Author Topic: Jethro's Tips for College  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
Jethro's Tips for College
« on: May 30, 2014, 10:36:58 am »
Hey hey. School year is winding down for most of you guys and I know a couple of you are currently soon-to-be graduating high school seniors going on to bigger and better things. College! And it can be a pretty stressful time. It's also completely different. So I'm going to just post some random tips and advice I have either read on other websites, experienced myself, or just thought of. warning this is going to be a long post. I'll try to make it into an easy to read format.

- Let’s start off with something fun. College is fun; it can be fun. It can be whatever you make it. You get to make your own schedule and you get to do your own things. Nobody is forcing you to make decisions. You can have classes all in the morning and leave your evenings free. Or you can sleep in every day and have all night classes. Or you can be like me and put a bulk of classes in one or two days and then have an entire day in the week off. (Woo no Fridays!) You won't have parents or teachers down your back. Do things that you think you will like, and if anything happens, you can still change it. [Given a certain time interval].

- Learn about your professors before you take their class. Seriously. Some professors (they are not really called teachers anymore) can make or break a class. Use "ratemyprofessor" websites. Ask people who have taken them before. Don’t go blind into a class. At least try to know if they have any type of accent that might be difficult to understand.

- Develop routines.  You’ll have a whole different life in college. Free time becomes work time, work time becomes free time. You will need to balance out everything. It is possible don’t worry. Make a certain day of the week solely for doing work if you need to. Give yourself a day off once in awhile.

- The work will be harder, but not as frequent. There is no 8 hour choo-choo-train school any more. Classes will be two or three times a week (sometimes only one) and they can span from one to three hours long. In highschool, an 8 hour day for 5 days is 40 hours of school. In college (for me at least) it is about 3-4 hours a day for 5 days only being like 15-20 hours. Wow that is a lot less. But it is a higher level of education, so don’t expect less work. You will get assignments that take hours. Labs that require a good amount of time outside the class- your own personal time.

- You will have to live with your roommate. [This only applies to college residents]. Yes, you’ll get a roommate. Maybe two, maybe three. Hate them, love them, love them, it doesn’t matter. For the remaining 8 weeks you will be living with them. See them every day. Share the same facilities. Don’t make their life miserable because they can easily do the same to you. It is best to try to get along and make friends with them. I live in a suite which is 2 rooms together with a bathroom in between and us 4 are pretty much best friends. We lucked out here. On the other hand, my one friend down the hall has a roommate who is loud, is rarely around, very messy, and usually comes back at 4am extremely drunk from parties. But still; you make the best of your situation.

- You will experience a lot of diversity.
The high school I grew up in was very stereotypical. It was a middle-lower class highschool in a nicer part of the ghettos. The majority of the people there were Hispanic or Arabic. Many people were into football, cars, and wearing their pants at their ankles. College is a whole different scene. All types of people go there. And one interest is not any more important than the other. (Unless you go to like, a college for a specific sport or technology). There are hundreds and hundreds of clubs with so many people in them. I joined this university’s GSA club and it’s great. Until this, I have never met a transgendered person outside of the internet before. And now I know a couple of them and talk to them regularly. And it’s not just some hookup club (some people DO go to this club for that reason though). It’s a friendly community of all types of LGBTQ+ people to hang out and discuss topics.
That’s only one club too. There are so many for pretty much every interest. There will be gaming clubs, anime clubs, art clubs, sports clubs, programming clubs, music clubs, you name it.

- From the previous statement - JOIN CLUBS
. It’s the best way to meet people. You already share an interest with people in that club. That’s like almost halfway to becoming friends with them! Clubs offer great things from volunteering activities to recreational activities. And it’s also good for networking. Join an Engineering club and there will be a speaker from a company one day who may one day see that you were there and you could get hired. Networking is important.

- Focus on your studies!  Please please please even if you turn into an antisocial recluse or the life of the party, remember that you are paying (a lot) for your education and that it should always come first. Keep a 3.0+ average and you’ll be fine. Don’t let anything you do or want to do make that grade drop.

- Relationships may be great, or not.  If you had a high school sweetheart, that may change completely. You’ll be living off somewhere else and not be able to see him or her for quite some time. The daily text messages and nighttime Skype calls may not be enough. I’m not saying to breakup with your partner or to expect the worst; but just don’t be too optimistic that you’re going to always live happily ever after with someone. On the other hand, you may find somebody there and have a go and it can work great. Still; I think that schoolwork comes first. (You can tell how many girls I get).

-Nothing you did in high school matters anymore. You seriously can not brag about your life because NO ONE CARES. Everyone has their stories. If you go around with a snobby attitude saying "Well, I was my school's Valedictorian" you will be ignored and have a bad time. You don't have to stop being yourself but understand that you won't be given attention for acting out. No more drama kings or queens. If you're going to college to seek attention you'll instantly hate your life.

-Become independant. Professors won’t always tell you what homework to do at the end of class like in high school. They give you a syllabus at the beginning of the year with the assignments and due dates and that is about it. This isn’t always the case so don’t get too scared. But still; you will be a lot more responsible for your work. And begging to move a due date probably won’t work.

- Be healthy.  College “dining hall” food is usually 4/10 to 6/10 quality. It’s quick, cheap, edible. The good tasting stuff is usually really bad for you though and the good stuff usually tastes terrible. My advice: eat cereal and fruit. I have a bowl of either Raisin Bran or Cheerios every day with a side of an apple or banana. It can’t be terrible quality because it’s just cereal and fruit, and it’s actually good for you. My one roommate has a diet of only french fries and cheeseburgers every single day and we’re surprised he hasn’t had a heart attack yet.

-Be confident in yourself. You're going to college! You're an adult! You can and will be successful in life. Put your big boy pants on and have the determination to achieve great things. Don't be scared.

-Be smart about the choices you make. Technically, I'm not allowed to say anything pertaining illegal doings such as alcohol or parties. But also, I can't pretend they don't exist. They do. You may be tempted into going, but please be smart if you do or don't. However, you don't need to treat these parties like they are something of the plague. If you don't want to go, people aren't really going to make a big deal about it. Statistically, around 82% of college freshmen DO drink alcohol. But hey that's not 100%. I went to college expecting there to be only parties 24/7 and if I wasn't getting myself wasted every night I would not fit in. wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. It's totally fine to be safe and smart. (But hey, don't be completely anti-parties except I'm really not allowed to go further on that).

-Don't try to become sex-obsessed. A lot of people want to go to college to "score". Or "experiment" with their ideas and sexuality. Girls will like you a lot better if you're wealthy and successful. Not some young dude that has a nervous blush every five minutes.

-Talk to your parents once in awhile. They miss you! Really! I do not care if you hate your mother or your father never gave you enough hugs. Your parents are still your parents. They are helping you pay for this. They want to hear from you and make sure you are doing okay. I can't say I have the best, or worst relationship with my mother. But I called her every Friday night to tell her how my week went. I can't tell how happy that made her. Seriously, don't make them think you died or something.

So that is about all I can think of for now. I may add some more eventually. If anyone has any major concerns just shoot me a message. And some people may disagree with these tips, possibly older members. But they are just tips, nothing more. Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:04:50 am by Jethro »

Offline Proto

• YES
  • Candies: 224
  • Wonder what happens if you do the when but not if
    • DeviantArt - TinyProto
    • FurAffinity - tinyproto
  • Fursona Species: Gray Fox
Re: Jethro's Tips for College
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 10:53:59 am »
Those are some very good tips. Thanks for them! I'm sure they'll come in handy since college here and over there mustn't be that different.
  • Flag - mexico
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
~~Heart completely belongs to Red Velvet~~
Taking on commissions!
 Here are my prices

"Have you gone yoicks?!" - Soren, Guardians of Ga'hoole

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 586
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 11:26:25 am »
Awesome post  :lion:
I've never lived on campus so I can't comment on that, but I do agree with pretty much everything else! College is a burst of sudden independence, so its understandably overwhelming for most people.

I'd love to write a section specifically for commuters (since different things apply, or apply more/less for them) if I ever get the motivation  :fox-:P:
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline NightF0x

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 178
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 11:31:41 am »
Go in with a plan. That's where I screwed up and now I'm at a point that I may not be able to get into ANY major. Plan out college early kiddos.
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 12:34:15 pm »
Commuters can join clubs too! And yes Panda that would be great if you wrote your own little thing.

Offline Whiskey

• Stop.
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 21
  • Panda time.
    • FurAffinity - redwhiskey
    • Twitter - @WHISKEY_THO
  • Fursona Species: Ailurus fulgens
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 12:40:47 pm »
You forgot to mention office hours. Office hours are a must if you're struggling or want to get that 89.9 bumped up to a 90. They also let your TA/professor know that you really care about the course and want to succeed. Plus, they might drop valuable hints about an upcoming paper or exam!
-Biology Student, Researcher, Aspiring Medical Professional, Businessman in Training-

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 213
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 01:54:02 pm »
Some excellent advice there, well written and with humour. :)

Offline Call me Sam for short

• Green Level
  • Candies: 101
  • bottom text
  • Fursona Species: is bat
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 02:07:28 pm »
Bookmarked so I can have another look at it when I go to college.
  • Pronouns: No preference
\/^˙‾˙^\/

Offline Malifor

• Green Level
  • Candies: 73
  • No
    • FurAffinity - malifor2210
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 05:52:50 pm »
I'm really glad that you posted these Jethro. ^^ It'll def reduce some of my stress already hehe. Although nice tips for the living on campus, to bad I live off-campus.~

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 08:20:09 pm »
I'm totally going to bump this thread because it's a decent bit into summer now and I'm sure the stress might be coming back up.

And these tips could apply for non-college students as well. Remember to also click the two links in my signature because they are pretty helpful reads.

I've got about a month until I start back up, I'm a bit excited because I enjoyed college and having friends all the time!

Offline Aimee

• Red Level
  • Candies: 2
    • Twitter - aimeec110
    • My website
  • Fursona Species: Husky Puppy Girl
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 06:13:12 am »
Reading this made me think. What age is College in the US? In the UK it's 16-18. So some of these point may be a little bit but not fully different.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:22:28 am by LoryV »
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Aimee

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 06:42:31 am »
Americans usually start college around 18-19 years old. Some people take a break year after high school to either just relax or find a job.

Offline Aimee

• Red Level
  • Candies: 2
    • Twitter - aimeec110
    • My website
  • Fursona Species: Husky Puppy Girl
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 07:29:02 am »
Americans usually start college around 18-19 years old. Some people take a break year after high school to either just relax or find a job.

See at that age I'll be looking at University.
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Aimee

Offline Drakefoxaroo

• Desert Dweller
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 143
  • The Roo abides
    • FurAffinity - drakethefox
  • Fursona Species: Foxaroo
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 04:13:55 pm »
If I can add my own tip here: I cannot stress the importance of meeting people enough. Studying and doing well is incredibly important but if you don't go out and meet people during your first year, then you're going to have a lonely college experience.
  • Pronouns: him
We breathe in the heat of the eternal flame, the warmth of desert sands.
We submerge into the waters of the Mystery, giving thanks for the cleansing rains.
We are enveloped in the radiance of the cosmos.
And we are the center, the bridge between realms.

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 586
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 10:43:44 pm »

See at that age I'll be looking at University.

University = college here c: So this is a "guide to your optional post-school education", pretty much  :fox-:P:
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline char coal .18

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 15
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Fursona Species: pitbull
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 12:32:10 pm »
this will be useful for next year i wonder if this aplies to trade schools
Bob Marley says don't  worry be happy if yor having a bad day.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo4OnQpwjkc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DOo4OnQpwjkc

Don't f*** with the back woods pitbull