Author Topic: Wolfenstein: The New Order  (Read 471 times)

Offline Marius

• FT's Otter
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 57
    • FurAffinity - ~marius
  • Fursona Species: Otter
Wolfenstein: The New Order
« on: May 24, 2014, 05:37:59 pm »
This review will focus on the PC version of the game with keyboard and mouse but also controllers to see how well the console version works.

Wolfenstein the new order was released on PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One and PC on May 20th

Europe, 1946. World War II rages across Europe. Where once the Allies pressed advantage, the Nazi forces have turned the tide in dramatic fashion behind the technologically advanced war machine of General Wilhelm Strasse -- Deathshead. When a final Allied assault on Deathshead's compound fails, the Allies' greatest hope falls with it. Europe, 1960. The war is over. And the Nazis are triumphant victors. Using unrelenting force and brutal intimidation, the Nazis have brought even the most powerful nations to their knees. The Nazi regime now rules the globe (and Moon they colonized) with an iron fist. You are Captain B.J. Blazkowicz, the American War Hero. After emerging into this world of darkness, you must launch an impossible counter-offensive against the monstrous Nazi regime. Only you dare stand up against an unstoppable army of Nazi robots and hulking Super Soldiers. Only you can stop Deathshead. Only you can rewrite history.

The game itself is very much a FPS but it makes you believe the map is very it's open when it's not I'm afraid, yes the map might be big but it's still secretly holding your hand down corridors but instead of holding your hand it's keeping an eye on you, how you go down that corridor is up to you. Do you go guns blazing through the Nazi embassy? Or do you sneak by and take out your targets silently, Wolfenstein pulls off Stealth and all out chaotic firefights very well. Slide, strangle, shoot your way through hordes of nazis and their monstrositys

The game doesn't follow standard FPS rules, for instance that lame "can only carry two weapons" rule is out of the window and it gets better, how so you might ask? Dual wield pistols? Dual wield assault rifles? Dual wield automatic shotguns? Hell yes! It also doesn't have regenerating health, instead eating dog food and health kits are the only way to get health up. There's also a lean feature that allows you to peak left, right, up and even down. Next thing I love about the game is it's gore system, yes I sound weird saying this but it feels satisfying to blow the head off somebody and the death animations fit in well, if you blast them with a shotgun they go flying backwards, unload a assualt rifle mag into one and his body wil flail about and yes, there's a lot of blood. Now the voice acting is spot on, everybody sounds perfect and acts very well, sometimes you feel hopeless others you feel enraged. Graphics on the other hand, ehh not too bad but could be better, for instance when you cut through fences with your laser it makes it look very low res and I was running everything as high as I could.

The game has a perk tree system that requires you to do certain things in order to achieve different levels e.g kill an enemy with a throwing knife means you'll be able to carry more knifes and so on.

Now the game states to have 20 hours of gameplay, this is true but it isn't really, it's a different timeline with only one difference at that's a character. Yes that is not a joke, I expected better but no.
Next flaw, it questions if killing Nazis is wrong but yet not 5 minutes earlier BJ is laughing at the thought of killing more and now he's questioning if it's right. Last but not least on PC the best amount of frames per second you'll get is 70, I've ran everything at low and still didn't get over 70 and my PC can run BF4 64 man servers at ultra with 120-200 FPS.

In short Wolfenstein is a fantastic reboot to the series and deserves a 9/10 it lacks in areas but damn does it redeem itself well in so many other ways, if you pick up this game you will enjoy it.

My first review so feedback would be nice.  :fox-;):
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 05:42:32 pm by Artemis »
That guy who hasn't got pride colours on his profile.

Offline Varlen

• So Amaze, Such
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 103
  • FTS RESODENT WIERDO SMILE DOOER.
  • Fursona Species: El Skunko!
Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 05:46:20 pm »
You know, I've been thinking about getting this on 360 after seeing adverts for it, and your review has helped that decision. I hate regeneration hp, old school shooters with grab health are my preference.

A little more detail on the game would be nice, how easy and intuitive the controls are, the difficulty and environment, and how much you can be dragged into the fame world or how hard it is to connect with it.

Other than that, very nice =3
  • Flag - banana
  • Award - Beta Tester
Var's Vid of the Week:
Week 13, AK Underwater. If you have any suggestions for the Vid of the Week, pm me! ^.^

Offline Mister_Twiddles

• The lurker
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 29
  • More fun than a kitten covered in cocaine!
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 08:23:55 pm »
Can I add to this?

I liked the armour system and how it took inspiration from older FPS'.  You can just take bits of enemies you had previously killed and nail them to yourself for protection.  It was fun picking up helmets and imagining BJ wearing fifty hats, or taping random bits of metal to yourself and calling it armour. 
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
You'll need to speak up, I'm not wearing any pants!

Discord: Mister_Twiddles#6928

Hit me up, I'm bored!