Author Topic: Daimhín's Deer Doodles  (Read 7798 times)

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
Daimhín's Deer Doodles
« on: April 26, 2014, 12:18:34 am »
Hi. I actually really like drawing and stuff, but I don't have much confidence in my drawings and sometimes I have little inclination to pick up a pencil because of it. I'm hoping to amend this by posting some of my drawings here and in other places. Hopefully I'll be posting here more than my photography thread. I could benefit from some tips and critique, if anybody would be kind enough to offer that.

It might not surprise you that my artwork is pretty bad. The quality of the photos, ideas and even the drawings themselves are sorely lacking. But I'm hoping to gradually get better with practice. I'd love to do requests for people if I believed I could offer them something I think they would like. Maybe I'll get there - with lots of practice.

So here's some of my doodles.

Just some character designs and work on expressions. It's mostly just deer and dogs. There's also an attempt at drawing the side-profile of human face, using my favourite technique of drawing human faces.

More work on faces, including animals and humans.

A goat kid. This little guy was inspired by some of the goats at work... and Goat Simulator.

Another doge. I actually sort of like the position he was sat in. It was very hard to draw, though.

Anyway, I hope to get to draw more and upload some of the artwork here. It's something I greatly enjoy.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:57:12 pm by Funny Banana »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 177
  • STERLING
Re: Gage's Artwork and Stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 12:26:06 am »
I LOOOOOOOVE Your Deer and Goat drawings!!!! :DDDDDD

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 12:33:23 am »
Thanks so much! I can't tell you how much it means to me that someone would compliment my artwork. I can't tell you how grateful I am for it.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • STERLING
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 12:36:33 am »
Thanks so much! I can't tell you how much it means to me that someone would compliment my artwork. I can't tell you how grateful I am for it.

awh well of course! :D I love it! <3
I'd love to see like some colored stuff too c: but oh my gosh <3 the goat cx hahaha

Offline Cookie-N

• lennyface.psd
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 59
  • furries trigger me
    • DeviantArt - cookie-n
    • FurAffinity - cookiethebluecat
    • Twitter - nicholas_cookie
    • Tumblr / Art Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 02:26:57 am »
Nice! It's good that you are using guide lines to help you construct your subject. However, a visible lack of muscle definition and understanding will severely hamper your artwork's quality. Do research on human muscle placement, as it will be easier for animals, too.

As usual, for any beginning artist, do practice still-life! It will help you capture the form and gain understanding of how objects work more than you think.  :fox-;):
KEK

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 09:33:38 am »

awh well of course! :D I love it! <3
I'd love to see like some colored stuff too c: but oh my gosh <3 the goat cx hahaha
I'm not sure how long it'll take before I can start colouring stuff. Truthfully, I wouldn't even know where to start. It'll be a long time before I can start digital art and I'm currently working on things like sketches and shading at the moment. But I'll definitely give it a go at some point, in some particular way or another.

Nice! It's good that you are using guide lines to help you construct your subject. However, a visible lack of muscle definition and understanding will severely hamper your artwork's quality. Do research on human muscle placement, as it will be easier for animals, too.

As usual, for any beginning artist, do practice still-life! It will help you capture the form and gain understanding of how objects work more than you think.  :fox-;):
Thanks so much for the compliment and critique! I really think it'll help me out a great deal. In my next sketches, I'll look more into muscles places and definition, as you said. I hope to improve on that as well as other things. I'll also give still-life drawings a go instead of solely relying on images on the internet as reference.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline Lucius.

• Friend please...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 187
  • Fursona Species: Wolfdog
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 09:44:43 am »
I love the drawing of the goat kid. It looks very accurate. c:
You also do great mouths on animals. I've always been interested in drawing mouths, and for a lot of the drawings you've pretty much nailed it.
& I especially like the last one of the dogey. The face looks very symmetrical, which is difficult to do.

To improve? Invest in some A3 paper and try and do larger drawings. This will help out a lot with detail.
Icon by Nagi. :rose:

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 10:05:15 am »
I love the drawing of the goat kid. It looks very accurate. c:
You also do great mouths on animals. I've always been interested in drawing mouths, and for a lot of the drawings you've pretty much nailed it.
& I especially like the last one of the dogey. The face looks very symmetrical, which is difficult to do.

To improve? Invest in some A3 paper and try and do larger drawings. This will help out a lot with detail.
Thank you so much! All of those compliments really mean a lot.
And yeah, I think I might actually own an A3 pad somewhere. I'll have to go looking for it though or buy a new one in the event that it doesn't show up.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 586
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 06:42:10 pm »
WHAT omg since when do you draw?
These are amazing :D You can tell that spending so much time around animals has influenced your artwork (for the better) c: You also have a pretty good grasp on expressions
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 04:43:25 pm »
WHAT omg since when do you draw?
These are amazing :D You can tell that spending so much time around animals has influenced your artwork (for the better) c: You also have a pretty good grasp on expressions
Oh my gosh, I can't tell you how much that means to me. Especially from a fantastic artisan such as yourself.
Pfft, I don't personally think of it as amazing by any means. But I'm ever so glad you think spending time around lots of animals has influenced my work.

I'll try to upload more of my sketches soon. c:
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • STERLING
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 05:27:46 pm »
More goaties! ^w^ Yay!

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 07:43:26 pm »

Another sketch page.

Edit: I didn't like how massive the ears turned out on the horse above, so I redrew them and uploaded another image of the sketch page.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:05:56 pm by Gage »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • STERLING
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 10:21:39 pm »
Horsies! :D I love it!
Your animal stuff is great! You should totally do commissions!

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 02:00:05 am »
Horsies! :D I love it!
Your animal stuff is great! You should totally do commissions!
What? My art is nowhere near that good. It isn't close to being something that's worth money. I'm currently striving to develop enough skill so that I can confidently offer requests to members, then produce something I think they would actually like. It'll be a long time before I can seriously contemplate taking commissions. And even then I'm not sure I could cope with the possibility of disappointing someone when money is involved. But I guess I appreciate your complements. Thank you so much. :D

Here's an attempt at drawing a doberman sitting. After all that's been going on for me this week, I think it's a miracle that I managed to pick up a pencil at all.

Edit: Upon further inspection, I didn't like how fatty the hind leg appeared. Edited it to appear more lithe.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 04:21:16 am by Gage »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline Cookie-N

• lennyface.psd
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 59
  • furries trigger me
    • DeviantArt - cookie-n
    • FurAffinity - cookiethebluecat
    • Twitter - nicholas_cookie
    • Tumblr / Art Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 09:09:34 am »
I'm pretty sure the structure of the doberman as a whole should be more… compact??? I'm not quite sure where the errors are, but I'm pretty sure that the upper part of the legs should be bigger than the lower part.
KEK

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 09:40:36 am »
I'm pretty sure the structure of the doberman as a whole should be more… compact??? I'm not quite sure where the errors are, but I'm pretty sure that the upper part of the legs should be bigger than the lower part.
Funnily enough, that's what someone else said when I asked for critique. I acknowledge that I made the body a little too long when I was planning it out. It possibly also stems from how I drew the pelvis earlier on. And I later deliberately made the upper legs that way, in an effort to rectify the problem so that its rear end would look closer to scale. Oh well. At least I've caught onto it and can try to avoid similar mistakes next time. I appreciate the critique!
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 08:12:10 pm »
More doodles. I'm sorry to say that most of this stuff is really shitty and rushed (well, all of my art is generally speaking, but stull) because of the exams. But I made a pledge to start drawing more, and I plan to stick to that.
So here's some deer stuff.

An attempt at drawing a stern, grumpy doe. I think a lot of areas -- particularly the legs and hooves -- could have come out a lot better. But oh well.

This is a headshot I drew of Gage. Surprisingly enough, I rarely draw any of my characters because I'm worried about not being able to do them justice when sketching them.
Not that this is a great example of anything.

http://i.imgur.com/m4HPsYY.jpg
I'm not going to embed the last one because it'll make a lot of people feel squeamish. Basically it's an attempt at drawing my new Ichneumon wasp character, a parasitoid wasp that forcefully inserts its eggs into a live host, allowing the newly emerged larvae to begin eating it alive until they pupate. Pretty interesting and horrifying at the same time.

Since my character is a parasitic wasp, I've imagined her enjoying similar practice, other motherly things like baking cookies as well as finishing crossword puzzles!
Yes, that's supposed to be a 'Baby on board' sign on the Caterpillar. I'm really nasty.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2014, 03:47:04 pm »

The first thing I've drawn in over a solid month. I've been too invested in finishing school and stuff. With the time I've had, I drew a few headshots. I'm really not happy with a lot of them - especially with how unintentionally derpy and deranged the fawn head came out in the bottom-left. But that's to be expected after so long with limited practice.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline Saint Judas

• Herr Dummkopf
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 173
  • Just a Whisper...
  • Fursona Species: Something
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 11:14:56 pm »
They are getting better though. If you want, you could ask people for commissions, not as a professional, here is an amazing drawing so you have one, but more of a specific thing you work on. And then, they can give you critique, and while you are working on it, you have an idea of what you are aiming for specifically. Sometimes it helps to have someone else ask for something specific so you can challenge yourself better and have better info and advice.

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 06:19:55 am »
My goodness, Gage, I didn't know you drew! They look amazing!  :)

What grade pencil do you use? B? or 2B?