Author Topic: Daimhín's Deer Doodles  (Read 7797 times)

Offline Varlen

• So Amaze, Such
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 103
  • FTS RESODENT WIERDO SMILE DOOER.
  • Fursona Species: El Skunko!
Re: Gage's Artwork and Stuff
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 06:51:27 pm »
VARLEN used Cut!

So take requests then? I'd recommend art trades myself. I remember when I had your confidence and skill levels (I've tried wording this like six times and I can't make it not sound shitty, I apolagise because that's really not what I'm after here) and doing a few swashes with other artist gave me the boost in skill diversity, confidence and technical understanding to take on requests, and fellow doodlers are far more aware and respecting of your limitations and areas of focused practice than non-doodlers, and will probably give you a more rewarding challenge, both in terms of challenging your skills and critique offered at the end of it. And as positive reinforcement, you get some art you wanted in return! Awesome!

And artists are always massive whores for art, they'll go nuts with potential art tradees.
  • Flag - banana
  • Award - Beta Tester
Var's Vid of the Week:
Week 13, AK Underwater. If you have any suggestions for the Vid of the Week, pm me! ^.^

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 07:47:20 pm »
They are getting better though. If you want, you could ask people for commissions, not as a professional, here is an amazing drawing so you have one, but more of a specific thing you work on. And then, they can give you critique, and while you are working on it, you have an idea of what you are aiming for specifically. Sometimes it helps to have someone else ask for something specific so you can challenge yourself better and have better info and advice.
Thanks a lot! That's really reassuring to hear. I wouldn't mind having people ask me to draw something. In fact, in a lot of ways, I think it could help. I'm just too nervous about approaching people and I'm afraid of disappointing them. I'd at least prefer to have a proper scanner and a means of colouring my drawings before I can ask for requests. I'd love to draw for people otherwise; especially those on FT.

My goodness, Gage, I didn't know you drew! They look amazing!  :)

What grade pencil do you use? B? or 2B?
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the compiment.

I was using an art set of h2 pencils. Although at the moment, I've been forced to use a standard writing pencils. I should probably try to buy some drawing pencils again.

So take requests then? I'd recommend art trades myself. I remember when I had your confidence and skill levels (I've tried wording this like six times and I can't make it not sound shitty, I apolagise because that's really not what I'm after here) and doing a few swashes with other artist gave me the boost in skill diversity, confidence and technical understanding to take on requests, and fellow doodlers are far more aware and respecting of your limitations and areas of focused practice than non-doodlers, and will probably give you a more rewarding challenge, both in terms of challenging your skills and critique offered at the end of it. And as positive reinforcement, you get some art you wanted in return! Awesome!

And artists are always massive whores for art, they'll go nuts with potential art tradees.
It's fine. I'm not offended with what you've written. I don't know. I'm even more afraid of the prospect of an art trade. The fact that someone's investing time and effort into this arrangements leaves me even more afraid than offering requests. I'd worry about not being able to complete my side of the trade after they had finished theirs, and then of course there's always the possibility of disappointing people, which is also a possibility of art requests. I'd prefer to offer requests before I offer art trades. Although the thought of receiving art in return without paying money for it is enticing.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 08:01:01 pm by Gage »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 06:07:01 am »
For extra fine lining, Uni's Kuru Toga is useful and these 2mm leads by Faber-Castell are useful for clutch pencils. Available also in 2H or any grade. Cult pens deliver next day.

Offline Saint Judas

• Herr Dummkopf
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 173
  • Just a Whisper...
  • Fursona Species: Something
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 01:52:29 pm »
If I ever got a scanner I would do a trade with you, but sadly I don't even know how to post pictures on a thread using the IPad. I suppose when I get tired of trying I will just give a link to photobucket or something. Yeah, but if you want, you can just make a post that requests are open, but you are not sure of the quality, or still trying to improve your skills, or whatever. Just basically say that you will accept requests, but you are still improving you art, so it might not always be the best, but that you'll still try.

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 12:03:28 pm »

I attempted to draw my new deer character, Daimhín. I wanted to draw his antlers but I ran out of space on my page, so he's stuck looking like a doe. I should really use some of that larger paper I bought. In the corner you can see an attempt at drawing my Blue Tit character named Peter. But I was really disappointed in how that turned out and erased it in frustration. How do birds feet even work?

For extra fine lining, Uni's Kuru Toga is useful and these 2mm leads by Faber-Castell are useful for clutch pencils. Available also in 2H or any grade. Cult pens deliver next day.
Thanks a lot for the advice! I'll keep a look out for them.

If I ever got a scanner I would do a trade with you, but sadly I don't even know how to post pictures on a thread using the IPad. I suppose when I get tired of trying I will just give a link to photobucket or something. Yeah, but if you want, you can just make a post that requests are open, but you are not sure of the quality, or still trying to improve your skills, or whatever. Just basically say that you will accept requests, but you are still improving you art, so it might not always be the best, but that you'll still try.
Ah, thank you very much for offering! I actually recovered my old tablet and I'm considering trying some digital work. But yeah, I'd love to do a trade with you and requests for others when I feel that I could create something they would like. I'll see what I can do.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline Cookie-N

• lennyface.psd
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 59
  • furries trigger me
    • DeviantArt - cookie-n
    • FurAffinity - cookiethebluecat
    • Twitter - nicholas_cookie
    • Tumblr / Art Blog
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 12:48:41 pm »
Top right leg is bigger and seems aligned with the left, which is hella weird???

Also, birds have basically nonexistant necks, and try simplifying by just drawing three claws/whatevs instead of the usual four.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:50:24 pm by Cookie-N »
KEK

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 12:57:46 am »
A few more pictures. I've recently been drawing far more recently, and as such I have a lot of (greater) stuff to upload. But this is all I could upload with the damage done to my USB cable. I'm seriously going to have to get my scanner working again. At least I bought some new art pencils.

Fawns, Buck, Fox, Llama and Puppy.

Buck, Doe and Fawns.

Meerkat, Dogs, Fawn and Bat.

I've actually changed the way I draw fawns. I've been moving away from the Bambi style in hopes of developing my own unique style. The trick is making that as cute and look good.
I also know that there's some glaring anatomical flaws with how I've drawn the stag's ears and the fawn's left foreleg. I'd like to think I've recently improved on things like that. If there's any other major flaws that you can see, feel free to point them out! I'd greatly appreciate that.
It kind of sucks how my paper got damaged, but I hope it can be made out.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:00:39 am by Gage »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 05:14:18 am »
Just love that doggy with the bone in its mouth!  :) but since I posted here I found some lovely though remarkably different different pens: Slider Edge by Schneider. They use viscoglide technology to produce a quick drying biro ink that comes in many colours are cheaply available on Amazon, their ball sizes varying between 0.7mm (fine|) 1.0 (medium) and XB 1.4mm. And they don't roll off the table, either. :)

http://www.schneiderpen.de/en/products/catalog/subpage/show/ballpoint-pens-1_slider-edge-164.html

Offline Uncle-Noob

• Am I going to fast for you?
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 42
  • My age exceeds your IQ. . . Significantly.
  • Fursona Species: Mouse
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2014, 02:08:40 pm »
I don't know what to say about your sketches.  Everything looks fine, but I don't know why they look animated with such realistic proportions. . . . .

I think it's the eyes. . . . But I'm not sure that's all. . .  :???: :? :sad-fox:

Oh wait I figured it out. When you're drawing I don't see any evidence of just drawing the line once through smoothly. 

See here, it's very easy to see that the artist just drew the line once, like straight through. He didn't break it up into multiple lines.

This is what I mean.  You can have straight lines that go once through or kind light sketch multiple lines to make one line.  In any kind of art, it is usually better to go for the first one, depending on what you are drawing. 
I can't tell if you are using the second method or not, but I don't see any evidence of the first choice.
Still confused? Then perhaps this will enlighten you!

Middledistancerunner. I managed to save just a little bit of money. You and I can both get jobs, and we'll finally see what it means to be living.

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2014, 10:03:02 am »
Some new stuff.

I think some of my new stuff looks much more presentable. I really like the direction my art style is going in. Through perseverance, I'm pleased to say that I finished my first sketchbook. Ordinarily I just forget about them after I get preoccupied with something else. Maybe with enough effort and a better way to show my artwork, I'll soon be able to take requests from people here. I've been wanting to do that for ages but lacked the confidence.

I've actually got much more artwork to show (some a lot better than this stuff), but have lacked the means to upload it. I'm looking at getting a new scanner and getting into digital art as well. If anybody has some suggestions, advice or resources for getting started with digital art programs and investing in scanners, that would be more than appreciated. :D

Just love that doggy with the bone in its mouth!  :) but since I posted here I found some lovely though remarkably different different pens: Slider Edge by Schneider. They use viscoglide technology to produce a quick drying biro ink that comes in many colours are cheaply available on Amazon, their ball sizes varying between 0.7mm (fine|) 1.0 (medium) and XB 1.4mm. And they don't roll off the table, either. :)

http://www.schneiderpen.de/en/products/catalog/subpage/show/ballpoint-pens-1_slider-edge-164.html
Thank you so much, Alexxa! And I'll have to look into those as well.
Sorry for taking so long to respond. I honestly missed some of the responses here. :x

I don't know what to say about your sketches.  Everything looks fine, but I don't know why they look animated with such realistic proportions. . . . .

I think it's the eyes. . . . But I'm not sure that's all. . .  :???: :? :sad-fox:
Oh wait I figured it out. When you're drawing I don't see any evidence of just drawing the line once through smoothly.

See here, it's very easy to see that the artist just drew the line once, like straight through. He didn't break it up into multiple lines.

This is what I mean.  You can have straight lines that go once through or kind light sketch multiple lines to make one line.  In any kind of art, it is usually better to go for the first one, depending on what you are drawing. 
I can't tell if you are using the second method or not, but I don't see any evidence of the first choice.
Again, sorry for responding so late. I can't believe I missed these helpful responses.
Yeah, I do give my drawings cartoony eyes as opposed to trying to grasp accurate animal anatomy. I primarily do it because I think it makes them look much more expressive and lively. Plus I'm really terrible at drawing realistic eyes, and I think the large, silly eyes that I draw looks much more appealing.

I think I see what you mean. I suppose I usually go for the second style, but I could always experiment with the first to see how that goes. Interesting.
Thank you so much for the advice! It means so much to me when people take the time to critique my work.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2014, 09:47:54 pm »
I made my first digital doodle today! It's the first I've actually been able to draw anything with a computer, and the process of transitioning from sketchbook to computer wasn't as bad as it was before. I'm actually kind of pleased with how it turned out. And it's good to know that I'll be able to upload my art and have it neatly coloured as well. I'll try to upload some of the recent stuff from my sketchbooks because I'm actually pleased with some of that, as well.

It's a mule!
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline Uncle-Noob

• Am I going to fast for you?
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 42
  • My age exceeds your IQ. . . Significantly.
  • Fursona Species: Mouse
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2014, 08:28:34 am »
Hey look! It's Donkey!

Anyway, aweslme job. This is a great picture. Your next objective, now that it's sketches, is to make a new layer overtop that one and do the line art. Then once the line art is done, color it. Then when the coloring is done, texture it. When that's done, shade it. When shading is done, it's time for a background.

No I'm kidding, only go into coloring. You'll learn how to do the other stuff later (if you keep drawing, of course).
Still confused? Then perhaps this will enlighten you!

Middledistancerunner. I managed to save just a little bit of money. You and I can both get jobs, and we'll finally see what it means to be living.

Offline Kettz

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 145
  • ech
    • DeviantArt - ViolentJade
    • FurAffinity - Kettz
  • Fursona Species: Border Collie
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2014, 02:30:11 pm »
Wow don't see much mule feral art! I like your sketches! They are great! From what it looks like you got a well rounded idea of making model sheets. What your doing right is directly building off of a model sheet. If your going to color, I recommend you try going crazy and find a coloring style. Save your images as much as you want to find one. Most furry artists use the lineart, flats, and some shade/lighting. Example:

This is a common example of usually how most furries and beginners color. By inking down the lineart, adding flats, etc. Personally, I'm not really fond of the that way anymore. But, thats my opinion you don't have to take it. I honestly, like to have lots of color and smudged colors to make the hue, look different. Example w.i.p:

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2014, 11:09:14 pm »
Thanks so much for the critique, guys! I really appreciate it. That sounds really helpful. *Gives you both cookies.* :D
I'm already having quite a bit of practice with layers and colouring for a diagram I'm making within one of my assignments.
And those are some great examples, LonaLove.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline Cookie-N

• lennyface.psd
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 59
  • furries trigger me
    • DeviantArt - cookie-n
    • FurAffinity - cookiethebluecat
    • Twitter - nicholas_cookie
    • Tumblr / Art Blog
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2014, 11:43:31 pm »
You might want to try working on line confidence to make cleanup and life in general easier for yourself.
KEK

Offline Kettz

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 145
  • ech
    • DeviantArt - ViolentJade
    • FurAffinity - Kettz
  • Fursona Species: Border Collie
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2014, 03:28:50 am »
No problem. I hope you continue to draw, and see more of your work. Try to find a way to color that best suits you. Most like I said do lineart, flats, and a bit of shading. Don't be afraid to save your artwork in a lot of files. I'm not sure what program you use, so save it many files to find what suits you. The way I color is a bit different. I like to color with sumdged color. Just so I can fill in more color like lighting on clothes or hair. Not only that but, I like to go nuts with overlay layers to add color effect for saturating the hues. I mod my program to get more textures. You can do that. Photoshop is a prime example to mod for oil painting. I like what you draw Gage, and hope you keep us posted here to see your progress.

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2015, 10:48:03 am »

Drawing cute sheep instead of being a functional human being.

Ugh, I haven't been able to do anything digital in ages. Whenever I'm at a computer I'm usually working. :c
At least I still get to doodle stuff in my sketch books every now and then.

And as always, thanks for the advice! Sorry I didn't see these responses at the time.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2015, 03:55:38 pm »
So I tried to do some stuff.

Here's one of my first attempts at semi-seriously colouring one of my digital sketches. It looks like a digital version of a children's drawing, tbh. The fawn looks intentionally frustrated because I was pretty angry while trying to make this. There's some serious problems with the line control, size of the fawn's body frame, as we as how poorly it fits in with the poorly drawn background. I also seriously need to learn how to shade digitally. But at least it gave me an excuse to mess around with layers.

I've also been trying to develop an anthro art style. Currently trying to plan how I want to draw proportions and stuff.

And here's some other stuff I did.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline Gaz

• The Mobile
  • Candies: 287
  • FT's Unofficial Disc Jockey
    • Twitter - @GlitterLiquor
    • Song I listen to far too much
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2015, 04:19:10 pm »
Hey, every time you practice you can only inch closer to better. Right?

I personally think that for a first attempt at coloring your digital drawing, you didn't do bad. Not in the slightest. You can see what the goal was.

You just need to practice more is all.  :lol-fox:
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
Feel free to contact me with questions, concerns,
or if you just want to talk.

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2015, 04:25:24 pm »
Hey, every time you practice you can only inch closer to better. Right?

I personally think that for a first attempt at coloring your digital drawing, you didn't do bad. Not in the slightest. You can see what the goal was.

You just need to practice more is all.  :lol-fox:
Well thanks. x)
And yeah, I'm gonna try to find time to use my tablet and stuff.
I just find it super hard compared to sketchbook. And my sketchbook stuff isn't amazing either. :P

I'll keep trying. Thanks. :D
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor