Author Topic: Red Devil by Kyell Gold  (Read 582 times)

Offline GrayWolf

• A lone wolf, but one with many friends.
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 35
  • Love is not life; love enhances life~Green Fairy
  • Fursona Species: Timber Wolf
Red Devil by Kyell Gold
« on: March 07, 2014, 01:07:56 pm »
So I just got done finishing the second book in the Dangerous Spirits series by famed furry author Kyell Gold, and you wanna know what I think of it?

It's superior to the last book; not only is this novel as good as Green Fairy, but it really surpasses it. In this book we follow Alexei Tsarev a month after the events of Green Fairy, and we find out he has a sister named back home named Cat, who's at the hands of their abusive parents. After meeting the ghost f a Siberian soldier, Alexei is given a choice: if he gives up his gay lifestyle, the ghost can save Cat.

How do I start with this?

First off, I gotta say that I honestly had no idea where it was gonna go. I didn't know if I'd end on a sad or happy note, so props to Gold for that! :fox-:):

Alexei is a fantastic character. His dilemma is beautifully written, and you really feel sorry for him, and want to see him happy in the end. The ghost is also great. He has a fantastic backstory and is actually relatable. Red Devil also does an extremely great job describing what it's like in Russia, and how harsh it is. It's kinda scary.

Overall, I have no complaints with this book at all; it's one of those perfect books. The writing is great, the drama is great, the pacing is great, the characters are fantastic; I had a lot of fun reading it and I hope the series prospers!

15/10 in my book! :fox-:):
I consider myself a lone wolf, but I don't mind a friend or two to talk with. I also happen to be a writer.

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." ~Ray Bradbury

Offline furrylifeguard

• *blows whistle* Walk, dang it!
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 64
  • I live at the bottom of the pool I guard.
    • DeviantArt - thefurrylifeguard
    • FurAffinity - thefurrylifeguard
    • Twitter - furrylifeguard
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Re: Red Devil by Kyell Gold
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 11:31:47 am »
I love Kyell and all but I kind of wanted to hate him during this book. I really didn't like the way Alexei's personality changed, even though he was doing it for his sister and he didn't really have much control of it. And I almost started crying in the middle of class at the end, reading Cat's last letter to Alexei. It was a good book, but I personally wanted to go crawl in a hole and bawl my eyes out.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feel free to talk to me! I don't bite, although I probably smell like chlorine.

Offline GrayWolf

• Green Level
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 11:54:49 am »
I love Kyell and all but I kind of wanted to hate him during this book. I really didn't like the way Alexei's personality changed, even though he was doing it for his sister and he didn't really have much control of it. And I almost started crying in the middle of class at the end, reading Cat's last letter to Alexei. It was a good book, but I personally wanted to go crawl in a hole and bawl my eyes out.

How did you hate how Alexei's personality changed? We barely knew that much about his thoughts and personality in Green Fairy
I consider myself a lone wolf, but I don't mind a friend or two to talk with. I also happen to be a writer.

Offline furrylifeguard

• *blows whistle* Walk, dang it!
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 64
  • I live at the bottom of the pool I guard.
    • DeviantArt - thefurrylifeguard
    • FurAffinity - thefurrylifeguard
    • Twitter - furrylifeguard
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 06:35:18 pm »
But from what we saw of him he was quite and shy, not aggressive and desperate. Now while the desperation might have been masked in Green Fairy, it was still hidden. And in the start of Red Devil, Alexei wasn't aggressive, just in need of some way to help his sister. It was Konstantin who influenced his aggressiveness, but I didn't really like it.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feel free to talk to me! I don't bite, although I probably smell like chlorine.

Offline GrayWolf

• Green Level
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 06:51:46 pm »
But from what we saw of him he was quite and shy, not aggressive and desperate. Now while the desperation might have been masked in Green Fairy, it was still hidden. And in the start of Red Devil, Alexei wasn't aggressive, just in need of some way to help his sister. It was Konstantin who influenced his aggressiveness

Now I'll admit that is true.