Author Topic: Has furry fandom have an impact on your life?  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Y U N O

• •••
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 12
  • ♡♡♡
    • Joenza
  • Fursona Species: Demon
Has furry fandom have an impact on your life?
« on: March 17, 2014, 06:09:33 pm »
If so how? And why?
  • Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 301
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
Re: Has furry fandom have an impact on your life?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 06:17:53 pm »
It has allowed me to understand and learn to love animals better, as well as discovering species that  I didn't know.
The furry fandom has also led me to be less shy and more confident  with myself at times.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline Scully

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 111
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 06:30:08 pm »
It has allowed me to understand and learn to love animals better, as well as discovering species that  I didn't know.
The furry fandom has also led me to be less shy and more confident  with myself at times.
I agree with this. I would have never gone onto a forum like this and talked to other people if I weren't in this fandom. It's boosted my confidence a bit. I'm still shy and nervous but no where as bad as I used to be.

Offline GrayWolf

• A lone wolf, but one with many friends.
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 38
  • Love is not life; love enhances life~Green Fairy
  • Fursona Species: Timber Wolf
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 06:33:22 pm »
Yes it has. It's made me read amazing and fantastic books that I consider top 5 easily, taught me the relationship between animals and humans, led me to see unbelievable artwork an artists, and has led me to meet people I now consider my friends. That includes you all!  :fox-:):
I consider myself a lone wolf, but I don't mind a friend or two to talk with. I also happen to be a writer.

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." ~Ray Bradbury

Offline Cam

• Photographer, car nut, gamer, con goer and professional turn off and on againer
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 55
    • FurAffinity - animosus5
  • Fursona Species: Snowleopard
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 07:20:37 pm »
I would have to say it's made me do things I wouldn't normally have done in the first place. Fur suiting for example, I wasn't ever going to really try that, but after a year or so in the fandom I started to like the idea. When one of my friends came back to Perth, he put me in his and I loved it!

I know that in a lot of Europe, the USA, UK, Canada, other parts of Australia, Asia and some other countries I have a place to stay if I decide to go over there.

The furry fandom let me see another city in Australia for the first time, while yes I had been to Europe and the USA before, I had never seen another state in Australia.

Biggest would've been the amount of friends I made from it and the people I've met. They are some of the most awesome, friendly bunch of people, I really don't think I could stop hanging out with furries, at least for a very, very long time.
Add me on telegram @Animosus

I'm from Perth, Western Australia but travel interstate frequently

Offline Wolfgang Husky

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 11
    • FurAffinity - Gatsby_J_Husky
  • Fursona Species: Siberian Husky
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 08:12:33 pm »
It has allowed me to meet new people, manage stress, and in a sense saved my life. In addition without it I would never have chosen to pursue a career in Chemistry. (Thank you Uncle Kage!!!).  :fox-:):

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 273
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 09:55:55 pm »
Yes, but i don't feel like writing an essay why :P
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline furrylifeguard

• *blows whistle* Walk, dang it!
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 64
  • I live at the bottom of the pool I guard.
    • DeviantArt - thefurrylifeguard
    • FurAffinity - thefurrylifeguard
    • Twitter - furrylifeguard
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 10:03:12 pm »
Definitely. I've learned to come out of my shell (I think that's the third time I've said that today) and talk to some pretty cool people online, and I've opened up to a whole lot of new concepts and ideas. I've got so many new story ideas in my head that I need to quit being a bum and write them down. I'm also starting to share more stuff about myself to people because I've learned that I don't really care that much what people think. I'm also learning so much about other people and learning to be much more accepting of others' quirks when I think about my own.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feel free to talk to me! I don't bite, although I probably smell like chlorine.

Offline Akio Leopard

• ^~^
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 63
  • Icon by Ziggyzoom
    • DeviantArt - AkioLeopard
    • FurAffinity - AkioLeopard
  • Fursona Species: Snow Leopard
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 11:42:08 pm »
The furry fandom has undoubtably impacted my life. In it, I've met tons of awesome and unique people, and learned and heard many interesting things from them. I've made some friends that I can't imagine ever forgetting. I've also found a place where I can be exactly who I am, and am accepted with open arms. It's been very easy for me to make friends here, and because of that I am less shy in real life now, although I'm still pretty shy x3

The fandom is something I'm thrilled to be a part of. I enjoy having it in my life. I love the artwork and the people, and I can't wait to get involved with fur suiting and conventions. I can't imagine the fandom ever not being a part of my life, at least not for a long time.
Feel free to PM me or message me on Skype. I like to talk, and as long as I'm not busy I'm happy to chat anytime :lol-fox:
(But I'm kind of awkward so you'll have to message me first)

~I don't even know what I was gonna put here~

Offline taliruq

• all guts, no glory
  • Orange Level
  • ♡ bunny princess ♡
    • DeviantArt - taliruq
    • FurAffinity - taliruq
    • my tumblr!
  • Fursona Species: lop bunny alt: mutt
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 07:31:37 pm »
absolutely! it caused me to start drawing, and in turn, start making fursuits. if i had never started making fursuits, i probably wouldn't have started sewing, if it that hadn't happened, i wouldn't be going to university for fashion design. :P its really scary to think about actually...

as well, fursuiting really helped me learn how to be more outgoing. it kinda teaches you that when you go out of your way to be friendly to people, they'll usually be friendly right back! also, meeting so many cool, diverse people really opened up my eyes to the world, as i had lived in a small town (like 500 people) for a lot of my life. i know i used to be painfully shy and self-conscious, but now i'm extremely extroverted and i loooove meeting new people all the time! the furry fandom seems really open and respectful of so many different kinds of people, and i'm so glad i got to spend my teen years with people from it.

Offline Wolfgang Husky

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 11
    • FurAffinity - Gatsby_J_Husky
  • Fursona Species: Siberian Husky
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 05:39:18 pm »
The furry fandom has also kept me somewhat same. As a high school student I have lots of homework, and other responsibilities. It makes a great ways to relax, hangout and meet some great people. I feel like I have my academic life and my "furry" life.

Offline ___

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 43
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 07:28:12 pm »
Of course it has, and wow what a year resulted from it... um... if I explained how and why it affected me, it would take a year... on Pluto... but as bluntly as I can... it helped me discover who I was, it helped me become more sociable with people, more specifically people within the fandom, it helped me inspire my creativity as both a writer, and artist, which I cannot even thank the people who helped me find you all for that... it's just been a great experience...

Offline Left the Fandom

• Goodbye
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 22
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 07:44:40 pm »
As what TheCuteDikDik said it gave me a better understanding about animals, it also helped me to be more social. It also gave me a medium for which I can channel my arts through.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 07:48:18 pm »
Well I had that whole crazy "freshman year teenager" scene going on when I had first found the fandom. And I relied on the fandom because online people were nicer and for once I actually had similar interests with people.

I feel like the fandom helped me open up a bit as I'm quite social now. The fandom is still nice because I can be myself and not have to keep things secret from others.

Offline Proto

• Luckiest fox alive
  • Cookies: 231
  • This is super sweet!
    • Happy Holidays 2017!
    • DeviantArt - TinyProto
    • FurAffinity - tinyproto
  • Fursona Species: Gray Fox
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 07:56:49 pm »
Well, for starters it has made me realize how much I enjoy drawing random stuff. Also, thanks to it I've met a lot of "furryends" (I'm so punny lel)
It also helped me to know what to look for in a girlfriend and to not only go for how she looks
  • Flag - mexico
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
:redvelvet:  :pawheart:  :proto:
Taking on commissions!
 Here are my prices

"Have you gone yoicks?!" - Soren, Guardians of Ga'hoole

Offline Xenon

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 2
  • Fursona Species: Alicorn
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 09:32:43 pm »
Oh yeah, for sure it's impacted my life.

Ever since I was little I'm had a really intense longing to be something non-human. Like...really badly, to the point it has driven me to tears on a few occasions. Most people would just laugh at me if I told them I had that feeling, but the furry fandom allows me to express that. I'm really grateful for that. Whatever that feeling is it isn't healthy, but luckily the furry fandom really helps make it better.

Not to mention it's helped me improve my drawing and writing skills greatly, and I've also met a lot of great friends because of it.

Offline Y U N O

• •••
  • Orange Level
  • ♡♡♡
    • Joenza
  • Fursona Species: Demon
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 09:45:44 pm »

Ever since I was little I'm had a really intense longing to be something non-human. Like...really badly, to the point it has driven me to tears on a few occasions. Most people would just laugh at me if I told them I had that feeling, but the furry fandom allows me to express that. I'm really grateful for that. Whatever that feeling is it isn't healthy, but luckily the furry fandom really helps make it better.

Not to mention it's helped me improve my drawing and writing skills greatly, and I've also met a lot of great friends because of it.

I know how you feel,when I was 10 I wanted to be a werewolf REALLY BADLY
  • Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Offline EclipsetheWolf

• FT's resident geek!
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 19
  • Fursuit SOON!
  • Fursona Species: Main: wolf
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 10:49:32 pm »

I think this is where it all starts for furries, simply stated that every kid who is a repressed furry or doesn't know about it yet probably has some form of attraction to an otherworldly transformation to a non human state of being, I know I wanted to be a feral wolf and never even thought of the anthropomorphized version or even knew a community was revolved around I just thought I had animal empathy but now that I look back at memories past, I can start to see more furry residualness in my actions as I grew up.

FCWf3a A C- D+++ H+ M? P++ R T++ W- Z- Sm RLCT a- cn++++ d+ e- f+ h* i++ j p+ sm

Offline Swift the Panther

• If you follow my advice you're either incredibly courageous or an incredible idiot.
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 23
  • Fursona Species: Panther
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 09:34:24 pm »
Serious time: The furry fandom completely changed me as a person. I went from a little shit to a slightly more mature little shit in months. My social skills have generally improved since I joined. It inspired me to take up art, as well as improve my writing. It taught me not to get offended over the little things. It showed me things that were simply not acceptable and examples of people I did not want to become and gave me motivation to avoid said examples.

And it helped me get out of a long bout of depression. That one's probably most important.
Dear all,
I am no longer active on this site and would ask that none of you send friend requests/chat invites/etc. to whatever account of mine you may find. Thank you.

Offline Mark Wolf

• I'm in love with a special blue husky ^^
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 7
  • Look! My foot-paws
    • Twitter - @WolfboyYoutube
  • Fursona Species: Grey Wolf
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 11:37:03 am »
It allowed me to be more confident in life and to realise I'm a furry and I'm proud of it
"Some people tell me, 'You only go to these conventions to have sex!', to which I reply, 'Go over there. Do ANY of those people look like they've EVER had sex?!'"
— Uncle Kage, at Furry Weekend Atlanta '10

You just can't not love kage!