Author Topic: Opinions on prom?  (Read 1695 times)

Offline GrayWolf

• A lone wolf, but one with many friends.
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 35
  • Love is not life; love enhances life~Green Fairy
  • Fursona Species: Timber Wolf
Opinions on prom?
« on: March 12, 2014, 12:22:12 pm »
Ever since I first started high school I've dreaded prom. And now it's a month away, and I'm gonna go stag, like every single dance I go to.
I consider myself a lone wolf, but I don't mind a friend or two to talk with. I also happen to be a writer.

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." ~Ray Bradbury

Offline Scully

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 111
Re: Opinions on prom?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 12:31:04 pm »
I just didn't go. I was single yes but that wasent the main point. It's just costs to much. You buy a suit, get a haircut, get smart basically and arrange transport. Then the money you paid goes to so crappy meal. Proms may be different over there but that's how it was where I am. If you don't like it then I wouldn't go unless it's compulsory or something.

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 273
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 12:40:41 pm »
Thoughts of prom in grade 8: Well its a while away but its probably going to be as awesome as the graduation thing i missed from my old school
Thoughts of prom in grade 9: Well the semi formal dance was not really that great, and i know prom is stereotypically known for people to get dates in and such, so it might not be as good as i thought it would be but its probably going to be alright when i get there
Thoughts of prom in grade 10: So HOW many relationships are going to be formed just because of prom? and how many of them will be broken within the week? *facepalm* I think im starting to wonder how these same people manage to get good grades.

Who knows what ill think of it next year?
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 586
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 12:41:52 pm »
I know you're probably tired of hearing this, but GO!
My brother's in the same boat right now; he's only been to one or two dances, and he's dreading Prom because he doesn't have anyone to go with. Why are you dreading it?
If you're worried about going stag, that's understandable, BUT it doesn't have to be that way. Do you have any close female friends you could go with? I know Prom is hyped up as a romantic thing, but it really doesn't have to be. Its just about celebrating your high school days with the people who mean the most to you <3 I went with my best friend one year, who is a guy, and it was amazing! Actually, there was LESS pressure than if we were going as a couple, which was nice. We still did the flower exchange things and matching tie/dress deal, but we weren't really pressured to dance or anything (we still did, but that's cuz we were a sucker for it ;P ) Actually, I'm eternally grateful I went with him, because we don't talk that much nowadays. So at least I have that to look back on. One of my coworkers has a girlfriend, but he went with his female best friend & is going with her this year, because he's determined to help her have a good prom. So yeah, it can be really sweet if you want it x)

Even if you don't have anyone to go with, surely you'll go with a group of friends? Its still just as fun; I went single in my senior year, and it was incredible just spending that time with my friends. When a slow song came on, my other single friends just formed a dance circle and slow-danced together, orrr we just chilled by our table taking pictures or something. If you don't focus on all the couples, chances are you'll forget why you didn't wanna go in the first place.

So yes, definitely go! Its really only a high-pressure thing if you let it be. And its a TOTALLY different world from normal school dances--not sure if its the same for your school, but we went to a different venue, with a catered meal and really fancy decorations and things! Everything about it is just really fun x) Its a once-in-a-lifetime thing and you certainly won't regret going  :lol-fox: I could yammer on about my high school days for forever, so if you wanna talk about it further (or anything else), feel free to contact me <3

• Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 01:03:38 pm »
I had a great time at prom o.o

I had a lovely date, along with a pretty decently sized friend group. We all spent the day at my date's house and hung out and ate. Then we took a nice limousine and the prom event was in a super nice building in New York City. (Can't remember what it was called). 

The food was actually really good, and it was on the top floor of like a 30 floor building so you could see the entire New York Skyline. Everyone had a great time.

Only thing I didn't really like was the shitty dance music (I hate most dance music, but this wasn't even the tolerable stuff) and the dance floor was WAAyyyy too small.

But yeah. Prom is a one time thing. People will be talking about it. You don't want to be left out.

Online Gaz

• The Mobile
  • Board Moderator
  • Candies: 287
  • FT's Unofficial Disc Jockey
    • Twitter - @GlitterLiquor
    • Song I listen to far too much
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 01:04:39 pm »
I would say you will have fun if you go, single or not.

My girlfriend broke up with me just last week, but I'm still going to prom just so I can hang out with all of my friends! c:
Senior year, gotta live it up! x3
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
Feel free to contact me with questions, concerns,
or if you just want to talk.

Offline taliruq

• all guts, no glory
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 12
  • ♡ bunny princess ♡
    • DeviantArt - taliruq
    • FurAffinity - taliruq
    • my tumblr!
  • Fursona Species: lop bunny alt: mutt
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 06:41:29 pm »
Basically what Panda said!

for myself, i'm stoked for prom! i'm going with my best friend (i have a boyfriend, but i'd rather share this with someone i know for sure i'm gonna be close to for a long time haha) and we're gonna wear flower crowns and look generally hippie/punk rock ish hahaha! for myself, i bought a dress i plan on wearing a lot more after grad, as well as shoes i'll for sure wear a lot after grad, because i don't want to spend all that money on stuff i'll only use once or twice in my life. tbh its the after parties that make prom more fun though :P

i don't know about where others live, but here its considered normal for people to go stag or to just go with a friend (or more-than-a-friend) of the same gender, so thats a potential option for those of you worried about prom!

Offline Akio Leopard

• ^~^
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 63
  • Icon by Ziggyzoom
    • DeviantArt - AkioLeopard
    • FurAffinity - AkioLeopard
  • Fursona Species: Snow Leopard
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 06:42:21 pm »
I'm pretty sure I'll end up going to prom. It seems like it would be fun to go to, with either a group of friends or a significant other. But I will not spend a ridiculous amount of money on it. I'll buy a nice suit, but I don't need a limo, super fancy dinner, etc. It seems like a waste of money. If I have a significant other at the time, I like to think we would go to a restaurant we both like, either alone or with a friend group, and then drive to prom, and hang out a bit afterwards. I don't like to waste my money, and it seems like quite a few people do a lot of that on prom. Of course, I'm in 10th grade, so I've still got two years for my opinion to change.
Feel free to PM me or message me on Skype. I like to talk, and as long as I'm not busy I'm happy to chat anytime :lol-fox:
(But I'm kind of awkward so you'll have to message me first)

~I don't even know what I was gonna put here~

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 299
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 06:45:52 pm »
I'm certainly not going to prom. I don't see the point of paying an odd £15 or so just to stand in a corner and watch happy couples dance and laugh all night.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline End

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 406
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 09:47:41 pm »
I despise prom more then anyone else, but however I still go because there's always something interesting that happens there, not to mention the drama that comes from it too.

Offline Jack Lionheart

• Jack the Helpful Lion
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 77
    • DeviantArt - Scott04069418
    • FurAffinity - JackLionHeart
    • Jack's World of Wonder (tumblr)
  • Fursona Species: Lion
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 10:28:20 pm »
I didn't want to miss prom because I felt like I would regret it so I went to my really close friend and basically asked, "If I don't have a girlfriend by the time prom comes around will you go with me?" and she was like, "Sure." So when, come prom, I was still single I went with my friend and had a really good time anyway.
  • Pronouns: For Jack: He/Him/His, For me (irl or non-furry communications): She/Her/Hers

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 12:16:38 am »
I only went to a pseudo prom in primary school. I didn't get to go in secondary school because I was undergoing a lot of social emotional problems at the time (unrelated to finding a partner). But it's not like I would have found a partner at the time, anyway. My social skills were horrible at the time and there's no way I could have found anyone to go with. So I've not really experienced it. I'd probably encourage you to try it if you're content with going.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 06:10:57 am »
I totall agree with Panda - go! And dress sartorially, dressed to kill - YAY for good looking guys!  :) Make 'em swoon, put a bit of stick-about

Honestly, think "I'm going to have a great time!" and you will.

Offline Timo

• Yesh? Do you realize you just wasted 3 seconds reading this?
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 12
  • Nothing to say, oh wait I did just say something:D
    • DeviantArt - Timocool
    • Twitter - TimOOownsyou
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 01:28:07 pm »
I agree with all saying you should go to the prom, because I myself will too say you should go! I went just last year when I graduated from school, and it was great fun, just chilling out and seeing all your mates together for possibly the last time in your life. It doesn't matter if you are single, most people there are. It's not about relationships, it's about who's more classy :P and just enjoying the company of all your friends! Go for it mate, it's an event which you will remember for years to come, provided you manage to enjoy yourself, you surely will!   

Here's a pic of me and a couple of my buddies of mine (I'm on the left) to encourage ye :D   Just don't wear something too boring or something so absurdly colourful that it's stupid XD unless you are one of those lucky people who actually look good with a full orange or purple suit  :lol:

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 01:29:59 pm by Timo »
What is a committee? A group of the unwilling, picked from the unfit, to do the unnecessary.
-Mark Twain-

Offline EclipsetheWolf

• FT's resident geek!
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 19
  • Fursuit SOON!
  • Fursona Species: Main: wolf
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 03:01:43 pm »
I'm still only an eighth grader but I'm thinking that when I hit sixteen I'm going to get a fursuit because that's about the age most people stop growing and I'm thinking of going in that, however I'm not sure what kind of hate I would get from my school. I don't know I just want to make it the most memorable night of my life and I wore a fursuit it would make it a million times better.

FCWf3a A C- D+++ H+ M? P++ R T++ W- Z- Sm RLCT a- cn++++ d+ e- f+ h* i++ j p+ sm

Offline GrayWolf

• A lone wolf, but one with many friends.
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 35
  • Love is not life; love enhances life~Green Fairy
  • Fursona Species: Timber Wolf
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 03:32:09 pm »
I'm still only an eighth grader but I'm thinking that when I hit sixteen I'm going to get a fursuit because that's about the age most people stop growing and I'm thinking of going in that, however I'm not sure what kind of hate I would get from my school. I don't know I just want to make it the most memorable night of my life and I wore a fursuit it would make it a million times better.

Even I'll admit that would be an awesome prom! :lol-fox:
I consider myself a lone wolf, but I don't mind a friend or two to talk with. I also happen to be a writer.

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." ~Ray Bradbury

Offline End

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 406
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 03:56:23 pm »
Don't go to prom in a fursuit.... CRASH a prom in a fursuit or morphsuit

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 299
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 04:34:16 pm »
Great, and now I'm thinking of a guy in a purple morphsuit running into prom and flipping over the punch/refreshments table. :lol-fox:
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 273
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 04:36:51 pm »
Great, and now I'm thinking of a guy in a purple morphsuit running into prom and flipping over the punch/refreshments table. :lol-fox:
Well... Someone just gave me a genius idea if i'm going alone.
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 04:49:09 pm »

You dress faultlessly, Timo. :)

Your trousers are the correct length and their colour compliments your jacket; jacket the same and a nice blue ti ewith a matching hankerchief is a nice touch. That's how I'd expect to be met by a guy at Prom.