Author Topic: Laptop problems  (Read 1086 times)

Offline 1

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 31
Laptop problems
« on: May 11, 2014, 10:14:47 pm »
I havee about a year old laptop

It used to game fine and stuff

But now its gaming quality has gone down on games i used to be able to run fine

I got all the viruses off my pc(i think)

And ive done a bunch of other stuff...

If anyone has any really good AV programs or tips to help it would be really appreciated
I use malware bytes too..

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 273
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Re: Laptop problems
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 10:19:15 pm »
The lifespan of laptops are very short when compared to desktops. Because they are so behind in desktop technology, they fall behind by around the two year mark. Even though your laptop is one year old, you may notice the quality getting down because the power of the laptop is just incomparable with the quality of the programs (such is the case for me). Try turning some settings down in games, it should help

Oh, and make sure to check your fan to make sure its not clogged (it happened to me and it caused problems)

Not really a techie person myself, but you gotta make sure your laptop has all its internal parts. There are so many thieves nowadays stealing these parts and selling them on the market again. You gotta be careful!
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline Malifor

• Green Level
  • Candies: 73
  • No
    • FurAffinity - malifor2210
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 10:23:41 pm »
It's not all virus and stuff that can slow down your laptop. My laptop is also 3 years old (a crappy alright Alienware one) Try to make sure that your exhaust or the fan is completely clear of dust, it's what happens to me unbelievably but an easy air duster can do it. Another is that try to clear up as much clutter going on at the same time you are going to game, check task manager to see which programs you don't want on and clear those or end the process but make sure you can ( don't want to be ending the system32 process lol) Programs like skype,  some web browsing thingie (chrome for me) Itunes,  Utorrent. Basically stuff that you thought you closed down but aren't. So far that what I do to get my laptop back in shape.

Offline Feather

• alpha dragon
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 30
  • call me skyler!
    • FurAffinity - FeatherSouls
  • Fursona Species: norwegian forest cat
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 10:28:07 pm »
clear out yor file and program!! make sure there enough spac and there isnt uneccesary stuf cloging yor comput. get external hard dribe, mayb?? also make sur everythn is up to date and tweek settings to mak thing run smoother.
take worb from tech savy birb. i learned it from birb school,which is for birbs
  • Pronouns: they/them/their

Offline Adrian G.

• Full-Time Aperture Laboratories Test Subject
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 5
    • DeviantArt - saxlover98
    • FurAffinity - saxlover98
    • Twitter - @adrianthehusky
    • My Personal Website
  • Fursona Species: Husky
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 12:12:21 am »
A few things you could try are
  • Checking what's running at startup. Use the Startup tab in the Task Manager to disable them (only disable it if you know what is is).
  • Run Disk Cleanup. Open it and select all the check boxes, then run it. It won't get rid of anything importaint, only junk used by the OS like the thumbnail cache (which it automatically rebuilds) I got 10 GB of space back once by running it
  • Uninstall programs you don't need. Usually if you get a laptop from HP or any major brand it comes with junk on it. Those programs take up space, and resources. Uninstall the ones you don't use. (Don't uninstall anything like your graphics card software though.)
Those are the top three things I can think of off the top of my head.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Avatar drawn by @AvantoFolf on Twitter
The FT Steam Group:

My Profile:

Offline Ayzure

• Just Perusing.
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 62
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 11:37:58 am »
Try Disk Cleanup or Disk Defragger. (I think that's what they're called)

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 299
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 01:36:07 pm »
As already stated, first uninstall any unwanted programs or programs you haven't used for a while - especially ones that run in the background!
Then defrag your harddrive, it honestly does speed up your PC, if even a little, noticeably.
Download and run ADWcleaner by Xplode, that'll see if you have any adware running on your PC.
Do a high priorty, strict virus scan searching everything and anything with high heuristic detection to make sure that there is nothing.

Or if you really want to speed up your laptop, factory reset it or install a faster OS on it! :fox-:P:
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline Kookerus

• Red Level
  • Candies: 2
  • Fursona Species: Labrador Wolf
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 09:30:03 pm »
I havee about a year old laptop

It used to game fine and stuff

But now its gaming quality has gone down on games i used to be able to run fine

I got all the viruses off my pc(i think)

And ive done a bunch of other stuff...

If anyone has any really good AV programs or tips to help it would be really appreciated
I use malware bytes too..
what are your system specs and OS?
I'd also recommend getting registry recycler if you're on windows

Offline 1

• Yellow Level
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 10:02:02 pm »
well im running an

Hp envy m6 sleekbook

Integrated

Amd A10 Cpu with an 8610G integrated graphics card... - 512 mbs reserved for that GFX card

(i know integrated sucks)

Processor i believe is 2.1 GHZ but may be mistaken

OS is Windows 8.1 64 bit

Offline Kookerus

• Red Level
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 03:54:52 pm »
well im running an

Hp envy m6 sleekbook

Integrated

Amd A10 Cpu with an 8610G integrated graphics card... - 512 mbs reserved for that GFX card

OS is Windows 8.1 64 bit
i have to ask this, did it come with 8.1? if not, did it slow down after you updated to 8.1?

Offline 1

• Yellow Level
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 04:04:32 pm »
well im running an

Hp envy m6 sleekbook

Integrated

OS is Windows 8.1 64 bit
i have to ask this, did it come with 8.1? if not, did it slow down after you updated to 8.1?

it may have slowed down because i updated it to win 8

Offline Midnight

• Hakuna Matata - No worries.
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 20
  • When pigs fly!
  • Fursona Species: Wolf Thingy.
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 10:43:24 pm »
Windows 8 runs faster despite being a newer OS (Has lower RAM requirements)
My laptops get that way after a few years. You just have to re-install your operating system, and you'll be good to go. An A10 CPU is in fact not that old of a processor, and should run basic games without issue. As always, use compressed air (Not from those can things, use an air compressor) to blow out the CPU and or chipset heatsinks. This should allow your computer to run cooler and more effectively. You can also use a good few programs. PM me if you want more info.

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 02:43:40 pm »
Check the time on your laptop's clock (rh side, systems tray). If it's running slow, could be the laptop's battery petering out. Its lithium and should be okay to replace. Also check how much space your hard drive has. It might be getting filled up with all those games. How much memory has it onboard? Try having less tabs up, see if that works. Or, it could be a Java script that's causing your laptop to run slow.

Offline Kookerus

• Red Level
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 04:54:35 pm »
Windows 8 runs faster despite being a newer OS (Has lower RAM requirements)
My laptops get that way after a few years. You just have to re-install your operating system, and you'll be good to go. An A10 CPU is in fact not that old of a processor, and should run basic games without issue. As always, use compressed air (Not from those can things, use an air compressor) to blow out the CPU and or chipset heatsinks. This should allow your computer to run cooler and more effectively. You can also use a good few programs. PM me if you want more info.
Windows 8 boots in 30 seconds for me. hen I got the 8.1 update and it just killed the speed.

Offline Kookerus

• Red Level
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 04:56:18 pm »
Check the time on your laptop's clock (rh side, systems tray). If it's running slow, could be the laptop's battery petering out. Its lithium and should be okay to replace. Also check how much space your hard drive has. It might be getting filled up with all those games. How much memory has it onboard? Try having less tabs up, see if that works. Or, it could be a Java script that's causing your laptop to run slow.
the CMOS battery wouldn't have that much to do with it, would it?

EDIT: I hate JS. someone needs to make a simple framework for integrating python with HTML
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 04:59:55 pm by Kookerus »

Offline Applefolf

• Purple Level
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 05:41:46 pm »

EDIT: I hate JS. someone needs to make a simple framework for integrating python with HTML
I believe she's on about the main battery that powers the laptop's internals. :fox-:P: How long does it last on a single charge? The  quicker it drains than the more you need to buy a new one.
Of course, if your system clock is slow or keeps falling out of sync, unless you can access the CMOS battery there's not much you can do about it...
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline Kookerus

• Red Level
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 05:54:33 pm »

I believe she's on about the main battery that powers the laptop's internals. :fox-:P: How long does it last on a single charge? The  quicker it drains than the more you need to buy a new one.
Of course, if your system clock is slow or keeps falling out of sync, unless you can access the CMOS battery there's not much you can do about it...
CMOS battery is probably soldered on.
You know how laptop manufactures work. "Buy our stuff and buy the exact same thing in two years"

Offline Applefolf

• Purple Level
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 06:06:48 pm »

You know how laptop manufactures work. "Buy our stuff and buy the exact same thing in two years"
Ugh yes I hate it that they soldier some stuff on, and then ruin the laptop so that it'll break earlier than it needs to (bloatware, poor cooling etc)!
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline Kookerus

• Red Level
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 06:28:03 pm »

Ugh yes I hate it that they soldier some stuff on, and then ruin the laptop so that it'll break earlier than it needs to (bloatware, poor cooling etc)!
My friend is going to build a suitcase "laptop". basically a custom desktop made portable and put in a suicase

Offline Applefolf

• Purple Level
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 06:41:07 pm »
^ Oh my goodness I wanted to do that once! Although it will be hard and not as portable.
They look cool though, like something out of a James Bond movie!
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~