Author Topic: Mixing/Mastering Advice‽  (Read 309 times)

• split your infinities
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 59
  • By irishthorns@FA
    • FurAffinity - aurorapaws
    • Twitter - aurorafatalis
  • Fursona Species: a cleverly arranged amalgamation of carbon compounds
Mixing/Mastering Advice‽
« on: April 06, 2014, 02:49:48 pm »
So it's probably unlikely that anyone here is into music production, but I could still use input in other areas.

The link below contains a short clip (about 30 seconds) of each of the six songs in order. The track list is located in the description.

https://soundcloud.com/aurora-fatalis/first-snow-ep-sample-mix

I've been working on this EP for a while now and I'm down to the final stages. I have little to no mixing/mastering experience and with no money (to pay someone else to do it), I'm going to have to try this myself.

My current goal to to finish the EP before my 16th birthday in less than a month. I want to do this mostly for the fun (I do not desire any money for my music), but also because if I choose the audio career path, it will look good on my 'resume'. I know 15 and 16 aren't that different, but for some reason I just feel like it would be a good idea. However, with tons of homework looming over my head every day, track, and other disturbances, I am not completely sure that I can complete the EP in its entirety.

Regardless of whether or not I make the goal, it is essential to hear input from other people. If anyone does have experience with mixing or mastering (or knows someone that does), I would appreciate any advice. It can be specific to my music (example: this [instrument] seems a little too loud at [mm:ss]) or just general (probably genre specific). And if you don't have experience, I could still use some feedback! Is what you hear really any good? Or am I just fooling myself?

Thank you for listening/reading!  :fox-;):
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - demiromantic

None of this will matter
20 years from now

Offline Linx the Crazy Wolf

• Singer by night, DJ some other night, and wolf 98.75457897% of the time
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 12
  • I love my snugglepup~<3
    • DeviantArt - LinxCW
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Re: Mixing/Mastering Advice‽
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 01:07:11 pm »
I do produce and I do mix. The only advice I could give you is practice, practice, practice and when you think you're done practicing, practice some more. Mixing is a very difficult thing to do (if done traditionally) unless you're using the new stuff but still practice. It's all you can do really and just get better.
:crazywolf:
Get over it, you just don't get me.
Kinsey scale: 5.5
What are YOU going to do? Arrest me? Go ahead. By the way, how much do you like your shins?

• split your infinities
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 59
  • By irishthorns@FA
    • FurAffinity - aurorapaws
    • Twitter - aurorafatalis
  • Fursona Species: a cleverly arranged amalgamation of carbon compounds
Re: Mixing/Mastering Advice‽
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:32:13 pm »
I do produce and I do mix. The only advice I could give you is practice, practice, practice and when you think you're done practicing, practice some more. Mixing is a very difficult thing to do (if done traditionally) unless you're using the new stuff but still practice. It's all you can do really and just get better.

Thank you for taking the time to read and post here! I will certainly keep in mind the amount of practice that is required to get quality sound. And how ever this EP ends up sounding production-wise, I will make sure that it is better the next time around.
Thanks!   :fox-;):

___________________________________________________________ ___________________

As an update here, I've completed the mixing process to the best of my abilities and have saved temporary mastered versions. Really all I need now is confirmation from someone that it sounds alright. I've heard from several sources (and it makes sense) that it is important to have other people (who are producers) listen to your songs before release in case you missed something. In my situation, I'm probably missing quite a bit, but all I want to achieve is for my EP to sound good to the average music enthusiast. I'm not expecting or even asking anyone here to listen to all this, but if you happen to be interested or know someone who might be, I would like to know!
Thanks again!
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - demiromantic

None of this will matter
20 years from now