutes, only to internally scream at myself an hour later that I got distracted.  And of course you mobile phone, turn it to silent and switch off mobile data so that you aren't constantly browsing twitter, facebook and whatsapp.

Also, like people said, studying with a couple of mates can be very good as you can ask each other questions and keep on the topic.

Another thing you can try looking for a particular place where you feel encouraged to study.
 Me and my buddies were quite lazy until the recent few years, and last year, when we were supposed to take my O levels, we finally found a good place to study, which was actually the public library. It's quiet there, no distractions, tons of reference material, and of course, everybody else is studying too!!! So I felt as a part of an elite study junkie clique while I was there  :lol: which actually encouraged me to study.  Here's some photos of the place in case you wonder why coming to a particular place can encourage you to study
(yes, the entire building is the library, so you can only imagine how much reference you can find there)

In summary:
1: minimize distractions (TV, turn your phone into silent mode and turn off your mobile data, switch off your computer unless necessary)
2: decide if you like to study alone or with friends
3: find a good place where you will feel good studying (it can be anything, ranging from a library to a coffee shop or even inside a park)

Quite the point there, but as a fellow Singaporean I have to say that libraries aren't supposed to be your first choice to go for studying as it is really crowded with like-minded muggers. Studying at school is still better. I tend to stay back after school to study in class as everybody does that and you are guaranteed to get a seat --- well, your seat.
KEK

Offline Quin

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 10
  • Fursona Species: blue-white Husky
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 09:15:41 am »
Okay, this may sound weird now, but I am really deep into the ASMR community.
For studying and learned I used many youtube videos for relaxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbpwEScCgEg

THIS helped me so much.
The white noise background while reading history sources, writing essays and stuff is really really helpful for me.
Try it out
On scope!
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Fire!

Offline Timo

• Yesh? Do you realize you just wasted 3 seconds reading this?
  • Orange Level
  • Nothing to say, oh wait I did just say something:D
    • DeviantArt - Timocool
    • Twitter - TimOOownsyou
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 09:20:15 am »
I'll certainly try it out tomorrow while doing some physics, as now that my exams are over and I am waiting for new school to start, I am trying to encourage myself to study but I just can't find the motivation again. I'll see how it goes tomorrow, thanks dude :D
What is a committee? A group of the unwilling, picked from the unfit, to do the unnecessary.
-Mark Twain-