Author Topic: Maleficent  (Read 972 times)

Offline GrayWolf

• A lone wolf, but one with many friends.
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 38
  • Love is not life; love enhances life~Green Fairy
  • Fursona Species: Timber Wolf
Maleficent
« on: May 31, 2014, 11:46:43 pm »
What I like: Angelina Jolie as one of Disney's greatest baddies was brilliant! I have no problems with seeing her as Maleficent. From scene one, you can tell she's having a lot of fun in this role, giving all she's got into fleshing Maleficent out,  and we definitely see the evil (and later redemption) in her. This movie, while changing things a lot from the 1959 version, does a very good job at showing us the tragedy behind the villain. She's also given a decent back story, and a really good reason why she wants to kill Aurora. Speaking of which, the relationship between Maleficent and Aurora is pretty damn good too, it's not the best, but I can see a sort of friendship between them. I also really like the style and CGI of the movie, as it gives a more fantasy feel to the movie more than the 1959 film. So basically, the SFX was really good. One other thing I like is that we see how much of a lunatic Stefan is in this version, as it gives him for a complexity than the older film. Lastly, one of my most favorite things about this movie is this twist at the ending, and without giving too much away, let's just say that it really shows how much Maleficent isn't that much of a true villain.

What I don't like: You know how in the 1959 version that the three good fairies were one of the highlights of the film? Well the three fairies in Maleficent are the exact opposite. Good God are they annoying! I don't know what Disney did, but they messed them up big time. Every scene they were in made me keep wondering how exactly Aurora managed to survive up to her sixteenth birthday. Hell, even Maleficent and Stefan point this out in the last two-thirds! Also, the movie tends to be rushed at times, and feels a bit too quick at certain moments. But then again, Sleeping Beauty wasn't exactly a magnum opus for pacing either.

Personally, I think it's an okay movie. If you're a fan of Disney's Sleeping Beauty, this is a good movie to check out. I had fun watching Maleficent, and may be watching it again in the future. 6.5/10
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 11:56:18 pm by Domus Vocis »
I consider myself a lone wolf, but I don't mind a friend or two to talk with. I also happen to be a writer.

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." ~Ray Bradbury

Offline weblacie

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 186
Re: Maleficent
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 11:56:31 pm »
Loved this movie. I personally give it a 9/10, but that's just me.
I've left (again), probably for good but idk. If you wanna talk to me outside the forum, feel free to email me. Just tell me who you are in the email pls

Offline Sharkbait★

• gay purple sparkleshark
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 119
  • bee bop to the top
    • DeviantArt - sharkdivus
    • FurAffinity - Shark-Bait
  • Fursona Species: Bull shark
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 06:52:51 pm »
(OBVIOUS SPOILERS)

I have to agree with everything. I also loved that they didn't do the cliche "true loves kiss" thing, but at the same time, they did the exact same thing with Frozen. Kinda seems that's their new 'thing'... still a great movie, nonetheless! I want to cosplay Maleficent so badly.
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline Crow done

• We Are Not Things
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 111
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 02:33:17 pm »
Okay, I loved Maleficent, but I have a serious issue with how they portrayed her.

In the original Sleeping Beauty movie, Maleficent was just this cruel, angry woman who had no reason to be evil other than she was, and who was also insulted about not being invited to Aurora's celebration.

I think they tried too hard to redeem her and be all "Look! She's not totally evil and wicked" but this nicer Maleficent doesn't feel much like Maleficent to me at all, she kind of feels like a new character. Maleficent didn't need to be redeemed, I didn't like that they did that.

I did enjoy that the "True Love's Kiss" didn't come from the prince though. I like that Disney is sending the message that True Love can come from more than just the Man/Woman of your dreams.
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
"The true warrior is good, gentle and honest. His bravery comes from within himself; he learns to conquer his own fears and misdeeds." -- Brian Jacques, Mattimeo

Omg your nipple dogs are amazing! So creative!!! 100% original, I'm jealous of your talent
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwing
i have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Online Mystic

• Christmas cow
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 830
  • Merry and Bright
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 05:34:49 pm »
I loved Maleficent, there was defiantly some flaws with the movie but overall I really enjoyed it and would give it a 9 out of 10
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by CupcakeCreature | Signature by Red Velvet

Offline Dragon's Daughter

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 22
  • OI! YES, I'M BARKIN' AT YOU, YOU NINNY!
    • DeviantArt - periwinklelioness
    • FurAffinity - periwinklelioness
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 10:14:44 am »
I felt really awkward while I was watching it...
I'm really not the type to squeal at boys ... Or gather up my skirts...

Online Mystic

• Christmas cow
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 830
  • Merry and Bright
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 06:02:12 pm »

Just out of curiosity what do you mean by this? Like was it a specific scene that you found awkward or was it the acting etc...
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by CupcakeCreature | Signature by Red Velvet

Offline Dragon's Daughter

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 22
  • OI! YES, I'M BARKIN' AT YOU, YOU NINNY!
    • DeviantArt - periwinklelioness
    • FurAffinity - periwinklelioness
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 01:07:30 pm »

Just out of curiosity what do you mean by this? Like was it a specific scene that you found awkward or was it the acting etc...
I was wearing those ridiculous 3d glasses, sitting next to my former partner, and the whole movie felt like "Hello trees! Hello flowers and birds! Isn't it a nice day, Mr. Rainbow?" and if you knew me personally, you'd know I am NOT a lass to be twisting up her skirts and going helium- headed because of the loony-goofness in a movie.
I'm really not the type to squeal at boys ... Or gather up my skirts...

Offline Assan

• It is pronounced Ah-San
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 122
  • Beep
    • DeviantArt - Assan Dracomorph
    • FurAffinity - Assan
    • Dungeon Master's Compedium
  • Fursona Species: Golden Dragon
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 09:25:33 pm »
I loved the movie, I normally don't like movies they go to slow for me and I like a good story more than action so those don't normally work either. Thus one though when he turned into a dragon I was rooting for them and at the beginning I was truly touched by the love they showed each other and I wanted to kill him myself when he betrayed her.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Tiny Bisexual Pride Dragon -> Now Tiny Rainbow Hearts ->
Hope you enjoyed  :fox-:P:

Offline Spooky Azkre

• Work in Progress
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 254
  • Legend
    • DeviantArt - Afrodens
    • Main Site
  • Fursona Species: 'Kitsune'
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 11:22:58 pm »
I actually just got finished watching the film. XD

Personally, I think the movie was good, visuals could have been better, but they were good. I am most dissapointed in the underdeveloped story, characters, and acting. I appreciate that it tried to diverge from the cliche plot, but it could have been better far better written and presented. But, it is Disney,so I suppose it's to be expected.
  • Pride Flag - genderfluid
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: They/She/He

Main site --> http://azkre.tumblr.com/

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 213
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 09:49:05 am »
Maleficent for me was a bit too 'dark'. Angelina Jolie strutted her stuff predictably well, sultry pouts making me feel hot, but altogether I didn't feel all that comfortable with the movie.