Author Topic: FT Member Purge  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Linx the Crazy Wolf

• Death metal. Just lots and lots of death metal.
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 12
  • Just back here for nostalgia really.
    • FurAffinity - Linxcrazywolf
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
FT Member Purge
« on: April 30, 2014, 10:08:35 pm »
This is sort of a message to the mods.

I just went through the member list and I saw almost 90 pages of members. That's all fine and dandy that we have a bunch of members and whatnot, but here's the problem: OVER 60% OF THEM ARE NO LONGER ACTIVE AND 80% OF THEM HAVEN'T POSTED A SINGLE THING. I just think that members who havent been on in a fill-in-the-blank number of years and have made less that 10 posts in that time need to just be deleted. I think this would make searching for mmbers a lot easier and it would I guess clear up some room on the server. Plus with my severe OCD, seeing all those unused, abandoned profiles really makes me twitchy.

So what do you think? Should we have a member purge?
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Hmu with your metal playlist and we'll talk.

Offline Argen the Dargon

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 5
  • Silver feral dragon transgirl
  • Fursona Species: Dragon (Feral)
Re: FT Member Purge
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 10:15:08 pm »
Might be wise...
Proud to survive

PM me if you want to Skype.

Offline Arakados

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 7
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 10:17:06 pm »
But what if one person decides to come back?
Edit: I guess that makes sense, but maybe they should leave the ones made in early-ish 2013 maybe?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:23:54 pm by Arakados »

• Orange Level
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 10:18:39 pm »
But what if one person decides to come back?

If the person signed up back in '08 and hasn't returned since then, I don't think they're coming back. Take a look at the member list and look at some of them and you'll see.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - gay

Offline Malifor

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 73
  • No
    • FurAffinity - malifor2210
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 10:38:05 pm »
I think theres no point in doing so. Theres nothing wrong for having multiple accounts here maybe some thing to say that they are inactive for a long time?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:18:10 pm by Malifor »

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 177
  • STERLING
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 10:40:04 pm »
I know the staff likes to keep the accounts in case they do come back because we like to keep our arms open to everyone :)

I think a wise alternative to deleting profiles is maybe putting something to mark those inactive members, so we're not deleting everyone, AND we can still search for members who are active and such.
This "Mark" could be like maybe their username in red or something to indicate their inactivity.
And when you're searching for members there can be a narrowed down search to members who are active.

I dunno, this is just an idea :)

• Orange Level
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 10:52:08 pm »
I know the staff likes to keep the accounts in case they do come back because we like to keep our arms open to everyone :)

I think a wise alternative to deleting profiles is maybe putting something to mark those inactive members, so we're not deleting everyone, AND we can still search for members who are active and such.
This "Mark" could be like maybe their username in red or something to indicate their inactivity.
And when you're searching for members there can be a narrowed down search to members who are active.

I dunno, this is just an idea :)

Yeah I guess so, even though the odds are unlikely, we still need to keep open arms.

But going off what you said, it would be a good idea to mark the inactive members in red and include a "filter inactive members" button or something on the list. That way the members are still there but also not in the way. (not in a bad way I mean)
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - gay

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 273
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 11:08:52 pm »
There are still alot of good unique names that can still be claimed by others. I dont think there is a need for a Purge. However, a filter for inactive members would be nice (but we would need to define active)
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline LANCIFROST

• Let's go!
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 103
  • A' suh dudes!
    • DeviantArt - Spartan329
    • FurAffinity - LanceThyla
    • Twitter - Lancifur
    • Weasyl - Lance
    • My Tumblr.
  • Fursona Species: Thylacine
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 11:42:53 pm »
Okay, so Xantera basically hit the nail on the head there. We don't delete old and/or inactive member profiles due to the fact that on the off chance somebody would like to return at some point, they always have an account here and can always feel welcome. The other issue we could run into would be the issue of all the posts that some of those accounts had made, I personally am not sure what would happen, but any damage, no matter small or large is too much, and we would rather have the long list than potentially fracture the structural integrity of the threads.

As for a filter, I don't think we'd be against that idea, but we are limited to what we can do by what the forum software will allow, and I don't believe it will allow us to do this. Great suggestion though, we really do appreciate everyone who is trying to help!
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - usa
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - pansexual

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 593
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 11:57:10 pm »
As for a filter, I don't think we'd be against that idea, but we are limited to what we can do by what the forum software will allow, and I don't believe it will allow us to do this. Great suggestion though, we really do appreciate everyone who is trying to help!

It currently doesn't. A sort of member activity marker is being discussed for the new site, however c:
And yes, what Xantera and Lance said. We don't delete accounts in case someone wants to come back. Its a legitimate question, but we don't really have a need for removal of inactive accounts right now.
Plus, the taken username problem is pretty much solved by our ability to have screen names that are different than our username  :fox-;):
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 12:09:46 am »
I personally feel like (kind of just gunning off everyone else) super inactive accounts of like, Red Level or Lower can be deleted.

If like, 8 years passes and someone REALLY wants to come back but like, their original account had like 10 posts total, I think they could live with making another account.

I'd be a bit upset because I have the full rainbow paw status; but there are so many accounts that are made here where the people use them for like, testing purposes, or just like a week and then go forever.

• Orange Level
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 12:45:03 am »
I personally feel like (kind of just gunning off everyone else) super inactive accounts of like, Red Level or Lower can be deleted.

If like, 8 years passes and someone REALLY wants to come back but like, their original account had like 10 posts total, I think they could live with making another account.

I'd be a bit upset because I have the full rainbow paw status; but there are so many accounts that are made here where the people use them for like, testing purposes, or just like a week and then go forever.

Thank you. This is what I'm talking about. I know that we need to keep open arms and all that but if someone really wants to come back after 8 years and haven't made a single post, I'm sure they won't mind or won't notice and just make a new account.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - gay

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 593
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 01:11:04 am »
There's still not really a reason to do it, especially since we don't have a tool to just mass-delete accounts
Unless there's a reason I can't think of? :O
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 01:19:23 am »
I guess you are right. You stated before that there's no real need to do this. It's not like there's TOO many accounts and the site is only going to allow like 5 more to ever be made unless some get deleted.

But at the same time I'm like an extreme neat freak and OCD so I get a bit annoyed at those types of accounts.

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 02:30:31 am »
I think this topic has been raised before. From what I remember, we aren't in any need to start deleting accounts en masse and it betrays our philosophy of archiving content on the site. Deleting all of these accounts removes a lot of history from the site and it isn't particularly welcoming for members that may wish to return. As others have said a filter is a more practical solution. Hopefully one could be implemented with the arrival of the new site.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

• Orange Level
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 08:32:31 am »
I supposed so. The points raised here do make a lot of sense and I suppose there's no reason to continue the thread. :/  :lock: Thanks to everyone who participated. :3
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - gay