Author Topic: Resumes...  (Read 819 times)

Offline Placeholder

• Beep
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 109
  • Boop
Resumes...
« on: March 10, 2014, 07:13:16 am »
So... my school decided it was a good idea to give use financial studies... I've been fine with it so far until... WE NEED TO WRITE A FREAKING RESUME.. Frankly speaking, I need help with what I should put in.

Offline furrylifeguard

• *blows whistle* Walk, dang it!
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 64
  • I live at the bottom of the pool I guard.
    • DeviantArt - thefurrylifeguard
    • FurAffinity - thefurrylifeguard
    • Twitter - furrylifeguard
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Re: Resumes...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 10:50:21 am »
I can help with that. I had to fill out a resume for my job, so I'll find some way to share it on here (blanking out personal info).
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feel free to talk to me! I don't bite, although I probably smell like chlorine.

Offline Placeholder

• Beep
  • Blue Level
  • Boop
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 10:57:09 am »
Sure! a form should work, actually, it'll be more like a life-saver. Seriously though. how is a 15 year old supposed to do a resume without any job experience >.<

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 11:19:23 am »
I recently had to write a resume for a couple jobs; my first time.

There are A TON of online resources to help you do this. seriously it can't get any easier than this: http://www.livecareer.com/resume-builder
Additionally, Microsoft Word has plenty of templates that are already set up for you. They will just have "enter a personal achievement here"  "enter a job history here"

You need to sell yourself. Seriously. But make sure not to lie. (It's actually illegal to lie on a resume). But you can just make everything you have done sound like an amazing achievement.

"I did 5 hours of volunteering at the animal shelter"
"I spent 5 hours of my own time one weekend to help take care for young animals, doing X and Y to help them."

It may be early in your life, but having a basic resume is always very good.

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 273
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 11:36:54 am »
So i just literally had a unit on resumes and cover letters in my class by someone who worked in hiring, and considering i had to write one or two before, here are some tips i can give

- when using bullet points don't use dashes like i am doing here, use actual dots
- put the most important information of a point at the left. For example if you want to say you worked at a grocery store from 2010 to 2011 say it like "worked at grocery store   2010 - 2011" not
  "2010-2011, worked at grocery store"
- use active verbs
- make it look appealing, if a resume is not appealing, the reader wont want to read it
- use bold/underline/italics well, make sure headings are clear
- make sure its not a general resume, tailor you resume for the specific purpose.
- put the most recent/relevant information at the top of each section and the least important at the bottom of the resume
- include contact information as well as your education
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline Placeholder

• Beep
  • Blue Level
  • Boop
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 11:48:35 am »
Thanks for the tips guys!

Well... One day to research and one day to do... Wish me luck I guess

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 273
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 11:50:50 am »
Thanks for the tips guys!

Well... One day to research and one day to do... Wish me luck I guess

May is this just for a general one or for a specific position (or specific industry)?
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline Placeholder

• Beep
  • Blue Level
  • Boop
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 11:54:53 am »
Let me paraphrase my financial teacher's words. "On Wednesday I would like you to submit a resume (which is typed out by yourself) for a training interview with Mr *insert name here* and Mrs *Insert name here* "

Basically... Nothing specific

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 11:55:22 am »
I'd also assume that since you are so young you do not have much to put on.  You can do like small achievements. Like winning first place in the science fair.  Or making the highest score on a standardized test.

Also (if you do know how), say you know how to use Microsoft Office. There are a lot of people that actually DON'T know how to use it. And saying you do can be nice.

Offline Placeholder

• Beep
  • Blue Level
  • Boop
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 12:00:14 pm »
Also (if you do know how), say you know how to use Microsoft Office. There are a lot of people that actually DON'T know how to use it. And saying you do can be nice.

Gonna be really honest here. I did not expect that. I guess studying in an international school pays off cause most of the assignments given are being typed, meaning we use it almost 24/7

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 12:02:35 pm »
Yeah. I've had teachers not know how to use the spellcheck function in Microsoft Word (F7)   or like, how to add graphics to slides in PowerPoint or something.   And don't get me started on all the code that can be used in Excel.

But yeah. Knowing how to use Office is pretty neat.

Best of luck to you.

Offline furrylifeguard

• *blows whistle* Walk, dang it!
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 64
  • I live at the bottom of the pool I guard.
    • DeviantArt - thefurrylifeguard
    • FurAffinity - thefurrylifeguard
    • Twitter - furrylifeguard
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 12:18:40 pm »
Here's a link to my lifeguard resume. {LINK} That's all the basics you'd need to include, and a basic format guide.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feel free to talk to me! I don't bite, although I probably smell like chlorine.

Offline taliruq

• all guts, no glory
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 12
  • ♡ bunny princess ♡
    • DeviantArt - taliruq
    • FurAffinity - taliruq
    • my tumblr!
  • Fursona Species: lop bunny alt: mutt
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 10:05:00 pm »
another really good thing to do is to put down all the volunteer work you've done! also yes, put down any awards you've gotten, any extracurricular activities you've been in, any piano lessons you took, etc. As well, you can list some personal qualities of yourself (like "creative", "works well with children", "positive" etc)! Don't hold back, resumés are where you seriously want to brag and sell yourself, and make you seem like the best possible option for a job!

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 09:06:27 pm »
MessedThoughts has given you a good start with his suggestions.  :)

Somewhere on the forum though, Mum and I wrote some writing tips we'd prepared. If you already have a CV typed up for a prospective employer, use some of these suggestions  to help build your resume, or a covering letter, even.

When possible your CV should always be accompanied by a covering letter, which also is used to put your CV in context with the position or organisation, outlining how you relate to its values, ethos and aspirations. While your CV sets out the skills you have for the post, your covering letter more explicitly presents your motivation and adaptability.

Well, that's the theory.  :lol:

1. Briefly introduce yourself, state the post you are applying for and where you saw it advertised. For a speculative letter, specify the type of work you are looking for but ensure you type it in Times New Roman or Ariel, which remain popular because the font is easy to read.

2. In your covering letter explain why you are interested in this type of work.

3. But, your prospective employer could be different from the previous you applied to (maybe), so screw down into specifics and don't digress: for example, explain why you are interested in working for this particular employer. In your covering letter you must sound enthusiastic - and - give evidence of research into such aspects as their successes, involvements, values or clients.

4. Highlight what makes you suitable for this position. Provide evidence of your key strengths by referring to experience listed on your CV. Aim to show that your key strengths reflect their requirements.

5. Remember: If the role and organisation are creative, you should reflect this in your writing style. If the organisation is formal, you are more likely to be successful if you write a formal covering letter.

6. Since you will first be drafting out your covering letter, ensure there are no errors and spelling mistakes and that you have written the addressee’s name correctly. Always double-check for grammar, spelling mistakes - even check your draft a third time to ensure you have everything.

7. Finally.... Your letter should be typed on clean white A4 vellum (like Conquerer 90 gsm vellum or, white Three Candlesticks' vellum which is expensive but speaks volumes about you!). However, a nice touch in formal letters is to use a fountain pen to hand write ‘Dear ...’ (with the recruiter’s name) and always to sign ‘Yours sincerely’. And, last but not least, respectfully request an interview or an opportunity for an informal discussion.

Another little tip on writing/re-writing

Apart from the very important peace and quiet, the beauty of writing things out on paper, is that you have to do a rewrite later to get it into the computer. So what I do now for any significant creativity is:

(a) write everything out as fast as I can on paper

(b) hack it about as much as possible on paper

(c) critique it mentally making notes

(d) type it into the computer, rewriting as I go

(e) check it for sound by reading aloud, smoothing again.

(f) let you lot have a look at it on the critique board

(g) adopt good suggestions and repost

Makes it easier to re-write.  ;)