Author Topic: Excellent Plugable USB Powered Adapter  (Read 432 times)

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
Excellent Plugable USB Powered Adapter
« on: March 06, 2014, 09:11:48 am »
It's not often I find something that really does what it says on the tin.

Plugable USB 2.0 10-port Hub

Excellent - a useable USB hub powered from the mains via an adapter! Virtually no performance lag between using this and a USB port directly. I use it for charger cables, alternate  printer, easily accessing memory sticks, a couple of external HDDs and, most importantly, a 3D motion controller for my business. This is the first hub I've come accross that I can plug my SpacePilot Pro into and actually use without any noticeable lag. I run a 64 bit Laptop Windows 7 and the Hub was recognised immediately. It has a cool blue light when connected,a piano black finish and all in all I'm very pleased with my purchase, and it comes with a sensibly long USB cable too. Available from Amazon UK and Amazon-USA as a USB 3.0   :D

Construction is a bit plasticky, and the plastics used could be better. It seems to attract dust like a magnet. Oh, and the rubber feet could be a little larger to prevent the thing sliding about on polished surfaces. That's about the only constructive criticism I can offer prospective purchasers though. For the price however, make up your own mind. As stated above, the performance makes this worth the price, regardless. If your set up requires a fair degree of bandwidth, you need reliably quick data transfer or just hate waiting around, this is the piece of kit for you.

Materials aside, the unit feels robust and is well finished. Each socket allows for smooth usage and appear to be firmly seated. There's a decent ammount of space between each socket too (8.5mm), so using larger memory sticks side by side (I use Sandisk Titaniums) without interferance is no problem. Looks are subjective but, for what it's worth, I think it has a cool, minimalist look about it. And it has a pretty blue light on top if that's your thing.

In conclusion; this really does the job, appears durable and, though not cheap, represents good value for money considering the performance on offer. I bought mine from Amazon UK on offer for just £25.

USB 2.0 high-speed interface. 10 downstream ports with data rates up to 480Mbps
2.5A Power Adapter. Terminus Technology Chipset. Overcurrent detection and protection
Brand: Plugable Technologies

All in all, a lovely piece of kit!   :D

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:15:50 am by Spiderpig »

Offline Cookie-N

• lennyface.psd
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 59
  • furries trigger me
    • DeviantArt - cookie-n
    • FurAffinity - cookiethebluecat
    • Twitter - nicholas_cookie
    • Tumblr / Art Blog
Re: Excellent Plugable USB Powered Adapter
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 09:25:15 am »
Looks really too much of an overkill of a pricing for this.

But considering the USB 3.0 support, I am actually interested in this.
KEK

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:28:49 am »
It's not 'overkill' at all, not for the wonderful things I'm using on it, compared to the problems I had. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 299
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 09:29:41 am »
I think I saw this on a review on USB hubs in the past. It was one of the highest rated.

Now, if only I used all the USB ports on my computer as it is...
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 09:32:27 am »
Yes, if only computer manufacturers, particularly of netbooks and laptops would provide more usb sockets. If only.  :lol:

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 299
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 09:34:16 am »
Yes, if only computer manufacturers, particularly of netbooks and laptops would provide more usb sockets. If only.  :lol:
Yeah, what must they be thinking?
"OK, lets create a laptop with 3 USB ports. That'll be enough for all of someone's peripherals won't it?"
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 09:42:49 am »
Yeah, what must they be thinking?
"OK, lets create a laptop with 3 USB ports. That'll be enough for all of someone's peripherals won't it?"

:lol: yeah, can just see those boneheads doing that!