Author Topic: Fish Troubles.  (Read 234 times)

Offline Ayzure

• Just Perusing.
  • Green Level
  • Mince Pies: 62
Fish Troubles.
« on: April 16, 2014, 05:06:01 am »
This morning another one of my fishes died. That brings the tally to 3 :sad-fox:
I got the tank at Christmas and I had 8 fish in total. 4 Guppies and 4 other fish that look ugly. Originally they all swam at the top, and my friend said it was because of too much ammonia, and that you have to let the bacteria form make it into nitrates; or something along those lines, but after a week or so they just swam normally.
The 4 ugly ones are alright, but 3/4 of the Guppies are dead...

I think I might just get a female Guppy and have loads of babby fish.  :badger:

Offline ★ Panda ★

• ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*
  • Administrator
  • Mince Pies: 677
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
Re: Fish Troubles.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 03:45:19 pm »
Your friend was most likely referring to the nitrogen cycle, which is essential to all large tanks (its essential to any tank, but tanks under 5 gallons arguably can't be cycled, so most people don't bother). Ammonia is produced by waste, and is toxic to fish, why is why cycling is necessary. The ammonia is converted to nitrite, which is then converted to nitrate, and the cycle begins again.

Please, PLEASE cycle your tank before you get more fish. You honestly sound like you don't know too much about the subject, which is fine if you're a beginner, but fatal and abusive to your fish. Ammonia poisoning is painful, and if not fatal, makes fish way more susceptible to diseases that are. How big is your tank, and is it filtered? I've been keeping fish for around 6 years now, and have had a cycled, filtered tank since December, so I can help with any questions or concerns you may have c:

I apologize if I came off as rude in any point of this post, I just love fish and hate to see them suffer because of lack of knowledge. I just want to help <3
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - aromantic
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

There’s a thing called love
That we all forget

Offline Ayzure

• Just Perusing.
  • Green Level
  • Mince Pies: 62
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 07:12:23 am »
So do I have to do anything specific? or just not over-feed them, etc.

I have a filter, and I added so of this Tap safe stuff which removes unwanted chemicals.
It's only a small tank, don't know exactly how big though.

Offline ★ Panda ★

• ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*
  • Administrator
  • Mince Pies: 677
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 10:44:48 pm »
Is there any way you can find out the size of the tank?
And yes, adding that conditioner is a must. The chemicals found in tap and even distilled water can kill fish, so its good that you're using that c:

If you don't want to deal with a cycle right now, or if your tank is too small to, you can pick up a bottle of Quick Start. Its available at most  pet stores from what I've seen  :D
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - aromantic
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

There’s a thing called love
That we all forget